Did anyone know that federal law prevents farmers from fixing their own tractors, that's nuts.....

Why shouldn't John Deere's intellectual property be protected? They're the ones who spent the money and took the time to develop that software, why shouldn't they be able to keep control of it?
Thney can keep control of it but they should be reasonable with it.

You are defending John Deere with the same arguments that were used to defend Martin Shkreli.

Does this have anything to do with you changing your avi to a depiction of an arse?

:D

Why shouldn't John Deere's intellectual property be protected? They're the ones who spent the money and took the time to develop that software, why shouldn't they be able to keep control of it?
Thney can keep control of it but they should be reasonable with it.

You are defending John Deere with the same arguments that were used to defend Martin Shkreli.

What does "should" mean, in this context?

Are you describing what it would be like in your personal utopia?

Companies don't usually do what they "should", they do what makes them the most money. There's no room for morality in a corporation.

I am not kissing anyone's ass you just clearly don't know what a monopoly is .

What does John Deere have a monopoly on? Their own diagnostic protocols? Lol.
John Deere is the only one that can write any software that does diagnostics on its software.

If that isnt a monopoly then what the fuck is it?

Windows is not like that, nor is Steam or a most software I have seen, other than Apple shit.

When I was younger, I wanted to be an IT technician.

My 11 year old grandson just finished up his second year at "Coder's Camp"... He is freakishly smart re: this stuff grandpa has no clue about...

The year was 2001 and I went down and bought my wife a 2000 Pontiac something or other. I don't even recall. Anyway it was a used car and I thought I was getting a pretty good deal. We haggled and then done the paperwork. It was a done deal and he handed me the Key. Notice I said the key, not keys. Salesman said there was only one key and I thought no big deal I will get one made. Cost me a couple of bucks like every other key I had made over the last 30 years. WRONG... Freaking key had a chip in it and I didn't know it. Ended up costing me $250.00 for a key and a afternoon off work spent at the Pontiac Dealership. I see this as the beginning of the end...

John Deere is the only one that can write any software that does diagnostics on its software.

Windows is not like that, nor is Steam or a most software I have seen, other than Apple shit.

Apple is a good example.

Video game consoles are another. So are tablets, cell phones, MP3 players, and cable boxes.

My 11 year old grandson just finished up his second year at "Coder's Camp"... He is freakishly smart re: this stuff grandpa has no clue about...

The year was 2001 and I went down and bought my wife a 2000 Pontiac something or other. I don't even recall. Anyway it was a used car and I thought I was getting a pretty good deal. We haggled and then done the paperwork. It was a done deal and he handed me the Key. Notice I said the key, not keys. Salesman said there was only one key and I thought no big deal I will get one made. Cost me a couple of bucks like every other key I had made over the last 30 years. WRONG... Freaking key had a chip in it and I didn't know it. Ended up costing me $250.00 for a key and a afternoon off work spent at the Pontiac Dealership. I see this as the beginning of the end...

Good for your grandson! IT jobs aren't going anywhere anytime soon, it's a good field to be in.

It got too intense for me, though. Couldn't keep up.

No, I am referring to common concepts of decency and fairness. Most monopolistic practices, like selling a unique nonstandard gizmo for your car and you can only buy it at one place, are generally considered bad not only for buyers but also the market in general as people hear of such events and avoid that market. Why get ripped off?

And if the manufacturers use the law to enforce an artificial monopoly, as a huge number of people can reverse engineer diagnostic tools, then the state is being exploited for monopolistic purposes and is an abuse of corporate influence.

The only reason that you cant go and buy a third party software package to fix these John Deere software problems is because the gooberment is sticking its nose in yet again to fuck over the little guy.

Companies don't usually do what they "should", they do what makes them the most money. There's no room for morality in a corporation.
That is a bullshit lie. Corporations should be held to higher standards of market morality because they are so powerful and able to subvert good government.

Last edited:

A good example of abusive business practices that should be illegal.

You are 100% incorrect. No third party software developer can alter windows in any way shape or form. The can create software that works in conjunction with windows as far as Microsoft allows and that is it.

Again I'll discuss the obd2 and j2354 protocols in. Regards to cars. Currently Tesla is the only manufacturer that I am aware of that offers free software updates over the internet . Do the other manufacturers have a monopoly? No of course not. And my guess is in ten years all cars will have such..

I further suggest that maybe tractors shphld have a similar standard protocol but screaking about monopolies is nonsensical

No, I am referring to common concepts of decency and fairness. Most monopolistic practices, like selling a unique nonstandard gizmo for your car and you can only buy it at one place, are generally considered bad not only for buyers but also the market in general as people hear of such events and avoid that market. Why get ripped off?

And if the manufacturers use the alw to enforce an artificial monopoly, as a huge number of people can reverse engineer diagnostic tools, then the state is being exploited for monopolistic purposes and is an abuse of corporate influence.

The only reason that you cant go and buy a third party software package to fix these John Deere software problems is because the gooberment is sticking its nose in yet again to fuck over the little guy.

That is a bullshit lie. Corporations should be held to higher standards of market morality because they are so powerful and able to subvert good government.

What is "market morality"? Who gets to define it?

It only took me a few minutes to find a third party company selling diagnostic equipment for John Deere tractors, by the way.

Tractor, Combine diagnostic tool

So apparently the law isn't really stopping anything.

Lol thats nothing man. Had a woman in in a Lexus a few weeks ago needed a new headlamp assembly. It had those headlights that turn with the front wheels. $1600 for a freaking headlamp.

This is the problem with the left........every single aspect of life eventually comes under control of some federal agency or dimwitted bureaucrat......

Did anyone know that farmers are prevented from fixing their own tractors, that by federal freakin law they have to hire a contractor to do it....?

This is just nuts....

Farmers fight for the right to repair their own tractors | Fox News

They're attempting to get legislation passed in their states that would enable them, for the first time since the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act, to repair their own tractors or get an independent mechanic to help.

At the root of the morass is the software that helps run modern tractors and their sensors, diagnostic tools, and other high-tech elements. If farmers so much as open the metaphorical hood to check out the computers they could be violating the federal act, reports Modern Farmer.

Mick Minchow, a Nebraska farmer for more than 40 years, is among the many who are fed up, reports Lincoln Journal Star. As it currently stands, any problem with his John Deere 8235 R requires a trip to the dealer and costs him important time.

What he'd like to be able to do, per the paper, is something as simple as looking up the system code to determine if it's a serious problem or something as mundane as replacing a filter.

John Deere's argument, as reported byWired, is that giving farmers free rein over the software would "make it possible for pirates, third-party developers, and less innovative competitors to free-ride off the creativity, unique expression, and ingenuity of vehicle software." Other potential issues that have been floated: the financial hit such a change could wreak on dealerships, and the complications of buying used equipment whose software was improperly changed.

More corporate America fucking the 'little guy.'

What the fuck are you talking about? Those $300 keys have radio transmitters in them that operate the security system of the car. Don't want one don't buy one duh

You got one thing right. You don't know what the fuck a monopoly is.

Hell JB I ended up being abused a lot worse... She divorced me and I got voted off the island...

You are 100% incorrect. No third party software developer can alter windows in any way shape or form. The can create software that works in conjunction with windows as far as Microsoft allows and that is it.

I NEVER said that third party tools can alter the Microsoft OS, but they can do diagnostics and clean up the filing system the indexing, etc.

Straw Man arguments are beneath you, arent they?

Again I'll discuss the obd2 and j2354 protocols in. Regards to cars. Currently Tesla is the only manufacturer that I am aware of that offers free software updates over the internet . Do the other manufacturers have a monopoly? No of course not. And my guess is in ten years all cars will have such..

I further suggest that maybe tractors shphld have a similar standard protocol but screaking about monopolies is nonsensical

Agree with almost all of that,but not the comment about monopolies.

There are different kinds of monopolies. There are vertical monopolies, horizontal monopolies and patents, copyrights and trademarks are government granted monopolies.

This is a copyright or patent monopoly, but it is still a MONOPOLY.

You got one thing right. You don't know what the fuck a monopoly is.
OK, shit4brains, is a copyright or patent a monopoly?

This is a case of a government granted patent or copyright, so if such are monopolies, and they are, then this is also a monopoly granted by government.

Jack ass.

What is "market morality"? Who gets to define it?

It only took me a few minutes to find a third party company selling diagnostic equipment for John Deere tractors, by the way.

Tractor, Combine diagnostic tool

So apparently the law isn't really stopping anything.
That is what these farmers need, but how do you know that this is not what John Deere, and the gooberment, is calling a 'hack'?

IF this software is OK with John Deere, then why are farmers dragging their tractors to the dealership?

I am not a farmer and cannot say exactly what is and is not allowed by John Deere, but why would someone hack their own tractor when third party diagnostic software is available?

You got me, if this is truly not objected to as well by John Deere.

Good find, BTW.

Forum List

Back