Democrats push to lower voting age to 17 with support from George Soros

It has always been that way. And if there is a need for a draft, then they have all their info. Vietnam Nam was pretty much our last draft. In '73 they went to an all volunteer military.
18 Or raise the draft age also.

US does not have a draft anymore. Short of a world war there is no need for a draft.

It says on this government page that 18 year olds have to register for selective service.

Selective Service Systems > Registration > Why Register

So if people want to raise the voting age, then raise the draft age also. Since some of you are arguing there is no draft then this shouldn't be a problem. Right?

Military will take take younger than 18 with parent's permission, but regardless of age they can't drink till 21.
They can fight and die, but not have a beer.

I was driving and flying around 13 or 14 but could not vote.

I had a degree before I turned 21.

My son is reuping his service as an officer now. He got permission before he was 18 to join.

Most kids in collage now I would not trust to babysit my grandkids.

US does not have a draft anymore. Short of a world war there is no need for a draft.

It says on this government page that 18 year olds have to register for selective service.

Names in a data base is not a draft.

>> in a crisis.....<<

Military will draw from NG before they have need for a draft.

So you're arguing it's OK to draft someone who can't vote?

>> in a crisis.....<<

military you follow orders. To vote you have to be informed of all options, weigh the merits of each and then know your own mind. Much harder

Kids go to military school when they are around 8 or so, but they don't vote. Same training just with school as well.

I think military school is actually harder than basic.

>> in a crisis.....<<

military you follow orders. To vote you have to be informed of all options, weigh the merits of each and then know your own mind. Much harder

Kids go to military school when they are around 8 or so, but they don't vote. Same training just with school as well.

I disagree. If you're going to send men to fight wars then those men need a say in government. What you described sounds like a dictatorship, Nazi Germany.

>> in a crisis.....<<

Military you follow orders. To vote you have to be informed of all options, weigh the merits of each and then know your own mind. Much harder

I disagree. If you're going to send men to fight wars then those men need a say in government. What you described sounds like a dictatorship, Nazi Germany.

A lot of countries have military service as 16 or 17. Canada recently lowered their voting age to 18 but allow service at 16.

I had friends that were fighting and dying at 14 or 15. Some countries force kids to become fighters. I've seen kids barely in kindergarten that are being taught to fight and handle weapons.

Even in the US you have kids taking karate classes that very young. Why is that so different? Their body is their weapon instead of guns. Those with marital arts training can be charged as using a lethal weapon in a fight.

Knowing who or what to vote for is hard for many adults. You think kids have the experience and maturity to vote? A lot of those protesting this last election have never voted or even registered to vote but they are rioting over things they have no real understanding of, just because it is he "thing to do"

No, voting should be for those of a higher age not younger.

>> in a crisis.....<<

Military you follow orders. To vote you have to be informed of all options, weigh the merits of each and then know your own mind. Much harder

A lot of countries have military service as 16 or 17. Canada recently lowered their voting age to 18 but allow service at 16.

I had friends that were fighting and dying at 14 or 15. Some countries force kids to become fighters. I've seen kids barely in kindergarten that are being taught to fight and handle weapons.

Even in the US you have kids taking karate classes that very young. Why is that so different? Their body is their weapon instead of guns. Those with marital arts training can be charged as using a lethal weapon in a fight.

Knowing who or what to vote for is hard for many adults. You think kids have the experience and maturity to vote? A lot of those protesting this last election have never voted or even registered to vote but they are rioting over things they have no real understanding of, just because it is he "thing to do"

Forcing kids to fight and die is a noble cause to you? Forcing men to fight without the right to vote makes sense to you? Parents are no longer responsible for an 18 year old and you would take away their right to vote? Karate is a choice, not even remotely close to being sent across the work to kill someone. smh

actually we need to raise voting age to "when you can buy your own health insurance."

Democrats push to lower voting age to 17 with boost from billionaire George Soros
Yeah, let's get the young uneducated, left leaning, vote to expand. My 3 requirements to vote: be a veteran...or...own property, or pay taxes on an earned income...nor you shall not have lived in public housing, or collected food stamps in last 12 months. Also, dead beat dad...no vote.
Thankfully your opinion is unconstitutional.

18 is considered when people are mature enough to be able to vote responsibility. They are leaving secondary school and entering the real world. It is probably best left at 18.

>> in a crisis.....<<

Forcing kids to fight and die is a noble cause to you? Forcing men to fight without the right to vote makes sense to you? Parents are no longer responsible for an 18 year old and you would take away their right to vote? Karate is a choice, not even remotely close to being sent across the work to kill someone. smh

I'd like a minimal high school diploma to vote not just an age. They should be able to read and understand the book of candidates and issues and do their own reading for more opinions before making up their mind. Some have never even heard of the candidates or issues yet they presume to vote.

Kid through out history have been fighting and dying for their countries and did not have a vote in their government. Many countries today have people fighting that have no "real" vote in government.

Age or ability to fight is not a criteria for voting.

Gangs have kids that are fighting and dying but they are not given a vote in those gangs. Some are not really given an option not to join those groups.

Pulling a trigger does not mean able to understand government or even able to read a ballot. A ten year old can shoot a dear but he does not have a say in gun laws or hunting regulations.

Kids can be killed walking across a street or just playing in their yard but they don't get a vote.

Why should dying for a country mean they understand what government is or how it is supposed to work?

I grew up surrounded by military and politics and I certainly don't know everything about this country or the one I grew up in. I am more perplexed by the people voting than the issues, but I read both sides of the issues well before they are on the ballot and like to discuss them with friends.

I've only missed one vote since I was old enough to vote.

My mother is so the opposite, I don't think she ever voted and yet she used to help run the polling in her neighborhood. Now she can't understand when I try to explain to her about the candidates or issues.

Many people could vote and choose not. It is not age or understanding but apathy for the system. This last elections people who have not voted in years came out.

Age, at 18, is not always mature enough to vote, nor is 48 or even 80 in some case. If people do vote they should know enough about what they are voting for to make an informed decision, not just flip a coin and guess at who or what to vote for.

How are you going to test for that? Age? Education? Experience? Some prerequisite test? Should health or medicine be a factor? Should volunteering be or helping with education of others be required? Should a town hall debate?

Do you really think the snowflakes of this last year are mature enough? Many did not even understand how the votes process that we have had for more than 200 years even worked and are still in shock and protesting the results.

I'm not sure how to make a determination but lowering the age is not the answer. I find kids are less mature than they were a few decades ago. There is less reason to give them the right and obligation to vote, not more.

there you go.....if a kid is adult enough to go fight a war in some shithole on the other side of the world than they should be adult enough to have a say in the fuckers who will send them there........

It is inarguable that a kid who goes to war for his country contributes to the well-being of the country.

My question is why should those who are supported by the taxpayers (excluding Social Security, of course) have a say in when they get a raise in benefits, and how much?

Or lower to, whenever you're old enough to get a gun.

min-age.jpg

Ooohhhhh lookie, a fascist is lying, must be a day ending in "y"

You can NEVER posses a long gun in the Peoples Republic of California.

Long guns, like rifles??? People in CA do too

Perhaps you have not noticed but we have an all volunteer military.

Forum List

Back