Learn The Address

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Luddly Neddite, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,899
    Home | Learn the Address

About the Project | Learn the Address

[​IMG]

This morning I watched Ken Burns talking about this project. He said a large percentage of college graduates do not know the origin of the phrase, " ... government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." (He stated a number but I don't remember what it was.)

If ever there was a cause that is worth fighting and dying for, its the equality of all people. Interestingly, in his inauguration speech, he said he would not interfere with slavery but he also said,

I believe completely in the idea and the daily reality of equality for all Americans and I'm going to do this. I'm going to read the Gettysburg Address and save it to this site. I hope this projects 'appeals to the better angels of our nature' and that other posters will do so as well.

2. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,842
    Equal in what way?
    Protection under the Law? Surely that is something to strive for.
    Equal in Purpose? Ability? Outcome? Not exactly. I believe we are each precious in the Creator's eyes. What we do with what we have, is on us. No 2 paths are identical. With choice comes a multiple of possibilities related to outcome. Want a better environment. Establish Justice, build on It's foundation, serve it, preserve it.

3. Luddly Neddite

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,899
    I recorded it yesterday.

Very cool.

4. Luddly Neddite

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,899
    Its not too late to record your own version.

As we all know now, President Obama was specifically asked to recite the version that did not include the word, "God" - called the Nicolay Version. You can choose the version you prefer by scrolling down to the third line of photos, second square over. Or you can go to this link to read them all and choose.

Gettysburg Visitor Center

This is such a worthwhile project. I hope others will record their own voice reciting these timeless and completely bipartisan words.