Democrats Pass GI Bill, McCain and Bush cave

DeadCanDance

May 29, 2007
A GI education bill for the 21st century. Dramatic expansion of educational benefits to veterans. Most significant expansion of veterans benefits in decades. Nicely done.

This is the bill McCain and Bush opposed. But, they caved in the end and signed onto it.

A GI education bill for the 21st century. Dramatic expansion of educational benefits to veterans. Most significant expansion of veterans benefits in decades. Nicely done.

This is the bill McCain and Bush opposed. But, they caved in the end and signed onto it.

In other words, the Dems didn't pass shit. The President signed it.

I don't see a link to the bill or it's signing?

Links aren't neccessary for things that are common knowlege, and are reported everywhere except perhaps the news sources you rely on: NewsMax, FreeRepublic, and Rush Limbaugh.

What kind of veteran are you, that you aren't aware of the most significant veteran's legislation passed in generations?

This is the GI bill that McCain, BUsh, and half the republicans on this board oppossed a month ago. The dems finally put the legislation embedded into the iraq war supplemental, knowing that bush would sign for more money for iraq.

Links aren't neccessary for things that are common knowlege, and are reported everywhere except perhaps the news sources you rely on: NewsMax, FreeRepublic, and Rush Limbaugh.

What kind of veteran are you, that you aren't aware of the most significant veteran's legislation passed in generations?

This is the GI bill that McCain, BUsh, and half the republicans on this board oppossed a month ago. The dems finally put the legislation embedded into the iraq war supplemental, knowing that bush would sign for more money for iraq.

So as usual the Liberals hijack needed legislation to tack on their bullshit. Thanks for sharing.

We're the retired kind that the this legislation has no impact on.

No one opposed the legislation. I oppose it being attached to another piece of legislation, regardless the reason, or who did it.

I also opposed then the same thing I do now ... you and your ilk politicizing it.

No one opposed the legislation. I oppose it being attached to another piece of legislation, regardless the reason, or who did it.

I also opposed then the same thing I do now ... you and your ilk politicizing it.

That isn't accurate. McCain opposed the Bill. Bush had no business including his name in the Bill's supporters.

Saying he takes "a back seat to no one in my affection, respect and devotion to veterans," McCain said Webb's bill would be a disincentive for service members to become noncommissioned officers, which he called "the backbone of all the services."

McCain defends opposition to GI Bill - CNN.com

I always find it amusing how all right wingers have to do is say "we never said that"... or "we supported ... yadda yadda yadda" and the base says "oh yeah"... regardless of what was actually done or said.

*shakes head*

Funny how you and ones like you do not look into reasons why people oppose bills... you simply look at the black and white (usually only when it suits you)....

For example, when the GI Bill Bill (God that sounds weird... .anyway) was first discussed and oppositions were announced in May, we heard little into the reasons... mainly because it is more advantageous for th DEMs to just try and paint a picture that the evil nasty REPs 'do not want to support the soldiers like they say they do'... some of the opposition was not to the program but along the lines of how to fund it with yet another punishment system... the tax increase to support the improved GI Bill would be completely disproportionate... I would fully support the bill for my military brethren if the burden of support was equal across the board for each citizen... I am a huge proponent of equal percentage taxation/ equal taxation burden...

So am I happy bennies for my military brothers and sisters will improve?? Yes... Am I happy at how it is coming about??? No

Last edited:

And had it been separate from the War Funds and been on it's own two legs would you oppose it or support it?

That isn't accurate. McCain opposed the Bill. Bush had no business including his name in the Bill's supporters.

McCain defends opposition to GI Bill - CNN.com

I always find it amusing how all right wingers have to do is say "we never said that"... or "we supported ... yadda yadda yadda" and the base says "oh yeah"... regardless of what was actually done or said.

*shakes head*
Personally I think Bush said I got 6 months left in office, fuck it, let the next guy deal with the funding. But regardless, credit should be given where it is due. Had Bush not signed it, the benefits would not have been passed. Good for him. :clap2:

Forum List

Back