Did Sarah Palin believe the Queen is in charge of the British Military?

The laughter is a little out of place. For it is technically correct to state that the monarch is the commander in chief.

Granted, like the royal position itself, that is mostly "figure-head" stuff. As a practical matter, the prime minister is the real head of the armed forces. But unless the Brits abolish the monarchy all together, it will remain a technical truth that the monarch is the commander in chief of the British Army, the British Navy and the Royal Air Force.
But that's clearly not what Palin had in mind, and it's clearly not what CG is trying to get away with by saying it is true.

British Armed Forces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Commander-in-Chief of the British Armed Forces is the British monarch, at present Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, to whom members of the forces swear allegiance. Under British constitutional law, the armed forces are subordinate to the Crown, however this power is qualified by the requirement for parliamentary consent to the maintaining of a standing army and Parliament's approval of taxation and supply of funds for the armed forces. Under the 1689 Bill of Rights no standing army may be maintained during time of peace without the consent of Parliament[5] and in modern times Parliament gives this consent every five years by passing an Armed Forces Act. Consistent with longstanding constitutional convention, the Prime Minister holds de facto authority over the use of the armed forces.[6] The armed forces are managed by the Defence Council of the Ministry of Defence, headed by the Secretary of State for Defence.

Synthia PWNed himself again? That's twice in one day!

What a retard. :lol:

Yeah. It's so comforting that instead this man is a heartbeat away from the Presidency:

JoeBiden.jpg

Why? What's wrong with him?

Wow, all those posts for calling me stupid for asking one simple question none of them could answer. I love it.

Can't you ever stop lying?

But that's clearly not what Palin had in mind, and it's clearly not what CG is trying to get away with by saying it is true.

The Commander-in-Chief of the British Armed Forces is the British monarch, at present Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, to whom members of the forces swear allegiance. Under British constitutional law, the armed forces are subordinate to the Crown, however this power is qualified by the requirement for parliamentary consent to the maintaining of a standing army and Parliament's approval of taxation and supply of funds for the armed forces. Under the 1689 Bill of Rights no standing army may be maintained during time of peace without the consent of Parliament[5] and in modern times Parliament gives this consent every five years by passing an Armed Forces Act. Consistent with longstanding constitutional convention, the Prime Minister holds de facto authority over the use of the armed forces.[6] The armed forces are managed by the Defence Council of the Ministry of Defence, headed by the Secretary of State for Defence.

Synthia PWNed himself again? That's twice in one day!

What a retard. :lol:

but we were told HBO researched their facts and the movie was FACTUAL..
no wonder the left loved it so...it was made up..

Why? What's wrong with him?

Wow, all those posts for calling me stupid for asking one simple question none of them could answer. I love it.

rderp, you dishonest hack. I did note that you are blind.

But, actually, you are just dishonest.

First off, of course, he was a cheater. Biden Admits Plagiarism in School But Says It Was Not 'Malevolent' - New York Times

Then, VP Biden says absolutely imbecilic things on a regular basis. He is a walking gaffe: Bidenisms - Joe Biden Gaffes and Biden Quotes - Updated Frequently

yeah he and Bush have several things in common.

She is a great public speaker, which is hugely important.

But she just didn't have the knowledge base to run the country.

I have said it before, but it's on point, so I'll risk being repetitive.

She should not have been asked to take the Veep slot. She most certainly was right in choosing NOT to seek the Presidency this time around. What she SHOULD have done was take a year off to just read, read, read, read and then read some more. For example, ALL back issues (going back to the end of the Cold War, at least) of U.S. News and World Report up to the present day. Really digest it all. Then, go ahead and look at the NY Times. Yeah. It is biased, but there's still a decent amount of information you can glean from it.

I bet the members of this Board could compose a list of reading material (The Economist, The NY Times, US News and World Report, a few rocking science journals, a couple of good solid world history books, etc) and getting herself immersed in that could be a good full time job for her for a while. My hunch is that she actually is smart enough to put it all to good use.

Then, but only then, would it make sense for her to combine her political instincts, her speech-making ability and her newly acquired base of knowledge to take a real run at the Presidency.

I agree with that, though, I think Palin shares a degree of burden for not having insight into her own position.

That would include her family situation. My wife and I were sitting there thinking about it. Having a special needs child, a pregnant daughter, and a deployed son alone would be enough additional pressure to drive anyone to an extreme state of fatigue. Add in being under scrutiny from the whole country and I am much more sympathetic to the duress she was under.

It would be hard to turn that down as an ambitious person, but it would have been the smarter move. The time just wasn't right for her personally and professionally.

As a result, she ended up scuttling a promising political career. I am also a little more understanding of why she bailed out as the AK governor so quickly. I think she was just spent.
I agree with both of you, but if it's true that they actually had to explain Germany's role in WWI and WWII, and explain to her what the Axis was, then no amount of U.S. News & World Report would have helped.

She seemed to lack basic American history/social studies/political understanding. Which was fine in Alaska, which gets the least scrutiny of any state.

Last edited:
The laughter is a little out of place. For it is technically correct to state that the monarch is the commander in chief.

Granted, like the royal position itself, that is mostly "figure-head" stuff. As a practical matter, the prime minister is the real head of the armed forces. But unless the Brits abolish the monarchy all together, it will remain a technical truth that the monarch is the commander in chief of the British Army, the British Navy and the Royal Air Force.

Yes, Liability already covered that, dearie. It's not what Palin meant, and you are dishonest if you claim she did.

Yes, Liability already covered that, dearie. It's not what Palin meant, and you are dishonest if you claim she did.

hummm hummm. keep digging

hummm hummm. keep digging
Keep digging what, dope? You don't even know what we are talking about. For that matter, neither does CG - she hasn't seen the movie.

Neither has MILLIONS of millions other people..
but you all keep creaming your jeans over some movie..it's fun to watch

Oh MY GAWD! These right wingers believe that the Queen of England really does run the British government. I'm shocked.

Sarah Palin is not an idiot. Does not every politican have gaffes now and then? I do not think her mistakes exceed the norm, especially since most of 'em were committed back in the day when she was new to the national media. How unfortunate is it that the MSM continually mocks and marginalizes her personally rather than her message. I sometimes wonder if they would treat Palin the same if she were male. Doubt it.

She is absolutely a bona fide fucking idiot of the first degree....

I'm watching "Game Change" and she told Woody that she would support John with his working with the "Queen".

She didn't know what the "Fed" is.

She thought Iraq attacked us on 9/11.

Is this movie for real?

No, it's from the same film makers did the liberal propaganda piece about the Bush/Gore race in Florida.

You know what's really amusing to me? How obsessed so many of you progressives are in proving that a failed Vice Presidential candidate isn't intellegent. In all my years I've never seen anything quite like it. Does anyone out there even remember the names of other failed Vice Presidential candidates after a few years let alone obsess about them? But here is Deanie doing the HuffPo thing three YEARS after the election.

Meanwhile Sarah keeps on making millions because you folks decided that beating her in an election wasn't enough...you had to drive her out of office in Alaska with a barrage of nuisance ethics lawsuits. So now she's a major voice in conservative politics and makes a ton of money from speaking engagements and books.

What's ironic is that the person who DID become Vice President turned out to be one of the bigger idiots we've ever had as a VP.

So tell me who's the idiot...Sarah...or Joe? What's scary is that Joe Biden has been an idiot that has been in Washington since before Watergate.

She is a great public speaker, which is hugely important.

But she just didn't have the knowledge base to run the country.

She should not have been asked to take the Veep slot. She most certainly was right in choosing NOT to seek the Presidency this time around. What she SHOULD have done was take a year off to just read, read, read, read and then read some more. For example, ALL back issues (going back to the end of the Cold War, at least) of U.S. News and World Report up to the present day. Really digest it all. Then, go ahead and look at the NY Times. Yeah. It is biased, but there's still a decent amount of information you can glean from it.

I bet the members of this Board could compose a list of reading material (The Economist, The NY Times, US News and World Report, a few rocking science journals, a couple of good solid world history books, etc) and getting herself immersed in that could be a good full time job for her for a while. My hunch is that she actually is smart enough to put it all to good use.

Then, but only then, would it make sense for her to combine her political instincts, her speech-making ability and her newly acquired base of knowledge to take a real run at the Presidency.

I agree with that, though, I think Palin shares a degree of burden for not having insight into her own position.

That would include her family situation. My wife and I were sitting there thinking about it. Having a special needs child, a pregnant daughter, and a deployed son alone would be enough additional pressure to drive anyone to an extreme state of fatigue. Add in being under scrutiny from the whole country and I am much more sympathetic to the duress she was under.

It would be hard to turn that down as an ambitious person, but it would have been the smarter move. The time just wasn't right for her personally and professionally.

As a result, she ended up scuttling a promising political career. I am also a little more understanding of why she bailed out as the AK governor so quickly. I think she was just spent.

I don't think she had any idea how hard a run for the position was going to be. She had an 80% approval rating in Alaska and when she spoke, Rs really liked her. It probably really surprised her when nobody was giving her a pass on her lack of understanding world issues.

McCain's age became an issue because she couldn't grasp the most simple questions.

Of course she was scared but her rhetoric also became problematic for McCain, he had to correct her on the campaign trail. She was stirring up the extreme element and that was getting scary for the campaign. She has a mean streak, it was funny at first but then became disturbing.

I don't think she had any idea how hard a run for the position was going to be. She had an 80% approval rating in Alaska and when she spoke, Rs really liked her. It probably really surprised her when nobody was giving her a pass on her lack of understanding world issues.

McCain's age became an issue because she couldn't grasp the most simple questions.

Of course she was scared but her rhetoric also became problematic for McCain, he had to correct her on the campaign trail. She was stirring up the extreme element and that was getting scary for the campaign. She has a mean streak, it was funny at first but then became disturbing.

Palin has a "mean streak"? Really? She's tough. She doesn't back down or run away from tough issues. Somehow that was morphed by the liberal attack machine into her being a "bitch". Of course that shouldn't come as a suprise to anyone since that very same machine turned McCain in "McBush" even though only a scant few years earlier he'd been talked about as a running mate for Al Gore.

Palin wasn't just popular with Republicans in Alaska...she was popular with Democrats as well until she got picked to run against Barack Obama. The reason she had one of the highest favorability ratings of the nation's Governors is that she wasn't partisan and WAS competent.

Gee, wouldn't it be nice to have some of THAT in the White House these days?

Palin has a "mean streak"? Really? She's tough. She doesn't back down or run away from tough issues. Somehow that was morphed by the liberal attack machine into her being a "bitch". Of course that shouldn't come as a suprise to anyone since that very same machine turned McCain in "McBush" even though only a scant few years earlier he'd been talked about as a running mate for Al Gore.

Palin wasn't just popular with Republicans in Alaska...she was popular with Democrats as well until she got picked to run against Barack Obama. The reason she had one of the highest favorability ratings of the nation's Governors is that she wasn't partisan and WAS competent.

Oh yeah, Saint Palin of the Teaparty. The entire teaparty is hateful, all they do is spew Obama hate.

She is an extremist christian wingnut.

Oh yeah, Saint Palin of the Teaparty. The entire teaparty is hateful, all they do is spew Obama hate.

She is an extremist christian wingnut.

awww, all they do is spew (Obama Hate)...and we see here on this board still today all you lefties spew about Bush is LOVE
good grief..

remember folks, telling the truth or ANY criticism about Obama is HATE hate hate hate hate

Forum List

Back