Democratic Senators Cave on Bankruptcy Bill

Itsthetruth said:
Right. We're all just one big happy family. Me, Kenneth Lay, the Enron workers, oil company execs ..... happy, happy happy!

And anytime anyone dares criticize the big corporate interests that run "their" government the right-wing starts crying "Oh please stop that .... you're preaching class warfare"

Booo Hooo

Now let's all shed a tear for their hero .... Kenneth Lay.

You're avoidance of the issue speaks volumes

Bullypulpit said:
The bankruptcy bil making its way through Congress is nothing more than a payback to the banking and credit card industry for the more than <a href=http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.asp?ind=F06>$7 million</a> in campaign contributions doled out to republicans and democrats in the last election cycle.
That's a crock, BULLY. This Bill was in the works way before the 2000 election.
The bankruptcy bill is simply an excuse to turn the bankruptcy courts into a collection agency for the banking and credit card industry, and deny people who have been forced into bankruptcy due to illness, unemployment or divorce, which compromise the majority of reasons for bankruptcy, a chance to rebuild their lives. It will force many otherwise good and decent people into indentured servants of their creditors.
On that, I totally agree.

Mr. P said:
It would be nice if it were that simple..In some cases it is, in many more it's not...Believe me.

I know that many people have dug themselves in a hole, and they need to work a lot harder to get themselves out. But the principle still applies.

Bullypulpit said:
Sounds like advice the Administration needs to take before it bankrupts the nation.

Then I take it you would vote for a balanced budget amendment, which was part of the Contract With America (if memory serves)?

Mr. P said:
I'll try and get some specifics for you. One of the things I remember in the proposed Bill was, if the client told the attorney "xyz" and "xyz" turned out to be false, the attorney would be held liable, not the client..To make since of that, if you as my client told me you own no property and it turns out you do, it's my problem you lied and I would be held liable by the Federal Bankrupcy Court. I don't know if that's still part of the bill or not, but it's part of what the credit card companies were pushing to prevent Lawyers from even taking cases. This is much more complex than people just paying their debts.

The lawyers in Congress always leave loopholes for their counterparts in practice. It seems that the lawyer could contractually bind their client in order to make them liable for any misrepresentation that would make the lawyer fiscally responsible. I don't think this will make many of the lawyers refuse to take clients. If it is still in the bill I don't think lawyers will end up holding their hats any time soon.

Bankruptcy-bill amendments blocked
March 3, 2005
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Senate Democrats were thwarted yesterday in attempts to soften the effect on seniors and sick people of a proposed law making it harder to erase debts in bankruptcy.

Mostly along party lines, the Republican-controlled Senate voted 59-40 to reject an amendment that would have allowed older people to get special homestead exemptions to keep their homes when they file for bankruptcy. Currently, such exemptions are determined by the states.

Also rebuffed 58-39 were two proposals for people whose medical expenses drive them to file for bankruptcy. The first would have allowed them to keep at least $150,000 of the equity in their primary residence. If, in addition, the medical bills exceed 25 percent of the person's income, the second proposal would have exempted him from a new test in the legislation measuring income and assets of bankruptcy applicants to determine if his debts can be discharged.

By another 59-40 vote, the Senate defeated a Democratic proposal to require that credit-card statements show how long it would take to pay off debt by making only the minimum monthly payment.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031781348102&path=!nationworld&s=1037645509161

That's all right. If seniors are not rich millionnaires and other workers are socked with huge medical bills that's their own damn fault. They shouldn't get sick or old!

And everyone knows that all 200 million of us can be corporate millionnaires and billionnaires. Only one problem. Who will do all the work that keeps this nation running if we're all millionnaire capitalists?

Itsthetruth said:
By another 59-40 vote, the Senate defeated a Democratic proposal to require that credit-card statements show how long it would take to pay off debt by making only the minimum monthly payment.

Now that would have been a good proposal.

Itsthetruth said:
March 3, 2005
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Senate Democrats were thwarted yesterday in attempts to soften the effect on seniors and sick people of a proposed law making it harder to erase debts in bankruptcy.

Mostly along party lines, the Republican-controlled Senate

Wow. Subtle. Do you think the AP proofread this particular "news dispatch" first, or did they just print it directly from Howard Dean's computer?

Itsthetruth said:
voted 59-40 to reject an amendment that would have allowed older people to get special homestead exemptions to keep their homes when they file for bankruptcy. Currently, such exemptions are determined by the states.

Under the new law, then, would the states continue to make these determinations - and, if so, what's wrong with that?

Mr. P said:
No, it's Federal Court..not state.

So, that necessarily means that the determinations will no longer be made on a state-by-state basis - i.e., the new federal law will specifically take that power away from states? The new federal law will supercede all state powers?

March 3, 2005
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

musicman said:
Wow. Subtle. Do you think the AP proofread this particular "news dispatch" first, or did they just print it directly from Howard Dean's computer?

Perhaps they forgot to get it approved by the White House communications director! Can you point to anything in that sentence that is false?

I understand you. You would have liked the news reporter to have written:

"Seniors and sick people just won an important victory today when Congress made it easier for them to erase debts".

Of course that would not have been true. But, we really don't expect to read and hear the truth from those corporate media whores who function as government propagandists now, do we?

I'm sure you wouldn't have found anything to criticize at all if the Associated Press reporter had written that line of b.s. Isn't that right?

I suppose you can put the old blinders on and pretend this law will not hurt the elderly and sick. Come now. Is that really the best you can do?
You'll never get a job as a government propagandist if you can't do better than that!

Itsthetruth said:
Can you point to anything in that sentence that is false?

That's your criterion for truthful reporting, then? "Say nothing false"? Well, Dan Rather and Eason Jordan have forever disabused us of the notion that the mainstream media do not engage in blatant falsehoods, but the usual M.O. is the spin, the distortion, and the lie by omission. This bit of "reporting" is a prime example. And, if anyone needed further proof, how about the fact that you have (surprise, surprise) failed to respond in any way to the substance of my post? It's all about the image with you liberals, isn't it?

Itsthetruth said:
But, we really don't expect to read and hear the truth from those corporate media whores who function as government propagandists now, do we?

Ah, but it's all well and good when they function as Clinton's, Gore's, and Kerry's whores, isn't it?

Itsthetruth said:
I'mm sure bet you wouldn't have found anything to criticize at all if the Associated Press reporter had written that line of b.s. Isn't that right?

Don't worry, Itt. If the mainstream media ever miss an opportunity to do a hatchet piece on conservatives, I can assure you I'll faint in my tracks.

I don't give a damn who disagrees with me but this bill stinks, it looks exactly like what it is, Repubs are in the pocket of credit card companies and banks.

Yes people who take card after card out and run them up and then file bankruptcy should be shackled and made to pay, and no card companies aren't to blame, no card company holds a gun to your head so you apply for their card........but to not put provisions in for medical or other proven personal catastrophe or other situation is wrong and downright mean spirited. I read this bill before I responded to it and I want to know why millionaires can file and local joe blow is basically gonna to jump through hoops and blow someone before he can have a bankruptcy discharged.

We as Repubs fucked up, we will pay big time for this 1 day.

Originally Posted by Itsthetruth
"Can you point to anything in that sentence that is false? "

musicman said:
That's your criterion for truthful reporting, then? "Say nothing false"?

Most of us define false as being the opposite of true. Ever hear of "true or false" answers to questions? Perhaps not.

Unless you have a personal and unique daffynition for the common and simple English words, "true" and "false", it seems you accept the truthfulness of the sentence quoted.

Of course, I haven't seen the daffynition in your personal dictionary.

Perhaps the word "false" means the truth and the word "truth" means a lie. I now have to wonder if the word "down" actually means "up" in your dictionary. Maybe you're just struggling to learn the English language. What country are you from?

Itsthetruth said:
Originally Posted by Itsthetruth
"Can you point to anything in that sentence that is false? "

Most of us define false as being the opposite of true. Ever hear of "true or false" answers? Perhaps not.

Unless you have a personal and unique daffynition for the common and simple English words, "true" and "false", it seems you accept the truthfulness of the sentence quoted.

Of course, I haven't seen the daffynition in your personal dictionary.

Perhaps the word "false" means the truth and the word "truth" means a lie. I now have to wonder if the word "down" actually means "up" in your dictionary. Maybe you're just struggling to learn the English language. What country are you from?

OCA!!! Mr. P!!! Come back!!!

DON'T LEAVE ME ALONE WITH THIS RETARD!!!

OCA said:
I read this bill before I responded to it and I want to know why millionaires can file and local joe blow is basically gonna to jump through hoops and blow someone before he can have a bankruptcy discharged.

We as Repubs fucked up, we will pay big time for this 1 day.

I don't know how it is where you live, but it is easy to file bankruptcy in WA. In fact, my wife works with a lady who, along with her husband, are about to declare Chapter 11 for the thrid time in about 11-12 years - but they've still got a couple of boats, a huge house, luxury cars, etc. I'm not saying every bankruptcy is like this, but I am saying that it sure doesn't seem to be hard to get rich while declaring bankruptcy.

OCA said:
but to not put provisions in for medical or other proven personal catastrophe or other situation is wrong and downright mean spirited.

Let me say though, that I do agree that people with medical conditions that cause them to go bankrupt should have a little easier time with bankruptcy. I haven't read the text of the bill, but if the GOP failed to make exceptions based on this, they might have screwed up.

musicman said:
OCA!!! Mr. P!!! Come back!!!

DON'T LEAVE ME ALONE WITH THIS RETARD!!!

A desperate cry for help! Don't depend on others for help. Stand on your own two feet. Isn't that what Republicans believe in anymore? You know. Self-Reliance, independence, running to mama, whining .... :boohoo:

Forum List

Back