Dick Cheney: Obama Has Been 'Unmitigated Disaster To The Country'

The "Gift Trust Agreement" the Cheney's signed two days before he took office turns over power of attorney to a trust administrator to sell the options at some future time and to give the after-tax profits to three charities. The agreement specifies that 40% will go to the University of Wyoming (Cheney's home state), 40% will go to George Washington University's medical faculty to be used for tax-exempt charitable purposes, and 20% will go to Capital Partners for Education, a charity that provides financial aid for low-income students in Washington, DC to attend private and religious schools.

The agreement states that it is "irrevocable and may not be terminated, waived or amended," so the Cheney's can't take back their options later

FactCheck.org: Kerry Ad Falsely Accuses Cheney on Halliburton

Maybe this will help, the conversation somewhat when it comes to the former Vice Presidents compensation from Haliburton. It appears that most if not all of the option profits were given to charity according to this agreement. That leaves his salary most of the 2 million of which was paid prior to his entry into the office. So that leaves around 400K paid to him as Deferred compensation while he was in office. Just something to help clear up the salary issue.

And the tax consequences? 400k is peanuts to Cheney, true.

It would seem to me that if it were paid to him in the form of salary , not only would he have to declare it on his tax return but also, much like any other compensation it is subject to being taxed both at the Federal and State level. I cannot tell you for sure exactly how much as I don't have the former Vice Presidents return in front of me , and I am not sure I would want it *laughs*

On the issue of subpeona's this might help as well.

The Supreme Court confirmed the legitimacy of this doctrine in United States v. Nixon, but only to the extent of confirming that there is a qualified privilege. Once invoked, a presumption of privilege is established, requiring the Prosecutor to make a "sufficient showing" that the "Presidential material" is "essential to the justice of the case."(418 U.S. at 713-14). Chief Justice Burger further stated that executive privilege would most effectively apply when the oversight of the executive would impair that branch's national security concerns.

Executive privilege - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting that Miers and Bolton were both officially cited for contempt but never prosecuted by the DOJ. Kind of gets to the heart of the matter: What good is it if no one is ever held to account for their crimes? Karl Rove is STILL citing executive privilege as a reason to snub subpoenas.

What a joke.

The "Gift Trust Agreement" the Cheney's signed two days before he took office turns over power of attorney to a trust administrator to sell the options at some future time and to give the after-tax profits to three charities. The agreement specifies that 40% will go to the University of Wyoming (Cheney's home state), 40% will go to George Washington University's medical faculty to be used for tax-exempt charitable purposes, and 20% will go to Capital Partners for Education, a charity that provides financial aid for low-income students in Washington, DC to attend private and religious schools.

The agreement states that it is "irrevocable and may not be terminated, waived or amended," so the Cheney's can't take back their options later

Maybe this will help, the conversation somewhat when it comes to the former Vice Presidents compensation from Halliburton. It appears that most if not all of the option profits were given to charity according to this agreement. That leaves his salary most of the 2 million of which was paid prior to his entry into the office. So that leaves around 400K paid to him as Deferred compensation while he was in office. Just something to help clear up the salary issue.
Navy1960, don't expect any one of these people here on the Cheney trophy hunt to even respond to Kerry's false accusation against Cheney on Halliburton.

The sick part of it is that Kerry WANTED Cheney to be a crook, but Cheney didn't play ball, Cheney divested himself of Halliburton holdings, yet there have been ten false accusations intimating that here of people who also want Cheney to be a crook, but they just can't realize why Congress dropped their "subpoenas" when they realized they didn't have authority over the Executive Branch under the first three Articles of the Constitution. It's too complex for me to explain, but I remember reading the story back when it happened. They dropped that like a hot potato.

But they didn't drop the Halliburton allegations after they figured the coast was clear and the public had forgotten the details.

Their compliant press has a tendency to remove many of the stories of that era in times of elections.

That's why we no more have a Fifth Column. They're more like the Leaning Tower now.

Thank you for showing how corrupt Democrat campaigns get when it's win-at-all-costs-the-truth-be-damned.

Diversionary conversations notwithstanding, Dick Cheney has some nerve calling Obama an unmitigated disaster after what the Bush administration left behind. The man is without shame and in abject denial about the damage left in his wake. <Freudian inanity omitted>.

Why shouldn't he criticize a failed President who is trying to communize a free nation?

The real Obama platform was "Bush bad". So many proven Democrat errors were spun into wins that Obama fooled a lot of people, but he and his disciples didn't fool the people who simply took the time to read daily headlines and can remember them.

That's why I am the target and I must be silenced, nes pas.

Oui, C'est vrai mon amie Bien sur! Tres bon!
icon14.gif

I'm not doing your dirty work for you. I brought the proof forward. Furthermore, you're chasing your own tail.

No, you didn't bring any proof. It's not there. Just posting up some words and claiming there is some proof in there doesn't show us anything.

You claimed constitutional grounds for failing to answer a subpoena. You can't prove any such.

You = fail.

Again... there is a constitutional tool for this, in the Bill of Rights. The 5th amendment is how you decline to testify. We DO have a tool for not answering. But you must APPEAR. At least until Bush / Cheney were done. Now Holder can walk from Subpoenas on this gun walking thing and there's not a damn thing to be done about it. Isn't that nice?

You assholes lay one hand on the red button to damage Dick Cheney, and I will purchase a gun to shoot the snake that bit my dog the other day.

Wanna go shoot some quail?

:lmao:

We had a nice quail and pheasant dinner for the Church mens group, week before last. Good stuff. My dog is partial to ducks and doves. We don't have an awful lot of quail around these parts. Fire ants and coyotes have taken a terrible toll on them.

At any rate, Dick Cheney failed to appear on a subpoena as did several Bush White House personnel. It was highly unusual and the first time any administration had actually invoked a blanket immunity that NO ONE was going to show. And no one did. And now, you can bet no one ever will again. Including Holder. He has executive immunity and can do what he wants without answering to Congress.

The Supreme Court confirmed the legitimacy of this doctrine in United States v. Nixon, but only to the extent of confirming that there is a qualified privilege. Once invoked, a presumption of privilege is established, requiring the Prosecutor to make a "sufficient showing" that the "Presidential material" is "essential to the justice of the case."(418 U.S. at 713-14). Chief Justice Burger further stated that executive privilege would most effectively apply when the oversight of the executive would impair that branch's national security concerns.

Interesting that Miers and Bolton were both officially cited for contempt but never prosecuted by the DOJ. Kind of gets to the heart of the matter: What good is it if no one is ever held to account for their crimes? Karl Rove is STILL citing executive privilege as a reason to snub subpoenas.

What a joke.

Makes you wonder doesn't it why Scooter Libby was not cloaked in the "Executive Privledge" umbrella. However when one "outs" a CIA operative and then lies to Federal Investigators about it I suppose that even that cannot be protected. I did note that the former Vice President was a bit put out that the Former President didn't choose to pardon him, which was the exact right thing to do. One of the reasons I brought out the "Executive Privledge" issue is to show that this is the legal blanket in which the office of the former Vice President and other former Administration officials cloaked themselves in as have other Administrations as well used it to as a weapon to stay clear of subpeonas.

Maybe this will help, the conversation somewhat when it comes to the former Vice Presidents compensation from Halliburton. It appears that most if not all of the option profits were given to charity according to this agreement. That leaves his salary most of the 2 million of which was paid prior to his entry into the office. So that leaves around 400K paid to him as Deferred compensation while he was in office. Just something to help clear up the salary issue.
Navy1960, don't expect any one of these people here on the Cheney trophy hunt to even respond to Kerry's false accusation against Cheney on Halliburton.

The sick part of it is that Kerry WANTED Cheney to be a crook, but Cheney didn't play ball, Cheney divested himself of Halliburton holdings, yet there have been ten false accusations intimating that here of people who also want Cheney to be a crook, but they just can't realize why Congress dropped their "subpoenas" when they realized they didn't have authority over the Executive Branch under the first three Articles of the Constitution. It's too complex for me to explain, but I remember reading the story back when it happened. They dropped that like a hot potato.

But they didn't drop the Halliburton allegations after they figured the coast was clear and the public had forgotten the details.

Their compliant press has a tendency to remove many of the stories of that era in times of elections.

That's why we no more have a Fifth Column. They're more like the Leaning Tower now.

Thank you for showing how corrupt Democrat campaigns get when it's win-at-all-costs-the-truth-be-damned.

No, they didn't drop those subpoenas. They cited several Bush admin members for contempt and the DOJ refused to prosecute.

Same thing will happen more often now. You'll see people YOU don't like thumb their nose at the law and walk and you'll have Bush and Dick to thank for expanding the use of executive power to everyone who ever visited the White House.

What a joke.

Makes you wonder doesn't it why Scooter Libby was not cloaked in the "Executive Privledge" umbrella. However when one "outs" a CIA operative and then lies to Federal Investigators about it I suppose that even that cannot be protected. I did note that the former Vice President was a bit put out that the Former President didn't choose to pardon him, which was the exact right thing to do. One of the reasons I brought out the "Executive Privledge" issue is to show that this is the legal blanket in which the office of the former Vice President and other former Administration officials cloaked themselves in as have other Administrations as well used it to as a weapon to stay clear of subpeonas.

The entire of game of executive privilege is nasty and rotten, as it usually deals with determining just how many crooked deals the White House feels it can protect without sinking the whole ship. It's amazing that Libby was the only one who went down for that leak, but someone had to and they threw him to the wolves. I would supppose that factored into the equation to not pardon him were the many fold other subpoenas already ignored and the rest they knew coming.

Still amazing the shear number of subpoenas ignored and contempt citations not prosecuted. The most it was ever done and opens the door for future admins to do the same.

And the stock OPTIONS?

The Raw Story | Cheney's Halliburton stock options rose 3,281% last year, senator finds

He gave the proceeds to charity it is reported, no details, but he got a BIG tax write off.
Thank you for showing a link that while critical, proved that Dick Cheney not only followed the law, but by giving the windfall to charity, he showed his truly good spirit when the mop flopped his way.

He absolutely refused to benefit from the law he followed actually benefiting him when it came to his attention.

Cheney always played within the rules.

His enemies hate him for it, smear him for it, and try to bury him with their own hate.

What a joke.

The entire of game of executive privilege is nasty and rotten, as it usually deals with determining just how many crooked deals the White House feels it can protect without sinking the whole ship. It's amazing that Libby was the only one who went down for that leak, but someone had to and they threw him to the wolves. I would supppose that factored into the equation to not pardon him were the many fold other subpoenas already ignored and the rest they knew coming.

Still amazing the shear number of subpoenas ignored and contempt citations not prosecuted. The most it was ever done and opens the door for future admins to do the same.
I've said it before, and I'm going to say it again: it was a partisan publicity stunt foisted by the Democrats and the Leftist Leaning Tower the Fifth Column has made of itself.

Cheney was and is a scoundrel who cheated every rule, thumbed his nose at the law and lied his way into and out of everything he ever did.

I've said it before, and I'm going to say it again: it was a partisan publicity stunt foisted by the Democrats and the Leftist Leaning Tower the Fifth Column has made of itself.

It was a subpoena to testify about illegal wire tapping of American citizens.

In any case, he ignored a legal subpoena = contempt = criminal.

becki I can honestly say that I am not a fan of the former Vice President for various reason's which I have made known many times. That said though, I think the salary and compensation issue is a little bit of a stretch when its pretty clear that most of his stock options if not all of them went to good causes. The other thing of note that the accusations for war were somehow related to the former Vice Presidents relationship to Haliburton/KBR are completely misguided and serve to mislead people in my humble opinion. My personal opinion is that the former Vice President acting on bad intelligence and a personal history with Iraq as well as long term view of a pax Americana beat the drum loudly for war along with several aides when the more prudent thing to do would have verified before making the commitment that led this nation into Iraq. I think it a bit unfair though to judge the man based on his business success and that is why I don't.

No, you didn't bring any proof. It's not there. Just posting up some words and claiming there is some proof in there doesn't show us anything.

You claimed constitutional grounds for failing to answer a subpoena. You can't prove any such.

You = fail.

Again... there is a constitutional tool for this, in the Bill of Rights. The 5th amendment is how you decline to testify. We DO have a tool for not answering. But you must APPEAR. At least until Bush / Cheney were done. Now Holder can walk from Subpoenas on this gun walking thing and there's not a damn thing to be done about it. Isn't that nice?

You assholes lay one hand on the red button to damage Dick Cheney, and I will purchase a gun to shoot the snake that bit my dog the other day.

We had a nice quail and pheasant dinner for the Church mens group, week before last. Good stuff. My dog is partial to ducks and doves. We don't have an awful lot of quail around these parts. Fire ants and coyotes have taken a terrible toll on them.

At any rate, Dick Cheney failed to appear on a subpoena as did several Bush White House personnel. It was highly unusual and the first time any administration had actually invoked a blanket immunity that NO ONE was going to show. And no one did. And now, you can bet no one ever will again. Including Holder. He has executive immunity and can do what he wants without answering to Congress.

Fire ants and coyotes? Sheeze. Count yer blessins. Around here it's big fat water moccasins. My puppy almost died. I can imagine those things getting fat on game birds there seems to be a dearth of.

When did Attorney General Holder become Vice President Holder? :D

becki I can honestly say that I am not a fan of the former Vice President for various reason's which I have made known many times. That said though, I think the salary and compensation issue is a little bit of a stretch when its pretty clear that most of his stock options if not all of them went to good causes. The other thing of note that the accusations for war were somehow related to the former Vice Presidents relationship to Haliburton/KBR are completely misguided and serve to mislead people in my humble opinion. My personal opinion is that the former Vice President acting on bad intelligence and a personal history with Iraq as well as long term view of a pax Americana beat the drum loudly for war along with several aides when the more prudent thing to do would have verified before making the commitment that led this nation into Iraq. I think it a bit unfair though to judge the man based on his business success and that is why I don't.

Good luck in convincing the left of it...the mere fact he was vested in any private enterprise leaves him suspect in thier eyes.

Cheney was and is a scoundrel who cheated every rule, thumbed his nose at the law and lied his way into and out of everything he ever did.
No, the Honorable Vice President Cheney had a tough job to do and was attacked by multiple sectors of political adversaries determined that if they couldn't be President, they sure as hell were going to ruin the entire nation with calumny to make sure nobody else could, either.

I can understand why. I went to church with his childhood neighbor whose children played with the Cheney kids. Also, in that small Wyoming town where I lived, where Lynn Cheney was Homecoming Queen and he her escort, good and honorable people are loved and held dear. Their reputation was of the highest, and Dick was the most popular Congressman who was ever reelected 5 times in the Equality State.

I have no compunctions about defending a man of such caliber of him, even if he did accidentally shoot a lawyer once. :lmao:

Fire ants and coyotes? Sheeze. Count yer blessins. Around here it's big fat water moccasins. My puppy almost died. I can imagine those things getting fat on game birds there seems to be a dearth of.

When did Attorney General Holder become Vice President Holder? :D

I guess the same time Karl Rove, Harriet Miers, Joshua Bolton, Sarah Taylor among a handful of other underlings became immune to subpoenas. Maybe so long as private citizen Karl Rove continues to claim executive privilege, we all can.

By the way, at least you;re honest that your reason for liking Cheney are based on personal connections and not his performance. Hell, every murderer on death row has family and friends that will tell you that they are actually "good people".

By MEAD GRUVER

CHEYENNE, Wyo. -- Former Vice President Dick Cheney walked onstage without any assistance and spoke for an hour and 15 minutes without seeming to tire in his first public engagement since he underwent a heart transplant three weeks ago.

He sat in a plush chair throughout the long chat with daughter Liz Cheney and looked decidedly healthier than recent appearances where he has been gaunt and used a cane.

Cheney even threw in a couple of political plugs amid much reminiscing at the Wyoming Republican Party state convention in Cheyenne on Saturday.

He said the presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney is going to do a "whale of a job." He said it's never been more important than now to defeat a sitting president and the Republican Party should unite behind Romney.

"He has been an unmitigated disaster to the country," Cheney said of President Barack Obama.

More: Dick Cheney: Obama Has Been 'Unmitigated Disaster To The Country'

You guys (mainly GOPpers) aren't bright enough to realize a link to an item means it's redundant to copy it here too :eusa_pray:

Forum List

Back