Do Speed Limits Matter?

-=d=- said:
Change your ways before somebody dies - that's all I can say.
If the idiots that speed and refuse to follow traffic laws die on the road, I guess we won't have a problem..

You can't put the blame for the death of an idiot that wants to speed on people that abide by the speed limits. I can hear it now.."I had an accident and died because people won't get out of my way!"..How lame..and total:bsflag: Oh yea, I killed a few along with me too..

Mr. P said:
If the idiots that speed and refuse to follow traffic laws die on the road, I guess we won't have a problem..

You can't put the blame for the death of an idiot that wants to speed on people that abide by the speed limits. I can hear it now.."I had an accident and died because people won't get out of my way!"..How lame..and total:bsflag: Oh yea, I killed a few along with me too..

Re-Read.

"I block speeders in"

That's aggressive and dangerous...self-righteous too.
Most states have Traffic-Flow laws under which people can be prosecuted for driving to slowly REGARDLESS if they were doing the actual limit, or not.

"If Idiots who drive in the left lane without ACTUALLY being in the act of passing, would follow traffic laws would die, the freeways would be MUCH safer places"

-=d=- said:
"If Idiots who drive in the left lane without ACTUALLY being in the act of passing, would follow traffic laws would die, the freeways would be MUCH safer places"

:clap: :clap: :clap:

If people would follow this one traffic LAW, many accidents would be avoided.

-=d=- said:
Re-Read.

"I block speeders in"

That's aggressive and dangerous...self-righteous too.
Most states have Traffic-Flow laws under which people can be prosecuted for driving to slowly REGARDLESS if they were doing the actual limit, or not.

The terminology is "driver faster/slower than it is safe." This pertains to the people driving slowly in the fast lane, impeding traffic, and causing problems with traffic flow. This also pertains to the idiot who tries to drive 55 when the actual speed on the freeway at that time, due to congestion, is 25.

-=d=- said:
What planet are you on? People only in the left lane to pass...Not anywhere in the country I've ever been in....Speeders just want their "own" lane that's all..Nice try.:p:

Mr. P said:
What planet are you on? People only in the left lane to pass...Not anywhere in the country I've ever been in....Speeders just want their "own" lane that's all..Nice try.:p:

It's State LAW in Washington, and likely YOUR state too...(shrug).

The problem is, it's a VERY small ticket, so the Washington Revenue Patrol doesn't seem to cite drivers often.

:-/

-=d=- said:
It's State LAW in Washington, and likely YOUR state too...(shrug).

The problem is, it's a VERY small ticket, so the Washington Revenue Patrol doesn't seem to cite drivers often.

:-/
You won't like this..
I agree slower traffic keep right etc. That's our Law. BUT, if you're running the "speed limit" in the left lane, you're NOT slower traffic. So there ya go..it's about abiding by the law, isn't it? You don't have a case.

Speeders are dangerous, but how many of you have driven in LA? If you are not keeping with the flow of traffic (even if the flow is speeding) you are creating just as much of a hazard.

Mr. P said:
You won't like this..
I agree slower traffic keep right etc. That's our Law. BUT, if you're running the "speed limit" in the left lane, you're NOT slower traffic. So there ya go..it's about abiding by the law, isn't it? You don't have a case.

Back up to where I mentioned Traffic FLOW laws... ;)

Not everyone's speedometer is the same...At times, people MUST drive faster than the speed limits to facitilate safety, and proper flow. I think you're in denial.

freeandfun1 said:
Speeders are dangerous, but how many of you have driven in LA? If you are not keeping with the flow of traffic (even if the flow is speeding) you are creating just as much of a hazard.
I have, along with most of the other large citys in the country..But, just because everyone else is speeding still doesn't make it right, nor safe.
Is this a "we all speed, no one abides by the law, so if you do you are a problem"? Or is it

something else? :bang3:

-=d=- said:
Back up to where I mentioned Traffic FLOW laws... ;)

Not everyone's speedometer is the same...At times, people MUST drive faster than the speed limits to facitilate safety, and proper flow. I think you're in denial.
Yeah that's it, denial!:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Mr. P said:
I have, along with most of the other large citys in the country..But, just because everyone else is speeding still doesn't make it right, nor safe.
Is this a "we all speed, no one abides by the law, so if you do you are a problem"? Or is it

something else? :bang3:
You totally ignored the point. Nobody is saying it is right. The point is, accidents are often cause because somebody is not keeping with the flow of traffic. They are doing 55 when everybody else is doing 75 and when thet decide to switch lanes, what happens?? BAM! Accident.

Mr. P said:
I have, along with most of the other large citys in the country..But, just because everyone else is speeding still doesn't make it...safe.

Untrue - Cars going the same or similiar speeds travel in MUCH more safety than cars with a great variety of speeds.

Here's WA Left-Lane Law, btw:

RCW 46.61.100
Keep right except when passing, etc.
(1) Upon all roadways of sufficient width a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:

(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;

(b) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway; provided, any person so doing shall yield the right of way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;

(c) Upon a roadway divided into three marked lanes and providing for two-way movement traffic under the rules applicable thereon; or

(d) Upon a street or highway restricted to one-way traffic.

(2) Upon all roadways having two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction, all vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, except (a) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, (b) when traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow, (c) when moving left to allow traffic to merge, or (d) when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit, or into a private road or driveway when such left turn is legally permitted. On any such roadway, a vehicle or combination over ten thousand pounds shall be driven only in the right-hand lane except under the conditions enumerated in (a) through (d) of this subsection.

(3) No vehicle towing a trailer or no vehicle or combination over ten thousand pounds may be driven in the left-hand lane of a limited access roadway having three or more lanes for traffic moving in one direction except when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit, or into a private road or driveway when a left turn is legally permitted. This subsection does not apply to a vehicle using a high-occupancy vehicle lane. A high-occupancy vehicle lane is not considered the left-hand lane of a roadway. The department of transportation, in consultation with the Washington state patrol, shall adopt rules specifying (a) those circumstances where it is permissible for other vehicles to use the left lane in case of emergency or to facilitate the orderly flow of traffic, and (b) those segments of limited access roadway to be exempt from this subsection due to the operational characteristics of the roadway.

(4) It is a traffic infraction to drive continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway when it impedes the flow of other traffic.

(5) Upon any roadway having four or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for two-way movement of traffic, a vehicle shall not be driven to the left of the center line of the roadway except when authorized by official traffic control devices designating certain lanes to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use such lanes, or except as permitted under subsection (1)(b) of this section. However, this subsection shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the center line in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road or driveway.

[1997 c 253 § 1; 1986 c 93 § 2; 1972 ex.s. c 33 § 1; 1969 ex.s. c 281 § 46; 1967 ex.s. c 145 § 58; 1965 ex.s. c 155 § 15.]

Note what is absent. What was NOT written was how I think Most of the uninformed believe:

(2) Upon all roadways having two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction, all vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, except (a) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, (b) when traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow, (c) when moving left to allow traffic to merge, (d) when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit, or into a private road or driveway when such left turn is legally permitted, or (e) As long as you are driving at the speed limit. On any such roadway, a vehicle or combination over ten thousand pounds shall be driven only in the right-hand lane except under the conditions enumerated in (a) through (d) of this subsection.

Another major threat is truckers. Sometimes they create walls and block all lanes of traffic. No trucks in the left lane should be a federal law, not state by state. The reduction of standards in that profession is also scary. Some real idiots out there. :blowup:

For Reference, Nevada's Law:

NRS 484.291 Driving on right half of highway required; exceptions; additional penalty for violation committed in work zone.

1. Upon all highways of sufficient width a vehicle must be driven upon the right half of the highway, except as follows:

(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the laws governing such movements;

(b) When the right half of the highway is closed to traffic;

(c) Upon a highway divided into three lanes for traffic under the laws applicable thereon;

(d) Upon a highway designated and posted for one-way traffic; or

(e) When the highway is not of sufficient width.

2. A person who violates any provision of this section may be subject to the additional penalty set forth in NRS 484.3667.

(Added to NRS by 1969, 1498; A 2003, 3238)

AND a VERY interesting follow-on

NRS 484.295 Overtaking vehicle on left side: Duties of drivers of overtaking and overtaken vehicle; additional penalty for violation committed in work zone.

1. The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive to the right side of the highway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle.

2. Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle upon observing the overtaking vehicle or hearing a signal. The driver of an overtaken vehicle shall not increase the speed of his vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

3. A person who violates any provision of this section may be subject to the additional penalty set forth in NRS 484.3667.

(Added to NRS by 1969, 1499; A 1973, 1325; 2003, 3239)

Translated - If you are being passed, it is illegal to move over in front, as if to block, the car passing. It is also illegal to simply speed-up to prevent the pass.

nucular said:
Another major threat is truckers. Sometimes they create walls and block all lanes of traffic. No trucks in the left lane should be a federal law, not state by state. The reduction of standards in that profession is also scary. Some real idiots out there. :blowup:

I'd say equally as threatening are cars who cut trucks off, or otherwise can't handle the concept of 'sharing' the road.

freeandfun1 said:
You totally ignored the point. Nobody is saying it is right. The point is, accidents are often cause because somebody is not keeping with the flow of traffic. They are doing 55 when everybody else is doing 75 and when thet decide to switch lanes, what happens?? BAM! Accident.
I really don't think it is me that ignored the point.. :duh3:

Mr. P said:
I really don't think it is me that ignored the point.. :duh3:

You wrote:

...just because everyone is speeding, doesn't make it safe...

His point was: Everybody going the same speed +/- is MUCH safer than just a few people driving substantially slower than the rest.

-=d=- said:
I'd say equally as threatening are cars who cut trucks off, or otherwise can't handle the concept of 'sharing' the road.

True. My ex-husaband has driven a truck for 18 yrs. You should see people drive in front of a truck in a storm, or fog. :death:

Forum List

Back