Democrat bigotry on parade

The point that everyone is missing is how often we have been told by those on the left, that conservatives are way too bigoted to elect a mormon, when in the end the left are one's who have a problem with the man's faith. Just saying.
No, no one’s missing any point – what’s missing is evidence that democrats are ‘bigoted’ against Mormons.

There’s no evidence republicans are, either.

You’re confusing ‘conservative’ with ‘Christian conservative,’ where there is evidence the latter is hostile toward Mormons:

In June, evangelical essayist Warren Cole Smith touched off a debate on Patheos, a religion website, when he wrote that electing a Mormon president “would serve to normalize the false teachings of Mormonism the world over. ... To elect a Mormon president is to advance the cause of the Mormon Church.”

Evangelical dislike of LDS Church can

No, he thinks conservatives are not going to vote for Romney because he's Mormon. Or he thinks that 'we' think that.

To a certain degree, he's correct.

Disagree, that’s just not the democrats’ MO. They’ll vote against Romney because he’s weak and indecisive, having nothing to do with his faith.

case in point.

To be clear. Your claim is that no lefties made the claim that conservatives would never elect Romney based on the pure fact he is a mormon?

You will have much more luck pulling quotes from people here claiming that evangelicals wont vote for Romney because he's a Mormon.

Nearly the entire left wing of the board thinks that the collective GOP will "elect" Romney in the primary.

At this point nearly everyone thinks Romney will win the primary, but such was not the case when the primaries first started...agreed?

Not really.

I think most thought Romney was going to win heading in as well.

You will have much more luck pulling quotes from people here claiming that evangelicals wont vote for Romney because he's a Mormon.

Nearly the entire left wing of the board thinks that the collective GOP will "elect" Romney in the primary.

At this point nearly everyone thinks Romney will win the primary, but such was not the case when the primaries first started...agreed?

Not really.

OK, do you ever recall some liberals saying "Christian conservatives" will never vote for Romney because he is a Mormon?

Not really.

OK, do you ever recall some liberals saying "Christian conservatives" will never vote for Romney because he is a Mormon?

Yes, but to me (and many others, I suspect) the term "Christian conservative" is not referring to any conservative who happens to be a Christian. I identify that term with the Evangelicals.

Not really.

Yes, but to me (and many others, I suspect) the term "Christian conservative" is not referring to any conservative who happens to be a Christian. I identify that term with the Evangelicals.

Oh I don't know. My wife is evangelical and my mother is so flaming Catholic it's sickening. Both of them support Romney and neither can stand Santorum. Now I do have some friends who are Independents who have told me they won't vote for Romney because he is Mormon. Liberals won't vote for him because he's a Republican and his faith is irrelevant to them.

Oh I don't know. My wife is evangelical and my mother is so flaming Catholic it's sickening. Both of them support Romney and neither can stand Santorum. Now I do have some friends who are Independents who have told me they won't vote for Romney because he is Mormon. Liberals won't vote for him because he's a Republican and his faith is irrelevant to them.

Naturally, there is no blanket rule which is why making blanket statements is silly.

And as the OP notes there are plenty of Independents who wont vote for a Mormon. Being an Independent doesn't automatically free someone of bigotry.

Naturally, there is no blanket rule which is why making blanket statements is silly.

And as the OP notes there are plenty of Independents who wont vote for a Mormon. Being an Independent doesn't automatically free someone of bigotry.

Sure....I would agree that my wife and Mother are exceptions rather than the rule. I would guess that most people who are devoutly religious support Santorum at this point, but after he fails to get the nomination they will support Romney even though they won't want to. Stuff like this happens every election cycle. Right now the GOP is fractured and many people have the position of "if it's not my man I will vote for Obama in protest or not vote at all". Maybe some will but in reality the vast majority will rally behind whoever gets the nomination just because they can't bear to thing of four more years of Obama. Same thing happened with Hillary supporters in 2008.

It's the Independents that are critical. The bases of both parties are largely irrelevant once the nomination is secured.

Last edited:
The point that everyone is missing is how often we have been told by those on the left, that conservatives are way too bigoted to elect a mormon, when in the end the left are one's who have a problem with the man's faith. Just saying.

You really think liberals are not going to vote for Romney mainly because he's Mormon?

No, I didn't say that. It does seem they have more of a problem with his religon than conservatives though.

The fact is that Jon Huntsman, who is also a Mormon, got far more favorable sentiment from the left than any other candidate in the race.

So explain that.

You really think liberals are not going to vote for Romney mainly because he's Mormon?
We've heard for years that conservatives didn't vote for Obama because he's black. :eusa_whistle:

And the point of that totally unrelated comment is...??

No, I didn't say that. It does seem they have more of a problem with his religon than conservatives though.

The fact is that Jon Huntsman, who is also a Mormon, got far more favorable sentiment from the left than any other candidate in the race.

So explain that.

Was Huntsman ever a real candidate? No he was not, so I don't think he's a good litmus test.

I never made the claim the left would not support a mormon anyway. It was the contention of many on the left that the right would never support a mormon, and apparently the left seems to have more issue with it than the right.

So explain that.

Was Huntsman ever a real candidate? No he was not, so I don't think he's a good litmus test.

I never made the claim the left would not support a mormon anyway. It was the contention of many on the left that the right would never support a mormon, and apparently the left seems to have more issue with it than the right.

Yes he was a real candidate, despite his lack of REPUBLICAN/CONSERVATIVE support. Maybe THEY had a problem with his Mormonism.

So explain that.

Yes he was a real candidate, despite his lack of REPUBLICAN/CONSERVATIVE support. Maybe THEY had a problem with his Mormonism.

thats just dumb for obvious reasons.

thats just dumb for obvious reasons.

Ah, so the idea that conservatives could have a problem with Mormonism is dumb, but the idea of liberals having a problem with Mormonism makes perfect sense.

THAT would be dumber.

Forum List

Back