Did Israel Just Lose the Battle for Damascus?

Rocco - I think it's extremely important that our nation have this debate on ANY level of 'intervention' in Syria, and consider all possibilities very carefully before we make a decision to act in any way.

I cannot fathom *why* any responsible citizen would advocate attempting anything aside from humanitarian aid, without at least consulting with our allies in the vicinity.

During the Iraq War, about the only news I regularly read and trusted was that reported by Juan Cole.

I was unaware that Cole had any background in journalism. While it's true that Cole is intelligent and articulate, that doesn't qualify him as 'trustworthy' or able to present ALL the relevant information as a good reporter should (and too few anywhere still do!)

During the Iraq War, about the only news I regularly read and trusted was that reported by Juan Cole.
Perhaps you should have read different sources, Frau Sherri, like the Business News which reported that many Iraqis were buying big ticket items and even having plastic surgery. Other news reported that the people said they were happy that they could stage their own plays again. So sad how your insurgent buddies didn't want to see a democracy take root in Iraq. More people showed up to vote in the Iraqi election than you see in many elections in the U.S. even though it was dangerous for them with the insurgents wandering around. Surely Frau Sherri must have read how the Iraqis living here traveled miles and miles to a voting place to cast their vote and even took camcorders with them to record (for them) this historic event.

You people are nuts the Russians and Iranians supply weapons that kill all those people, and at this point Israel would rather see Assad stay i would guess. You damn Israel Jew haters are a pathetic joke
While you Israel Jew first-ers never quite grasp the fact that your Jewish state would not even exist today without billion$ of US taxpayer dollars, right? Israel was created as a Jewish state in the heart of Arab oil for the express purpose killing Arabs and stealing their resources. The rest of the world is catching on fast, and when critical mass is achieved, the Jewish state will vanish from the page of time.

That's a lovely conspiracy theory
Point out the conspiracy:

"In 2007, the Bush Administration and the Israeli government agreed to a 10-year, $30 billion
military aid package spanning from Fiscal Year (FY) 2009 to Fiscal Year 2018.

"During his March 2013 visit to Israel, President Obama pledged that the United States would continue to provide Israel with multi-year commitments of military aid subject to the approval of Congress. P.L. 113-6, the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2013 (informally referred to as
the full-year Continuing Resolution or CR) provides the full FY2013 Administration request for
Israel of $3.1 billion in FMF, of which Israel is permitted $815.3 million in Off-Shore
Procurement.

"The Act also provides for $479.736 million in joint U.S.-Israeli missile defense
programs, including $211 million for Iron Dome, $149.679 million for David’s Sling, $74.692
million for Arrow III, and $44.365 million for Arrow II."

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33222.pd

Divide and conquer is not conspiracy; it's history.
Import an aggressive, privileged minority, arm them to the teeth then set them against the local majority. It worked in northern Ireland in 1609, and it worked in Palestine in 1948. Not to mention much of the North American continent for the last 500 years.

You people are nuts the Russians and Iranians supply weapons that kill all those people, and at this point Israel would rather see Assad stay i would guess. You damn Israel Jew haters are a pathetic joke
While you Israel Jew first-ers never quite grasp the fact that your Jewish state would not even exist today without billion$ of US taxpayer dollars, right? Israel was created as a Jewish state in the heart of Arab oil for the express purpose killing Arabs and stealing their resources. The rest of the world is catching on fast, and when critical mass is achieved, the Jewish state will vanish from the page of time.
More mental masturbation. Israel was established in the ancient ancestral land of the Jews. There was no such thing as a Palestinian Arab nation, the land was under British control and before that for 700 years part if the Turkish Ottoman Empire.
Only the intellectually impotent think of all the nations of this planet, only Jews are entitled to land their ancestors lived on 3000 years ago.

"Since the October War in 1973, Washington has provided Israel with a level of support dwarfing the amounts provided to any other state.

"It has been the largest annual recipient of direct U.S. economic and military assistance since 1976 and the largest total recipient since World War ll.

"Total direct U.S. aid to Israel amounts to well over $140 billion in 2003 dollars. Israel receives about $3 billion in direct foreign assistance each year, which is roughly one-fifth of America's entire foreign aid budget.

"In per capita terms, the United States gives each Israeli a direct subsidy worth about $500 per year. This largesse is especially striking when one realizes that Israel is now a wealthy industrial state with a per capita income roughly equal to South Korea or Spain.”

Without the US taxpayer, a majority of Jews currently living in Israel would still be residing in Europe.

US Aid to Israel and the Palestinians

More mental masturbation. Israel was established in the ancient ancestral land of the Jews. There was no such thing as a Palestinian Arab nation, the land was under British control and before that for 700 years part if the Turkish Ottoman Empire.
Only the intellectually impotent think of all the nations of this planet, only Jews are entitled to land their ancestors lived on 3000 years ago.

"Since the October War in 1973, Washington has provided Israel with a level of support dwarfing the amounts provided to any other state.

"It has been the largest annual recipient of direct U.S. economic and military assistance since 1976 and the largest total recipient since World War ll.

"Total direct U.S. aid to Israel amounts to well over $140 billion in 2003 dollars. Israel receives about $3 billion in direct foreign assistance each year, which is roughly one-fifth of America's entire foreign aid budget.

"In per capita terms, the United States gives each Israeli a direct subsidy worth about $500 per year. This largesse is especially striking when one realizes that Israel is now a wealthy industrial state with a per capita income roughly equal to South Korea or Spain.”

Without the US taxpayer, a majority of Jews currently living in Israel would still be residing in Europe.

As a Jew who is pro - Israeli , I want to thank you for your tax money George :)
It means a lot to us. Even if you're a traitor who faked injury to avoid service .

Nah, those are part of the lies you guys keep repeating. Truth is, Jews have maintained a presence throughout the millennia. Jerusalem has and will always be central to the Jewish faith, and in every Jewish person's heart. In fact many Jews went back after the destruction of the first and second temples, and when Persians ruled the region, they freed the Jews to go back once again, and, there is definite evidence that Jews in Hebron fought the crusaders about 600 years ago. Until the Muslims massacred and committed ethnic cleansing on the Jews of Hebron in 1929.

Every time I read the title of this thread I can't help but think its the equivalent of posting a thead titled: "Did the New York Yankees just lose the NBA Finals?"
Did I miss the Yankees bombing San Antonio?

No, but you missed my point. And if you think Israel bombed targets within Syria to influence the outcome of their civil war, then you missed Israel's point too.

Last edited:
Every time I read the title of this thread I can't help but think its the equivalent of posting a thead titled: "Did the New York Yankees just lose the NBA Finals?"

No, but you missed my point. And if you think Israel bombed targets within Syria to influence the outcome of their civil war, then you missed Israel's point too.
Why don't you explain how the point of Israel's illegal bombing near Damascus in May of 2013 was different from its illegal bombing of Sqoufiye in April, 1967, if you can.

Why don't you explain how the point of Israel's illegal bombing near Damascus in May of 2013 was different from its illegal bombing of Sqoufiye in April, 1967, if you can.

How illegal was it for 3 Arab armies in 1967 (supported by 7 other armies) to accumulate troops by the Israeli border threatening to 'drive the Jews to the sea' ??

Didn't God say he would make of Israel, a great nation or some such words. Or did He say he would support Israel up to the point where the Palisimians would be in charge. There's gonna be some big surprises in the near future, I'll betcha.

If Georgie has a problem with the U.S supporting money and arms to Israel, then he should be bitching and criticizing the U.S government.

georgephillip, HistoryBefore67, et al,

Oh come-on now. You are trying to compare apples and oranges. Just because both incidents involved aircraft as the primary weapon, doesn't mean there are events of a similar nature.

(COMMENT)

• The April '67 Event was a retaliatory strike; over a border incident by Golan. It was Syrian MiG-21's against Israeli Mirage III's. It was an aerial dogfight over a minor ground dispute. This was a prelude to the '67 War.

• The recent bombings (May '13), on the outskirts of Damascus, was a strike to combat crimes that might be connected with terrorism (Hezbollah), including illicit arms trade, in particular of small arms and light weapons (SA/LW), including man-portable air defense systems, and rockets. Detonations indicate a series of secondary explosions of Iranian-made guided missiles believed to be on their way to Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Each incident should stand on its merit. Don't try to make comparisons on the reasoning and logic when they are entirely separate kinds of events.

The '67 event started over a border incident and one fire-starter for the war, while the '13 event involved the illegal transfer of SA/LW in violation of international law. Entirely different.

Most Respectfully,
R

George, why are you using a blatant hate speech site as a 'source' for information? Do you really think that *expletive deleted* Alison Weir and her cronies are honest or unbiased?

As to the FAS site - that one gave me an error message.....oooh, I know! Someone's obviously trying to censor them for exposing the Truth, right?

How illegal was it for 3 Arab armies in 1967 (supported by 7 other armies) to accumulate troops by the Israeli border threatening to 'drive the Jews to the sea' ??
No less illegal than 650,000 Jews inflicting their nation-state upon 1.2 million Arab in 1948.
A more salient question for today is when will all human beings living under Israeli laws (civil and military) between the River and the sea have an opportunity to vote for those writing the laws?

Didn't God say he would make of Israel, a great nation or some such words. Or did He say he would support Israel up to the point where the Palisimians would be in charge. There's gonna be some big surprises in the near future, I'll betcha.
We are in agreement about some impending big surprises for the greatest purveyor of violence on the planet and its proxy in the Middle East. Your god is still just another lie the rich tell to keep their slaves in line.

No less illegal than 650,000 Jews inflicting their nation-state upon 1.2 million Arab in 1948.
A more salient question for today is when will all human beings living under Israeli laws (civil and military) between the River and the sea have an opportunity to vote for those writing the laws?

Your first phrase is just Arab propaganda . Go read some history and see who the instigator was.

Forum List

Back