Did anyone know that federal law prevents farmers from fixing their own tractors, that's nuts.....

i'm not sure why you all are whining about it.
Because the law is one more example of corporations using the federal government to impose tyranny on their behalf.

creators of intellectual property deserve to be compensated for what they develop. it isn't open source.

Then explain how the same government forced auto manufacturers to all use the same open source code for automobile diagnostics Jillian. Prior to 1996 every manufacturer used their own standard and private shops were just fucked if they couldn't afford a different machine for every manufacturer.

These two rules are diametrically opposed. That isn't even logical

This is just another ploy of the U.N and Agenda 21 to make life as hard on the family farmers and ranchers as possible so they have to sell out to the BLM. I have such a hatred in my heart for this communist, foreign owned federal "gubermint": The time is coming soon for us to tell this foreign entity that we wish to sever the "successor to contract" that they bought when USA.INC went "belly-up". The federal "gubermint" has no jurisdiction in the states with out permission from the governor. This sorry, POS excuse for a governmental body is worried that people are waking up thus they are staging these shooting events to try and take away the last line of defense for the people. Fuck 'em.......
Maybe we should try winning in the political arena first?

IF we cant win at the ballot box, what makes you think we can win with the bullet box?

When both parties are just different sides of the same coin and they are owned in part by the same multi-national corporations that contrl the paperless voting machines with back-doored software? What the fuck do you do? What we are under isn't a republic and it's not even a democracy anymore. It's time that we get ready to draw our line in the sand. These psychopathic fucks have some plans for us that we are not going to like. If I don't have a gun, I'll fight them with a knife. We have got to grow some balls. I have just read too many stories of people getting bullied off of their land that had it for generations....total bullshit.

i love when people say the parties are the same... unless of course judges matter, you care about reproductive choice and actual economic growth instead of failed policies like trickle down economics.

then...not so much.

Because the law is one more example of corporations using the federal government to impose tyranny on their behalf.

creators of intellectual property deserve to be compensated for what they develop. it isn't open source.

Then explain how the same government forced auto manufacturers to all use the same open source code for automobile diagnostics Jillian. Prior to 1996 every manufacturer used their own standard and private shops were just fucked if they couldn't afford a different machine for every manufacturer.

Are you suggesting that the government should force John Deere to release their source code?

So Shillian, if someone gets a flat tire on their newly purchased GM vehicle, they should wait on the side of the road waiting for a certified GM mechanic to come out and charge a hundred bucks to change a flat? It's bullshit...this is nothing but "gubermint" trying to make life as hard for the farmer or rancher as possible. I work on Pitney Bowes equipment and I work on Bell and Howell equipment and I am not employed by either...so what is the fucking difference? Answer: There isn't...once you buy something, you should be able to do whatever the hell you want with it, you commie klunt.

So Shillian, if someone gets a flat tire on their newly purchased GM vehicle, they should wait on the side of the road waiting for a certified GM mechanic to come out and charge a hundred bucks to change a flat? It's bullshit...this is nothing but "gubermint" trying to make life as hard for the farmer or rancher as possible. I work on Pitney Bowes equipment and I work on Bell and Howell equipment and I am not employed by either...so what is the fucking difference? Answer: There isn't...once you buy something, you should be able to do whatever the hell you want with it, you commie klunt.

This isn't about "the government", this about John Deere not wanting to give away their proprietary source code.

It's not the DMCA that's keeping farmers from fixing their tractor computers. It's the fact that John Deere won't give them the proprietary source code.

The only thing the law does is punish those who try tom illegally hack that source code, which isn't necessarily even possible to do.

It's no different than Microsoft refusing to just give away the source code to Windows.
But Microsoft does daily updates and downloads, so why cant John Deere?

You shouldnt have to crack/hack software to fix it. The proprieter should be taking care of that directly.

you're done, troll.

but it's not like you're misogynist rightwingnut lowlife trash or anything. but no doubt that your failure to understand the law or anything about it is cause for you opening your disgusting yap.

Ehat

Are you suggesting that the government should force John Deere to release their source code?
What? I'm saying the epa FORCED auto manufacturers to dum their proprietary source code for diagnostics and use the open source code obd2 that they currently use. Are you suggesting that the same couldn't be done on tractors?

But they should not be allowed to sell crippleware that requires the buyer to go to some fleecing center to get common services done that they should be able to do with a download.

Why not?

Propose a law to stop them.
Too many laws already seem to be the chief problem.

Every time we try to 'fix' a problem, the governments legal staff makes it all MUCH WORSE.

I would rather start erasing laws than making more of the damned things.

It's not the DMCA that's keeping farmers from fixing their tractor computers. It's the fact that John Deere won't give them the proprietary source code.

The only thing the law does is punish those who try tom illegally hack that source code, which isn't necessarily even possible to do.

It's no different than Microsoft refusing to just give away the source code to Windows.
But Microsoft does daily updates and downloads, so why cant John Deere?

You shouldnt have to crack/hack software to fix it. The proprieter should be taking care of that directly.

This isn't about updating or fixing the software - it's about farmers wanting to hack into the software to be able to read it themselves to discover what hardware of the tractor needs to be fixed. The farmers aren't complaining that they can't fix their computers, they're complaining that they can't access the diagnostics from the computer themselves.

But they should not be allowed to sell crippleware that requires the buyer to go to some fleecing center to get common services done that they should be able to do with a download.

Why not?

Every time we try to 'fix' a problem, the governments legal staff makes it all MUCH WORSE.

your idea of our chief problem is different from mine.

Ehat

What? I'm saying the epa FORCED auto manufacturers to dum their proprietary source code for diagnostics and use the open source code obd2 that they currently use. Are you suggesting that the same couldn't be done on tractors?

No, of course it could be done on tractors.

I'm asking you if that's what you think should happen.

Why not?

Removing laws isn't going to make John Deere release their code, nor will it solve the problems of the farmers discussed in this thread.

Actua

Actually Dale you're wrong. John Deere should be free to force customers to return tontheir dealers for repairs if they wish. The market would punish them if that's a bad decision.

My. Point though is though the government has already forced auto makers to utilize a standard open source diagnostic code. Why on earth are tractors different ?

This isn't about updating or fixing the software - it's about farmers wanting to hack into the software to be able to read it themselves to discover what hardware of the tractor needs to be fixed. The farmers aren't complaining that they can't fix their computers, they're complaining that they can't access the diagnostics from the computer themselves.
Did you read the OP article?

Mick Minchow, a Nebraska farmer for more than 40 years, is among the many who are fed up, reports Lincoln Journal Star. As it currently stands, any problem with his John Deere 8235 R requires a trip to the dealer and costs him important time.

What he'd like to be able to do, per the paper, is something as simple as looking up the system code to determine if it's a serious problem or something as mundane as replacing a filter.

Why cant John Deere sell diagnostic software? Hell they should give it for free if you buy their fucking tractors.

This is just another ploy of the U.N and Agenda 21 to make life as hard on the family farmers and ranchers as possible so they have to sell out to the BLM. I have such a hatred in my heart for this communist, foreign owned federal "gubermint": The time is coming soon for us to tell this foreign entity that we wish to sever the "successor to contract" that they bought when USA.INC went "belly-up". The federal "gubermint" has no jurisdiction in the states with out permission from the governor. This sorry, POS excuse for a governmental body is worried that people are waking up thus they are staging these shooting events to try and take away the last line of defense for the people. Fuck 'em.......
Maybe we should try winning in the political arena first?

IF we cant win at the ballot box, what makes you think we can win with the bullet box?

When both parties are just different sides of the same coin and they are owned in part by the same multi-national corporations that contrl the paperless voting machines with back-doored software? What the fuck do you do? What we are under isn't a republic and it's not even a democracy anymore. It's time that we get ready to draw our line in the sand. These psychopathic fucks have some plans for us that we are not going to like. If I don't have a gun, I'll fight them with a knife. We have got to grow some balls. I have just read too many stories of people getting bullied off of their land that had it for generations....total bullshit.

i love when people say the parties are the same... unless of course judges matter, you care about reproductive choice and actual economic growth instead of failed policies like trickle down economics.

then...not so much.

Shillian, I would fork over my own private funds to make sure that you didn't squirt out another potential commie PLUS I would pay to have your tubes tied. Roe Vs Wade isn't going anywhere because that is what your globalist masters want. Those that believe abortion is murder deserve to be heard just as much as a liberal POS get yours heard....but I digress, name one major policy change as how it applies to the way our monetary system works that is nothing a but a debt based system? It's all the same and nothing ever changes for the better. Politics is nothing but theater and states that don't want to play ball with this corporate entity that is foreign owned and whose jurisdiction is only within the confines of the District of Columbia find themselves being "blackmailed" by this POS, foreign owned entity.I know more than you....infinitely more.

Removing laws isn't going to make John Deere release their code, nor will it solve the problems of the farmers discussed in this thread.
Never said it would, Mr Straw Man.

I think removing laws that prevent people from getting automatic downloads or diagnostic software is the problem, especially if manufacturers like john Deere are going to give exclusive rights to dealers to fleece their customers with.

This is the problem with the left........every single aspect of life eventually comes under control of some federal agency or dimwitted bureaucrat......

Did anyone know that farmers are prevented from fixing their own tractors, that by federal freakin law they have to hire a contractor to do it....?

This is just nuts....

Farmers fight for the right to repair their own tractors | Fox News

They're attempting to get legislation passed in their states that would enable them, for the first time since the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act, to repair their own tractors or get an independent mechanic to help.

At the root of the morass is the software that helps run modern tractors and their sensors, diagnostic tools, and other high-tech elements. If farmers so much as open the metaphorical hood to check out the computers they could be violating the federal act, reports Modern Farmer.

Mick Minchow, a Nebraska farmer for more than 40 years, is among the many who are fed up, reports Lincoln Journal Star. As it currently stands, any problem with his John Deere 8235 R requires a trip to the dealer and costs him important time.

What he'd like to be able to do, per the paper, is something as simple as looking up the system code to determine if it's a serious problem or something as mundane as replacing a filter.

John Deere's argument, as reported byWired, is that giving farmers free rein over the software would "make it possible for pirates, third-party developers, and less innovative competitors to free-ride off the creativity, unique expression, and ingenuity of vehicle software." Other potential issues that have been floated: the financial hit such a change could wreak on dealerships, and the complications of buying used equipment whose software was improperly changed.

Classic federal government over reach which the 17th amendment is primarily responsible for. Repeal 17 now!

When I was younger, I wanted to be an IT technician.
Did you read the OP article?

Why cant John Deere sell diagnostic software? Hell they should give it for free if you buy their fucking tractors.

They can sell diagnostic software, but they choose not to.

It's more money in John Deere's pocket to force you to go to one of their dealerships or "Certified" repair shops.

Ehat

No, of course it could be done on tractors.

I'm asking you if that's what you think should happen.
To be honest. I don't know. Being in the Indy auto repair business I understand why it was done on cars even though well obviously that isn't the government's role. I don't know if the same factors apply to tractora. I do know however that government rules should never so obviously conflict

Forum List

Back