Depo shot included with welfare, food stamps?

Is this a good or bad idea?

• This is a good idea

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • This is a bad idea

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I have a better idea

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Pineapple

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
Depo-Provera - Birth Control Shot

Four times a year, still has to be cheaper than another mouth on welfare.

$35-100 per shot, plus exam, on the county dime. Will cut down on abortions as well.

Agree or disagree, and please give your reasons.

I'd make it an option, but forcing a non emergency medical treatment on anyone gives me the willies.

Now, making them sign a pledge to not get preggo (or impregnate someone, must be fair) or face cutting of benefits/losing the kid, that would be something I could go along with.

$35-100 per shot, plus exam, on the county dime. Will cut down on abortions as well.

Absolutely agree! But it should be voluntary. If it was a condition for receiving public assistance, that would satisfy the voluntary requirement.

• Banned

I'd make it an option, but forcing a non emergency medical treatment on anyone gives me the willies.

Now, making them sign a pledge to not get preggo (or impregnate someone, must be fair) or face cutting of benefits/losing the kid, that would be something I could go along with.

An option as in, no assistance without the shot?

The reason I went with the shot is nobody can forget to take it, or poke a hole in it, etc.

BUT: there might be physical reasons that would preclude a woman from having that shot.

And yeah; I am totally unsure of the legalities of such an idea.

The reason I went with the shot is nobody can forget to take it, or poke a hole in it, etc.

BUT: there might be physical reasons that would preclude a woman from having that shot.

No, optional as we will give it to you for free if you want it.

The non-optional part would be you agreeing to :not get pregnant when getting assitance: and not impregnating someone when you are on assitance. If it happens, there has to be some consequence, such as being sent to some form of work program, or losing the kid to adoption. If you want an abortion you can have one, but you would have to pay for it.

I am a bigger fan of creating conditions of getting aid then medical procedures being mandated for the aid. The problem with conditions of course, is that people get wimpy and dont try to impose them upon failure of the agreement.

Compelling a public assistance applicant to use birth control or ‘sign a pledge’ as a condition of eligibility would be un-Constitutional for the same reason drug testing as a condition of eligibility is un-Constitutional.

And Cash assistance already has a family cap provision with regard to prohibiting a benefit amount increase when children are born to persons currently receiving TANF.

And of course making birth control available to low-income Americans is a wise and pragmatic policy.

Disagree. One should never provide hand-outs. Hand-ups are the only way to help people actually improve their lives. Each person needs to become a productive member of society and pull their own weight. This current plan of we have to solve everyone's problem by throwing money at them will never work.

Whats the real difference between the ChiComs limiting births to one child per family and this?

Right now there is no program to discourage women receiving assistance from becoming pregnant, and public policy re Planned Parenthood actively discourages contraception. The vast majority of such women have no desire to become pregnant and making contraception a condition of assistance is wrong and bad policy. It smacks of forced sterilization, one of our nation's blackest episodes in public health; is a nightmare to enforce; and would drive lots of religious folks nuts.

Free, readily available contraception as a part of women's health care is good public policy as well as the right thing to do. Which is why the right wing is so adamant in opposing it as part of the ACA.

Whats the real difference between the ChiComs limiting births to one child per family and this?

Receiving welfare isn't necessary or mandatory, and the chicom thing is mandatory. Chinese brand of welfare is you work in hard labor for a bowl of rice, and in return you are not allowed to have more than one child.

I know many Chinese, they are grateful their government allows them to have one child.

Right now there is no program to discourage women receiving assistance from becoming pregnant, and public policy re Planned Parenthood actively discourages contraception. The vast majority of such women have no desire to become pregnant and making contraception a condition of assistance is wrong and bad policy. It smacks of forced sterilization, one of our nation's blackest episodes in public health; is a nightmare to enforce; and would drive lots of religious folks nuts.

Free, readily available contraception as a part of women's health care is good public policy as well as the right thing to do. Which is why the right wing is so adamant in opposing it as part of the ACA.

I have no problem with you providing free contraception to anyone that wants it, unless it's a kid, then you need their parents permission. What I have a problem with, is you trying to force me to hand out contraception, and worse you trying to force Catholics for whom this is a sin, to hand out contraception. This is why it's against the law to use federal funds for abortions and such. See bill of rights first amendment. If your state wants to do it, whatever.

Disagree. One should never provide hand-outs. Hand-ups are the only way to help people actually improve their lives. Each person needs to become a productive member of society and pull their own weight. This current plan of we have to solve everyone's problem by throwing money at them will never work.

And blind adherence to vacuous, meaningless rightist dogma such as this will never work as well.

Only a pragmatic approach can succeed.

Compelling a public assistance applicant to use birth control or ‘sign a pledge’ as a condition of eligibility would be un-Constitutional for the same reason drug testing as a condition of eligibility is un-Constitutional.

And Cash assistance already has a family cap provision with regard to prohibiting a benefit amount increase when children are born to persons currently receiving TANF.

And of course making birth control available to low-income Americans is a wise and pragmatic policy.

Where is your constitutionally guaranteed right to get money from the government with no conditions? By your logic you shouldnt require them to work either.

Any conditions for getting public assistance pass consitutional muster, I dont see a right to free stuff anyhwere in the document.

And blind adherence to vacuous, meaningless rightist dogma such as this will never work as well.

Only a pragmatic approach can succeed.

What you assume to be "blind adherence to vacuous, meaningless rightist dogma," I know as truth. Your buy our way out of this problem by just giving it to them for free, merely kicks the can down the road a bit further. For the issue, you see is not "does the unmarried single lady of 20 who is receiving welfare and actively fornicating with some number of men need birth control," the issue is rather "does the unmarried single lady of 20 need a job so she can become a productive member of society?"

Just because someone "needs" something or just because you might profit from "giving" it to her, does not necessarily mean you should. That is not the pragmatic approach, that is the short term gain approach. For did you really buy anything from making someone permanently dependent on you for their birth control? Will she run out after her shot and have "unprotected" sex now? What repercussions might happen from that unprotected sex with a number of men?

Last edited:

Handouts should only be given to people who cannot work or can prove that they cannot get work. Giving money to the poor does not solve the problem, getting them work does.

Handouts should only be given to people who cannot work or can prove that they cannot get work. Giving money to the poor does not solve the problem, getting them work does.

Today's day and age, I find it highly suspect when folks say they can't work. The number of people on disability in this country is just insane. 14million people can't use a computer? Can do even basic tasks?

Last edited:

If you get down to it, not much. China is a communist country with the government as the central authority. If the government is going to feed you, house you, take care of your health, absolutely the government should have control over how many children you have. We neuter our pets to control the birth rate don't we?

The nominal difference is, this exercises no control over those who do not get public benefits. If the left can shift more and more formerly productive people over to benefits they can exercise more and more control over the size of families.

The only way someone wouldn't get pregnant is if they didn't have sex, and you cannot tell a person they can't have sex.

The only way someone wouldn't get pregnant is if they didn't have sex, and you cannot tell a person they can't have sex.

Depo is 99% effective.

Depo-Provera (Birth Control Shot) Effectiveness, Risks, & More

Forum List

Back