Do Speed Limits Matter?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by insein, Jul 12, 2005.

1. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Thanks =d= For the link. Continuing a discussion that started in another thread, this info adds to my argument as to why we shouldnt have such ridiculous speed limits.

http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/a-slmatr.html

2. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    I will agree 100%. I mentioned in another thread about my driving on the Autobahn and Autostrada. I drove everything from a little 2 cylinder Fiat to a Saab Turbo, Porsche, etc.

Everybody knows what you are supposed to do. Nearly everybody does it. I never drove above 120 mph and that was rare. Yes, there were people flying past me...and others who just cruised along with me.

These days (now that I am older and wiser, hack, cough), I rarely go above 90 mph. And that main reason?

I don't trust the other people around me.

3. nosarcasm

nosarcasm Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +68
    there are several differences between the Autobahn and German
    traffic rules and especially mandatory car safety inspections.

I was surprised how often I saw tires blow in the US. It seldomly
    happens in Germany because depending on the age on your
    car on average they have every two year an inspection.
    They check your brake system and your tires. That forces
    you to replace faulty parts on your car.

Germany has also a rule you are not allowed to pass on the right.
    The ramps have longer straight leading into the autobahn so you
    can pick up to 65 miles, the speed of trucks. Trucks usually
    are exepected to keep on the right.

In areas with strong traffic, like around large cities usually
    there is a 75 miles speed limit because a lot of cars have
    to pass trucks and if you would be allowed to go 100+ miles
    this had proven to dangerous.

The discussion about speeding is not limited to the highways
    and while it is discussable if 65,75, or 80 would be still
    reasonably safe for the US if you want to go much faster
    you would need a crashprotection in the middle of all highways.

The argument that speed limits do not work does not hold much
    either because the average speed within cities seems to be 35 -45
    not 100 miles.

4. Variati0nal

Variati0nal Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Speed limits really matter only to the inexperienced driver, and only to anyone else when there're a lot of cops around. The majority of people I know drive at a speed they feel comfortable at in each individual area, whether or not that is below or above the speed limit. If the roads are bad, you drive slower, if they're fine and the coast is clear, you drive faster. Speeding is against the law, but so is murder, and you see both happening anyway.

5. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    DING! DING! DING!

There's an area out by me (in the sticks) where the speed limit is 50mph.. It's all curves, bumps, and dips.. Single lane on each side.. It's not *safe* to do 50mph there, because the lanes are exceptionally narrow, and it's overpopulated by deer.. So, I don't. Common sense.

6. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    This is an interesting topic. Speed limits matter less in countries where people are good drivers and matter more in countries where people are bad drivers. Unfortunately the US fits the latter category.

If the US made it much more difficult to get a license by upgrading the skills requirement people could be given more discretion to operate at the appropriate speed for the conditions, rather than a semi-random number. That's pretty much the system in Europe.

In the US the automobile manufacturers and petroleum interests are in favor of the weak standards we have to get and keep a license.

I have lived in Wisconsin, where people think 65 is an entitlement even in freezing rain and ice. Then they are outraged when they spin out and end up in the ditch, "I was doing the speed limit". They don't understand that 65 is the maximum allowed, not the mandatory speed. These people are just stupid and should never have been allowed to get a license. I have also lived in NYC. It's not nice to engage in stereotyping, but Chinese people should not be allowed to get a license in this country if they want to drive like they did in China. It's insane.

Americans think driving is a right, not a privilige. I've been in line at the DMV when the inspector gave a semi-blind old woman hints when she couldn't pass the eye test. Sorry, if you can't see you shouldn't drive. I don't care if it limits your lifestyle.

Make the drivers test much more difficult and perhaps attach an IQ test to it and we won't need speed limits.

7. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    You need to start talking to your liberal friends... they are the ones pushing for giving licenses to people that can't read English. They are the ones pushing to give licenses to anybody that walks in the door. THEY are the ones that make the claim that driving is a RIGHT and NOT a privilidge...

Are you gonna stick by your position or are you now going to change it since it is your liberal friends that hold the position you are so against?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    DING DING DING! :laugh:

There is a highway out in my area where at night you can see headlights coming for a good hour before you ever finally have the car passing you going in the opposite direction. The highway is flat, in an uninhabited area and there are no trees, deer, etc. in the vicitinity. The speed limit is 75, but you often find yourself doing 100 and feeling like you are sitting still.... Sometimes on these desert stretches of highway, if I didn't drive fast, I would probably fall asleep from boredom!

9. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly.. There are some roads where it just doesn't feel right to even go 55, and there are some you just have to go 90+. Nothing but experience will tell you which is which. Of course, then there's the couple daredevils in the world who give everyone else a bad name. :D

10. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I have not in any of my posts stated that I am a liberal. There are people in this world who decide issues on a case by case basis, not according to cookie cutter ideologies like "liberal" or "conservative". Those people are known as free thinkers or independents. Ever heard of this concept? It's difficult because then you have to think for yourself. I wouldn't try it at home if I were you.
    :dance:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1