Disney buys Lucasfilm...

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion

Disney is buying Lucasfilm for $4 billion, adding the legendary Star Wars franchise to the entertainment giant's stable of characters. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by founder George Lucas. The purchase culminates a one and a half year pursuit of the Lucas empire, Disney's CEO said.

Disney expects to more aggressively expand the Star Wars film schedule, Iger said in a statement. Following the release of Episode VII in 2015, "our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years," Iger said.

And now for an editorial reply, Darth Vader...

darth-vader-noooo.jpg

Lucas loses control of the franchise. He can't screw it up with any more remastered editions. Disney owns The Avengers and that's a great film. Maybe Disney can get the franchise back on track without Lucas fucking it up.

I'm not seeing the downside.

Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion

Disney is buying Lucasfilm for $4 billion, adding the legendary Star Wars franchise to the entertainment giant's stable of characters. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by founder George Lucas. The purchase culminates a one and a half year pursuit of the Lucas empire, Disney's CEO said.

Disney expects to more aggressively expand the Star Wars film schedule, Iger said in a statement. Following the release of Episode VII in 2015, "our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years," Iger said.

And now for an editorial reply, Darth Vader...

darth-vader-noooo.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyGY8AuS7rU]Pinky and the Brain meet Bill Gates - YouTube[/ame]

:muahaha:

Lucas loses control of the franchise. He can't screw it up with any more remastered editions. Disney owns The Avengers and that's a great film. Maybe Disney can get the franchise back on track without Lucas fucking it up.

Disney also did The Black Hole and John Carter of Mars. They can fuck it up in their own ways.

I also don't see what they could really do with sequels. The Empire makes a comeback? The Sith Return? These are actually the plots of a lot of the novels of the Star Wars universe, and most of them are pretty dreadful.

The weaknesses of the Prequels aside, as a group of six movies, they end where they ought to end.

Also,do we really need to bring back Carrie Fischer and Mark Hammil in their 60's to reprise their roles?

a giant megacorp offers a smaller one a deal it can't refuse.

In related news;

The sun will come out tomorrow.

Only people who care about artistic integrity.

Admittably, that ship left the port in 1999 with this guy...

232980-jar_jar_binks_large.jpeg

Incidently, I'm not a big Star Wars fan. I'd happily have more Star Trek, more Babylon 5 or more Firefly than more Star Wars puke.

In related news;

Incidently, I'm not a big Star Wars fan. I'd happily have more Star Trek, more Babylon 5 or more Firefly than more Star Wars puke.

Artistic integrity died with the original Star Wars.

first movie to have merchandising on a mass scale

In related news;

To a degree.

But it was also groundbreaking in that it was one of the first movies to intergrate special effects fully into a story. And Empire is probably on balance one of the best SF movies ever made in balancing both character and story with FX. Jedi was a weaker film, in that they had to quickly tie everything up, but it had some great moments to it as well.

We wouldn't have gotten a revived Star Trek and B5 and Firefly and Farscape and all that other stuff if we didn't get Star Wars first. It showed Hollywood there was big money to be made in Science FIction. It just wasn't for Nerds anymore.

If there's a movie that has really inflicted hell on us, I would blame the first Star Trek movie. That's the one that told Hollywood, "Hey, you don't have to come up with an original idea. Just recycle/rehash/redo something that used to be on TV." Which means Hollywood takes something we loved from our childhoods and finds ways to screw it up.

Maybe they could remake "Revenge of the Sith" with a better Anakin Skywalker.

Hayden Christensen sucked.

Maybe they could remake "Revenge of the Sith" with a better Anakin Skywalker.

Hayden Christensen sucked.

Hayden did a fine job with the material he was given.

The problem with Sith is that the way it was written, Anakin had to be written as a complete moron.

In related news;

They also have the Indiana Jones franchise now as well.

BTW, without Harrison Ford the original trilogy would have been crap. He gave it some life.

Also we got Hollywood's early take on incest........

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb1-56aC9YY&feature=related]Star Wars-The Kiss - YouTube[/ame]

They were lucky with the mileage they got out of the last three prequals. I seriously doubt they'd maintain audience interest if they were releasing them every other year, as their scope is limited by the fact that the empire was defeated in Return of the Jedi, and Annakin was just out of daipers in The Phantom Menace. They don't really have much more to go on with the core story; and other elements such as the Wookies' homeworld and Boba Fett's background, etc., have been explored in the prequals. If Disney does decide to go down the avenue of releasing a new Star Wars every two or three years, they'll risk alienating the cult following that Lucas and his cast and crew fostered, which would damage the legacy they created beyond repair.

Star Trek has more room for this kind of strategy because of the setting: they're essentially a big police car in an endless number of galaxies with an innumerable number of enemies, known and unknown. It could go on forever with the right blend of creativity and marketing.

They were lucky with the mileage they got out of the last three prequals. I seriously doubt they'd maintain audience interest if they were releasing them every other year, as their scope is limited by the fact that the empire was defeated in Return of the Jedi, and Annakin was just out of daipers in The Phantom Menace. They don't really have much more to go on with the core story; and other elements such as the Wookies' homeworld and Boba Fett's background, etc., have been explored in the prequals. If Disney does decide to go down the avenue of releasing a new Star Wars every two or three years, they'll risk alienating the cult following that Lucas and his cast and crew fostered, which would damage the legacy they created beyond repair.

Star Trek has more room for this kind of strategy because of the setting: they're essentially a big police car in an endless number of galaxies with an innumerable number of enemies, known and unknown. It could go on forever with the right blend of creativity and marketing.

I don't know. If you've ever read the history of the Sith it's pretty complex. Plus going back 900 years and seeing how Yoda became a Jedi would be interesting. They really haven't scratched the surface yet.

[

I don't know. If you've ever read the history of the Sith it's pretty complex. Plus going back 900 years and seeing how Yoda became a Jedi would be interesting. They really haven't scratched the surface yet.

You mean they can make a prequel that sucks more?

Prequels ALWAYS suck. Because how the character came to be is never as interesting as
who the character is.

Did we find Darth Vader more interesting finding him as an annoying kid (Ep. 1) a petulant teenager (Ep 2) or kind of a douchebag who is willing to slaughter children to save his wife? (Ep. 3)?

Is an Episode -4 where Darth Sideous betrays and murders Darth Plagueius really going to be that interesting?

Not saying you can't tell interesting stories in this universe... just not the epic ones you should in a movie.

Forum List

Back