Democrats refuse to make child trafficking a serious felony

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012

Democratic members of the California Assembly Committee on Public Safety blocked a bill on Tuesday that would have made child trafficking a "serious felony."

Under California law, serious felonies are subjected to the state's three-strikes laws. If the measure had passed, repeat offenders would have faced harsher penalties, including up to life in prison.

Currently, traffickers who target underage victims are eligible for early release credits based on behavior, which could take years off their sentencing.

Republican members Juan Alanis and Tom Lackey voted in support of Senate Bill 14 this week. All six Democratic members refused to vote on the measure, blocking its passage.

The Democrat party rules again!!

Yay

Ask the drug warriors how mandatory sentencing totally cleaned up the drug problem. Such laws were always just a way for politicians to act like they did something about a problem they barely even understand.

Democratic members of the California Assembly Committee on Public Safety blocked a bill on Tuesday that would have made child trafficking a "serious felony."

Under California law, serious felonies are subjected to the state's three-strikes laws. If the measure had passed, repeat offenders would have faced harsher penalties, including up to life in prison.

Currently, traffickers who target underage victims are eligible for early release credits based on behavior, which could take years off their sentencing.

Republican members Juan Alanis and Tom Lackey voted in support of Senate Bill 14 this week. All six Democratic members refused to vote on the measure, blocking its passage.

Yay
Uh-huh.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom stepped in on Wednesday to help revive a bill in the state Legislature that would increase penalties for child trafficking in the state, siding with a Republican state senator over some members of his own party.
SB14, authored by Republican state Sen. Shannon Grove would make child trafficking a serious felony in California. Anyone convicted of at least three serious felonies in California is punished by a sentence of between 25 years and life in prison, known as the “three strikes law.”
The bill had easily passed the Democratic-controlled Senate earlier this year, and Grove expected it to have little opposition in the Assembly. On Tuesday, Democrats on the Assembly Public Safety Committee declined to advance the bill, putting it in danger of not passing this year.
Newsom said Wednesday he was surprised the bill had stalled. He said he called Grove to talk about the bill, telling reporters that the call “is indicative of my desire to see what we can do with it.” Newsom said he “cares deeply” about the issue, noting he signed a state budget last year that included $25 million for services for children who had been victims of sex trafficking.
“I want to understand exactly what happened yesterday (in the committee),” Newsom said. “I take it very seriously.”

It’s unusual for Newsom to publicly get involved in a dispute at the Capitol, especially when it involves the Republican Party. Newsom prefers to stay out of such matters, often declining to answer reporters’ questions about pending legislation.

Uh-huh.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom stepped in on Wednesday to help revive a bill in the state Legislature that would increase penalties for child trafficking in the state, siding with a Republican state senator over some members of his own party.
SB14, authored by Republican state Sen. Shannon Grove would make child trafficking a serious felony in California. Anyone convicted of at least three serious felonies in California is punished by a sentence of between 25 years and life in prison, known as the “three strikes law.”
The bill had easily passed the Democratic-controlled Senate earlier this year, and Grove expected it to have little opposition in the Assembly. On Tuesday, Democrats on the Assembly Public Safety Committee declined to advance the bill, putting it in danger of not passing this year.
Newsom said Wednesday he was surprised the bill had stalled. He said he called Grove to talk about the bill, telling reporters that the call “is indicative of my desire to see what we can do with it.” Newsom said he “cares deeply” about the issue, noting he signed a state budget last year that included $25 million for services for children who had been victims of sex trafficking.
“I want to understand exactly what happened yesterday (in the committee),” Newsom said. “I take it very seriously.”

It’s unusual for Newsom to publicly get involved in a dispute at the Capitol, especially when it involves the Republican Party. Newsom prefers to stay out of such matters, often declining to answer reporters’ questions about pending legislation.
So now Newsom can use this to advance his Presidential aspirations while his party kills the bill in California

Nice.

So now Newsom can use this to advance his Presidential aspirations while his party kills the bill in California

Nice.
Assuming you can read..and actually read the article..you will note that the majority of Dems voted for the bill..and will easily pass it when it come to the floor.
The bill is not dead...and all indications that it will get passed.
The committee chair is virtue-signaling about mandatory sentencing and the adverse effect it has had on the minority community.
Nobody is buying it, in this case.

Assuming you can read..and actually read the article..you will note that the majority of Dems voted for the bill..and will easily pass it when it come to the floor.
The bill is not dead...and all indications that it will get passed.
The committee chair is virtue-signaling about mandatory sentencing and the adverse effect it has had on the minority community.
Nobody is buying it, in this case.
I will believe it when I see it from the party of continual lies.

Yay
doesn't surprize me.....look at this bord salivating at new fresh calf meat cumin

Yay
Well, it is a main source of income for the Dimmers.

Ask the drug warriors how mandatory sentencing totally cleaned up the drug problem. Such laws were always just a way for politicians to act like they did something about a problem they barely even understand.
MTG is RIGHT ^^^

Apparently, the Democrats involved don't think that Three Strikes is an effective deterrent to crime, and that focus on punishment would draw attention away from prevention, which is where they think they should focus. I don't see why California can't do both, and I would think fast-tracking this kind of crackdown would send a significant message and it would have to be on the mind of the two-time offender, but what do I know.

Fortunately, the GOP can have faith in their new conservative-issue hero, Gavin Newsome.

Source: AP News, Left-Center Bias, High Factual Reporting.

Apparently, the Democrats involved don't think that Three Strikes is an effective deterrent to crime, and that focus on punishment would draw attention away from prevention, which is where they think they should focus. I don't see why California can't do both, and I would think fast-tracking this kind of crackdown would send a significant message and it would have to be on the mind of the two-time offender, but what do I know.

Fortunately, the GOP can have faith in their new conservative-issue hero, Gavin Newsome.

Source: AP News, Left-Center Bias, High Factual Reporting.
Mandatory sentencing doesn't do a thing. I'm against such measures because they are political stunts more than anything else. I'm also wondering about the actual recidivism rate on this crime. Was this even a problem?

Perverts who like to molest kids are sick, and never get better. They should be put to death after they first time they are caught.

Dimwingers are on their side, so you are just as sick as they are.

Uh-huh.

Uh-huh....

Tuesday, Democrats on the Assembly Public Safety Committee declined to advance the bill,

Mandatory sentencing doesn't do a thing. I'm against such measures because they are political stunts more than anything else. I'm also wondering about the actual recidivism rate on this crime. Was this even a problem?
Life in prison would keep the perverts away from kids, Dumbass.

And you defend them. What a sick fuck you are.

Perverts who like to molest kids are sick, and never get better. They should be put to death after they first time they are caught.

Dimwingers are on their side, so you are just as sick as they are.
Fuck off you child sex obsessed sicko. Getting about fed up with you idiots poisoning every discussion with ludicrous accusations of people actually supporting child abuse just because they might have a differing opinion.

Another reason there is no place in the world for Democrats

When will the voters wakeup and quit voting for the pedophiles.
Matt Gaetz, still in Congress, but I guess that his transgressions are ok since he is a republican.
Where is the outrage??

Forum List

Back