Did Dr. Albert Einstein Believe In A Religious God?

I imagine many jews lost all faith during WW2

he also wasn't sure it the atomic bombs first test wouldn't destroy the world b/c he wasn't sure if the explosion would stop.

but he built it anyway
Einstein was not involved in the Manhattan Project.

Sorry...actually he was. He and Enrico Fermi met with Roosevelt and told him that Germany was already on a path to nuclear fission. Roosevelt appointed a tough ol' general, general Groves to initiate a secret city with a secret project and VOILA!!! the atomic bomb. I had just moved to Oak Ridge, TN in March of 1944 and both my parents worked on the project at the Oak Ridge Gaseous Diffusion Plant(ORGDP)

Be careful what you involve yourself in.....you might get smacked down.
Cool that your parents worked on that, but they didn't work on it with Einstein. Seeing as how he DIDN'T work on the Manhattan Project.

Not No But Hell No!!!!!

Dr. Albert Einstein Dies in Sleep at 76; World Mourns Loss of Great Scientist

Why in the world would his pre written personal obituary read like this if he had believed in a god. His study of the universe was his god:

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature."
~Dr. Albert Einstein~ (excerpt from his obituary)

Stephen Hawking, Carl Sagan and Richard Dawkins (for example) are all highly educated intelligent scientists who do not believe in the existence of God.

So what?

Are you trying to get Einstein on your side because of the very real uncertainties that constantly trouble your beliefs?

So much denial is required to keep the ruse going.

Nothing troubles my beliefs......I lived the church way till I was over 60 years old. I never believed a goddam word of that horse shit. I'm a lot different than Christians...they have to believe in some kind of invisible man in the sky to live their lives in an effective way......I don't!! When it comes to fairy tales I'm a "Jack and the Beanstalk" man.

he also wasn't sure it the atomic bombs first test wouldn't destroy the world b/c he wasn't sure if the explosion would stop.

but he built it anyway

Sorry...actually he was. He and Enrico Fermi met with Roosevelt and told him that Germany was already on a path to nuclear fission. Roosevelt appointed a tough ol' general, general Groves to initiate a secret city with a secret project and VOILA!!! the atomic bomb. I had just moved to Oak Ridge, TN in March of 1944 and both my parents worked on the project at the Oak Ridge Gaseous Diffusion Plant(ORGDP)

Cool that your parents worked on that, but they didn't work on it with Einstein. Seeing as how he DIDN'T work on the Manhattan Project.

He and Fermi were the Manhattan Project. Damn man.....can't you read?

"Scientists Albert Einstein, who fled Nazi persecution, and Enrico Fermi, who escaped Fascist Italy, were now living in the United States. They agreed that the President must be informed of the dangers of atomic technology in the hands of the Axis powers. Fermi traveled to Washington in March to express his concerns to government officials."

Einstein penned a letter to President Roosevelt urging the development of an atomic research program later that year. Roosevelt agreed to proceed slowly. In late 1941, the American effort to design and build an atomic bomb received its code name — the Manhattan Project.

Last edited:

but he built it anyway

"Scientists Albert Einstein, who fled Nazi persecution, and Enrico Fermi, who escaped Fascist Italy, were now living in the United States. They agreed that the President must be informed of the dangers of atomic technology in the hands of the Axis powers. Fermi traveled to Washington in March to express his concerns to government officials.

Einstein penned a letter to President Roosevelt urging the development of an atomic research program later that year. Roosevelt agreed to proceed slowly. In late 1941, the American effort to design and build an atomic bomb received its code name — the Manhattan Project.
He wrote a letter. He did not work on it.

but he built it anyway

"Scientists Albert Einstein, who fled Nazi persecution, and Enrico Fermi, who escaped Fascist Italy, were now living in the United States. They agreed that the President must be informed of the dangers of atomic technology in the hands of the Axis powers. Fermi traveled to Washington in March to express his concerns to government officials.

LMAO!!! You idiot! He was a theoretical scientist not a mechanical engineer.

Last edited:

LMAO!!! You idiot! He was a scientist not a mechanical engineer.
A scientist who was not involved in the Manhattan Project.

Well...other than the fact that the entire formulation was based on Einstein's theory. Damn you're slow!

Studying the masses of different types of atomic nuclei, you will find that in nuclear fission - the process that powers an ordinary atomic bomb -, some "nuclear rest energy" or "nuclear rest mass" is transformed into other forms of energy. For example, the rest mass of a nucleus of uranium-235 is slightly larger than the combined rest masses of the nuclear fragments into which it splits during nuclear fission. Here's where E=mc2 comes into play: This mass difference corresponds to the energy set free during nuclear fission. So is it, after all, true that Einstein's formula explains the power of the nuclear bomb - and that the large conversion factor c2 is responsible for the immense amounts of energy released?

Last edited:

Well...other than the fact that the entire formulation was based on Einstein and Fermi's theory. Damn you're slow!
As long as you admit he did not work on the project :thup:

Our space program has a foundation in Isaac Newton's laws of motion. That doesn't mean Newton helped build the space shuttle.

Not No But Hell No!!!!!

Why in the world would his pre written personal obituary read like this if he had believed in a god. His study of the universe was his god:

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature."

As with my own writings, God is something a smart person can argue convincingly either way. And as a literary tool, may be used to make points. Doesn't mean we're closet church-goers though.

Not No But Hell No!!!!!

As with my own writings, God is something a smart person can argue convincingly either way. And as a literary tool, may be used to make points. Doesn't mean we're closet church-goers though.

You can argue all you like but the bottom line is that in order to accept that ancient horse shit you must believe impossible tales written by people who believed in witches and thought the earth was flat. NO THANKS!

Not No But Hell No!!!!!

he believed in a higher power, but it wasn't an old man sitting on a throne.
893jn.jpg

Not No But Hell No!!!!!

he believed in a higher power, but it wasn't an old man sitting on a throne.
893jn.jpg

I heard that!!!!

s
Not No But Hell No!!!!!

Einstein called god "Der Alte" - "the old one". This sounds very familiar in the german language. And if you think the red sentence here is in confrontation with the belief of Christians then you are wrong. If you think about the problem "soul" (- the soul is not really a problem except we like to see a problem in this word -) then it's much better to use the time before you was born, if to like to find out, what your soul is - or let me say: If you like to find out, what kind of thought from god you are. In my imagination souls have completly different forms and every soul is a unique masterpiece. But let me come back to my thought: If someone would travel back in history - 200 years back for example into the year 1815 - then he could change something in this world there and a result of this change could be you never was born. This "experiment by thoughts" shows on the other side 200 years ago was something existing what was you - although you - like everyone else - would normally say 200 years ago was nothing from the own person here. Nothing ... except the way of the world what leaded to the own existance. You had no body in 1815 - but you have a body in 2015. This way to your body is somehow a very concrete fact - and on the other side a completly invisible thing. But if someone says "Your soul was on the way to your body" - then this is a very easy understandable description. And although this sounds "only" spiritual - it is knowledge, not belief. Your soul - your spirit was here - but not your body. Now is your body and your soul here and you are able to act. And now comes again somethign what we know and what we don't believe: We don't believe we are not dead, if we are dead. We Christians think just simple we are dead if we are dead. We think [nearly] the same thing what Albert said here. We only think - and this is our belief now - we will not be forever dead. Jesus Christ - true god from true god - will come back one day and he will call us back from death and life into a new existance. Wether our soul is existing and if "yes" what it is doing from our death to our recall into eternal life I don't know. There are lots of possibilities - but all of this possibilities are fortunatelly in the hands of the Lord and not in the hands of other human beings.

Last edited:
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. These subtitled interpretations are highly manifold according to their nature and have almost nothing to do with the original text.

Dr Einstein felt that all religion made a caricature of God by placing upon God “childish analogies” of human culture, such as God as father (or king, or shepherd)
Einstein: Bible Is 'Primitive, Pretty Childish'

Einstein writes of 'childish superstition'

Do you think the average IQ of these thumpers is significant?

snake-handlers.jpg

Poor snakes and what a bad entertainment. Religion? I doubt about. But what's wrong with his eyes here and why?

My Grandparents knew Dr Einstein and he was a secular Jew like they were , I still have a picture with them and Dr Einstein , also have a picture of me as a very small child with him and my grandparents and parents.

Einstein's views about religious belief have been collected from interviews and original writings. He called himself an agnostic He said he believed in the "pantheistic" God of Baruch Spinoza, but not in a personal god, a belief he criticized and called the bible childish. Dr Einstein once wrote: "I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but expressed it clearly"

I'm an agnostic and I'm a Catholic who believes in god. I don't have any idea why so many people in the english speaking world are thinking someone has to have no belief in god if he knows that he don't know wether god exists or not. And why should someone believe in a personal god? I believe in the universal god. Sure our mother in heaven is able to use psychological structures - why not? And sure is the bible "childish" - every child understands Noahs arch for example. If everyone would start to save all life from extinction on planet earth then it would not be the wrongest thing someone could try to do. As childish as this thought might be for some people.

Oh by the way: Tries this man in the picture above to help snakes? Loves he snakes? If it is not love ... ?

PS: Baruch Spinoza saw everywhere in the world the word of god - the souls in all things. Maybe this was only an identity with the creating word of god and the echo of his spirit in the created world. And maybe the preenstabled harmony (german: "prästabilierte Harmonie") Leibniz spoke about is maybe not as absurde as I thought once. Who knows? ...

Last edited:
... A scientist who was not involved in the Manhattan Project.

A pacifist who was on the other side responsible too for the start of the Manhatten Project by writing a letter to president Mr. Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Last edited:

but he built it anyway

Dr Einsteins views were voiced even before the shoah , he was also a strong socialist

Why Socialism?
he advocated the theory of socialism but chose to live in a republic.

Maybe he knew that system would fail? Like it actually has, time and time again.
The theory of socialism is great, it really is, the reality of socialism is an utter nightmare.

If leftist could grasp facts and reality, no one would support socialism.

The only reason socialism fails is because those with the power jump in and destroy any chance it has to succeed.......PERIOD!!

but he built it anyway

Dr Einsteins views were voiced even before the shoah , he was also a strong socialist

Why Socialism?
he advocated the theory of socialism but chose to live in a republic.

Maybe he knew that system would fail? Like it actually has, time and time again.
The theory of socialism is great, it really is, the reality of socialism is an utter nightmare.

If leftist could grasp facts and reality, no one would support socialism.

The only reason socialism fails is because those with the power jump in and destroy any chance it has to succeed.......PERIOD!!
well no shit

centralized government means the people with the money to bribe governments have fewer people to bribe.

and socialism fails b/c there is not enough money to pay for everything through the government.

It's an idea that fails every fucking time.

Forum List

Back