Democratic Senators Cave on Bankruptcy Bill

I

Itsthetruth

The Progressive Magazine
March 12, 2005

Democratic Senators Cave on Bankruptcy Bill
by Matthew Rothschild

On March 11, the U.S. Senate passed the bankruptcy bill that will fill the coffers of the credit card companies while bleeding consumers dry. The bill passed by a whopping 74 to 25 margin, with eighteen Democratic Senators going over to the dark side.

The bill is a fantasy come true for credit card companies, which have been pushing it for years. But it's not as though they're suffering. They made $30 billion in profits last year. The bill severely limits the ability of consumers to wipe away some of their debts and get a fresh start.

Half the people who file for bankruptcy do so because of sky-high medical bills, and another 40 percent due so because of disability, job loss, family death, or divorce, according to the National Consumer Law Center. If you make more than the median income in your state, no matter how high your bills are, you can't wipe the debts clean.

And even if your debts are the consequence of identity theft, of someone stealing your credit card and running up charges, you still are on the hook for them, as the Senate amazingly voted down an amendment to shelter victims of identity theft.

Middle class debtors are the ones who are going to suffer the most under this bill. The poor will still be able to get Chapter 7 protection, which releases them from most of their debts. And the indebted rich can still shelter their property if they get a good lawyer to draw up an asset protection trust in states where that's allowed. And many affluent debtors could still declare bankruptcy and still keep their mansions. On top of that, corporations like Enron could still file bankruptcy to avoid paying their employees.

But if you're struggling to keep your head above water, this bill has one piece of advice for you: drown.

And eighteen Democratic Senators refused to throw you a rope.

http://www.progressive.org/webex05/wx031205.php

Here's the list of 18 Democratic Senators who joined the Republican Senators in sticking it to middle class workers.

Max Baucus, Montana.
Evan Bayh, Indiana.
Joe Biden, Delaware.
Jeff Bingaman, New Mexico.
Robert Byrd, West Virginia.
Thomas Carper, Delaware.
Kent Conrad, North Dakota.
Daniel Inouye, Hawaii.
Tim Johnson, South Dakota.
Herb Kohl, Wisconsin.
Mary Landrieu, Louisiana.
Blanche Lincoln, Arkansas
Bill Nelson, Florida.
Ben Nelson, Nebraska.
Mark Pryor, Arkansas.
Harry Reid, Nevada, Democratic Senate Minority Leader
Ken Salazar, Colorado.
Debbie Stabenow, Michigan.

Damn Senators! Expecting people to pay the bills they promised to in their agreement! How could they be so insensitive?!

You ever think that maybe if 3/4ths of the Senate actually support something it might not be that bad a bill?

no1tovote4 said:
Damn Senators! Expecting people to pay the bills they promised to in their agreement! How could they be so insensitive?!

the bastards................. :gives:

great legislation bought and paid for by your neighborhood banks, credit unions, and miscellaneous financial institutions. :puke3:

Ya. Pity the poor credit card companies and banks. Anything that sticks it to the working middle class and enriches corporate crooks has to be great legislation.

Perhaps if big business interests increase their payoffs to Democratic and Republican politicians they will pass legislation setting up debtors prisons! Ahhh .... bring back the good old days of debtors prisons, child labor, slave labor, corporate robber barons, sweatshops and no unions. We can be just like China! The financial tycoons new role model! Yahoooo! Can't make your credit card payment .... go to jail!

And you know what? I bet some people here would applaud such legislation even if their mama goes to prison!

They will just need to readjust their political blinders! I know that a corporate run government can fool some of the people all of the time but right-wingers are so easy! They are so easily deceived by corporate/government propanganda .... it's truly amazing. And what really makes it amazing is that they honestly think of themselves as being clear thinkers unswayed by crude propaganda. Now that's truly laughable!

Pass the kool-aide. They love it!

Itsthetruth said:
Ya. Pity the poor credit card companies and banks. Anything that sticks it to the working middle class and enriches corporate crooks has to be great legislation.

Perhaps if big business interests increase their payoffs to Democratic and Republican politicians they will pass setting up debtors prisons! Can't make your credit card payment .... go to jail!

And you know what? I bet some people here would applaud such legislation even if their mama goes to prison!

They will just need to readjust their political blinders! I know that a corporate run government can fool some of the people all of the time but right-wingers are so easy!

Have you ever wondered why you do so badly here - why you seem to get slapped around every time you raise your head, and draw back a bloody stump whenever you try to jab? The mindset you exhibit in this post goes a long way toward explaining your problem.

To demonize and marginalize your opponent might make you feel bigger and smarter for the moment, but you ultimately divorce yourself from reality by doing so. You then commit the unpardonable sin of UNDERESTIMATING him.

Itsthetruth said:

Perhaps if big business interests increase their payoffs to Democratic and Republican politicians they will pass legislation setting up debtors prisons! Ahhh .... bring back the good old days of debtors prisons, child labor, slave labor, corporate robber barons, sweatshops and no unions. We can be just like China! The financial tycoons new role model! Yahoooo! Can't make your credit card payment .... go to jail!

They will just need to readjust their political blinders! I know that a corporate run government can fool some of the people all of the time but right-wingers are so easy! They are so easily deceived by corporate/government propanganda .... it's truly amazing. And what really makes it amazing is that they honestly think of themselves as being clear thinkers unswayed by crude propaganda. Now that's truly laughable!

Perhaps people should, and i know this is controversial, TAKE SOME FUCKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEMSELVES!!!! If you can barely afford to make the mortgage payment for the month or pay the elctric bill, do you really need that new big screen tv, or a brand new car? Must you go buy 30 new DVD movies because you figured you have to have them instead of paying for food?

People have no idea how to run their lives financially. Instead of offering ideas on how to get them to, you offer pity programs that keep them in debt. Instead of teaching people to pay off their debt and learn to avoid stupid purchases, you simply want to bail them out whenever they've went to far with it.

SmarterThanYou said:
great legislation bought and paid for by your neighborhood banks, credit unions, and miscellaneous financial institutions. :puke3:

you should boycot those institutions and picket them to get you point across :poke:

Itsthetruth said:

how about we pass a law that there can be no credit for the inept?.....

that way you morons won't run up $50,000 credit card bills and declare BK and get to keep the $50,000 in stuff....

musicman said:
To demonize and marginalize your opponent might make you feel bigger and smarter for the moment, but you ultimately divorce yourself from reality by doing so. You then commit the unpardonable sin of UNDERESTIMATING him.

It's seems you might disagree with my comments, however, it also seems that you can't indicate what you disagree with and why!

Well, if someone steals your credit card identity that can easily be taken care of. If you can't pay off that card don't worry your little head about it. You're going to the slammer! I write that assuming you also think debtors prisons is yet another great corporate sponsored idea.

Well, if you have a problem with debtors prisons I can help you see the wisdom of such legislation. Just let me tighten up your corporate blinders a bit .... and would you also like a refill on your corporate kool-aid?

manu1959 said:
how about we pass a law that there can be no credit for the inept?.....

that way you morons won't run up $50,000 credit card bills and declare BK and get to keep the $50,000 in stuff....

So whose side are you taking ..... the banks and credit card companies or their victims, working middle class people?

Itsthetruth said:
It's seems you might disagree with my comments, however, it also seems that you can't indicate what you disagree with and why!

Well, if someone steals your credit card identity that can easily be taken care of. If you can't pay off that card don't worry your little head about it. You're going to the slammer! I write that assuming you also think debtors prisons is yet another great corporate sponsored idea.

Well, if you have a problem with debtors prisons I can help you see the wisdom of such legislation. Just let me tighten up your corporate blinders a bit .... and would you also like a refill on your corporate kool-aid?

You're a condescending idiotic jackass. What's wrong with people being made to pay their bills? This could reduce credit card rates for all of us you know, if the companies are not forced to pay for the mistakes of incompetent spenders. I know, it's THEIR fault for giving too many people cards. Wise up, foo.

Itsthetruth said:

This is factually incorrect. Credit Cards are protected and you can reverse any charge that is placed on them within 60 days of the original charge. You therefore would not be held responsible for charges made by somebody who has stolen your credit card identity.

Itsthetruth said:
So whose side are you taking ..... the banks and credit card companies or their victims, working middle class people?

How were they "victims"? They were offered credit, signed an agreement to pay, misused the credit and now expect to be able to write it off and start over? Who is the "victim"? It certainly isn't somebody that gets to charge tons of stuff and then never pay for it. The attempt by your party to say these people jumped ship when all they did was vote in favor of personal responsibility is silly and self-defeating rhetoric with no foundation in reality.

Itsthetruth said:

if the victimized middle class and those that run up $50,000 debts declare BK then keep all the stuf are one in the same............then i am with those that they steal from

i supose you support the victims ?

rtwngAvngr said:
This could reduce credit card rates for all of us you know, if the companies are not forced to pay for the mistakes of incompetent spenders.

And when the rate of inflation dropped from 10% to less than 3% and when the prime rate dropped to 1%, did credit card interest rates drop? NO!

Take the blinders off. Credit card rates will not go down no matter what the rate of inflation is or how much money credit card companies can squeeze out of consumers. You see .... 30 billion dollars was just not enough profit for them. They need more. Help them!

Let me get you some more of that good corporate kool-aid. It will refresh your mind!

manu1959 said:
you should boycot those institutions and picket them to get you point across :poke:
I have no credit cards and refuse to get one. unfortunately, in todays society, banks are a requirement to do alot of things. there are some utility companies here in texas that will only accept debit cards or checks for payments, no cash. so, why don't you come up with a better idea instead of offering useless advice.

Itsthetruth said:
And when the rate of inflation dropped from 10% to less than 3% and when the prime rate dropped to 1%, did credit card interest rates drop? NO!

Take the blinders off. Credit card rates will not go down no matter what the rate of inflation is or how much money credit card companies can squeeze out of consumers. You see .... 30 billion dollars was just not enough profit for them. They need more. Help them!

Let me get you some more of that good corporate kool-aid. It will refresh your mind!

They did too. Are you blind?!! It does depend on your personal credit score and other variables. You can, even now, get credit cards that are tied to the prime rate and when rates go up so does your rate but they also drop when the rates drop. I personally haven't paid one dime in interest in years, I pay my bill off every month. You clearly are being deliberately ignorant on how credit cards work, the protection you have because you use them and what decides the interest you pay.

Forum List

Back