Defense Secretary To Certify DADT Repeal

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Defense Secretary To Certify DADT Repeal | NewsWire

WASHINGTON — Pentagon chief Leon Panetta has decided to end the ban on gays serving openly in the armed services and certify that repealing the 17-year-old prohibition will not hurt the military's ability to fight, officials said Thursday.

His decision, which was expected, comes two weeks after the chiefs of the military services told Panetta that ending the ban would not affect military readiness. Dismantling the ban fulfills a 2008 campaign promise by President Barack Obama, who helped usher the repeal through Congress and signed it into law late last December.
<more>

I thought the courts ended DADT... and then Obama asked them to re-instate it, pretty much just so HE could have the military officially end it and get the credit.

I thought the courts ended DADT... and then Obama asked them to re-instate it, pretty much just so HE could have the military officially end it and get the credit.

I really don't care who gets the "credit" for it...it's gone. No longer will gays and lesbians need to be in constant fear of discharge for the consenting adult they kiss goodnight. Happy day!

:clap2:

I really don't care who gets the "credit" for it...it's gone. No longer will gays and lesbians need to be in constant fear of discharge for the consenting adult they kiss goodnight. Happy day!

And, during liberty, a lot will get their asses kicked.

I would imagine many know this and will still not say a thing.

Really? Define "a lot"? That might be your wet dream of what will happen, but the reality will be different. Did you read ANY of the DADT survey results? They sky isn't going to fall...

Before the repeal:

• 38.3% of Service members have shared a room, berth, or field tent with a servicemember they believed to be gay or lesbian
  • 50.1% of Service members have been assigned to share bath facilities also used bysomeone they believed to be gay or lesbian.
  • Service members&#8217; ratings of the units in which they served with a Service member they believed to be gay or lesbian did not vary by whether the unit member believed to be gay or lesbian was a leader, coworker, or subordinate. This was true for the three unit characteristics of task cohesion, morale, and performance

The Aussies, the Canadians, the Brits...none of them went out and rolled queers on liberty...why do you feel our servicemembers will be less professional than theirs? It's simply not the "in" thing to do anymore...

As one special operations fighter told the Committee, &#8220;We have a gay guy [in the unit]. He&#8217;s big, he&#8217;s mean, and he kills lots of bad guys. No one cared that he was gay.&#8221;

Last edited:

Really? Define "a lot"? That might be your wet dream of what will happen, but the reality will be different. Did you read ANY of the DADT survey results? They sky isn't going to fall...

It's amazing what you think makes up a 'wet dream' for me.

Projecting your violent tendencies onto me apparently is your idea of what makes a logical argument.

That makes you an.....................

Idiot.

Projecting your violent tendencies onto me apparently is your idea of what makes a logical argument.

Nice deflection from the FACTS. The sky isn't going to fall and "a lot" of queers aren't going to get rolled.

Idiot.

Nice deflection from the FACTS. The sky isn't going to fall and "a lot" of queers aren't going to get rolled.
Did I say the sky was going to fall?

No. You did. You are arguing with yourself.

Idiot.

I DID say that many homosexuals in the services will STILL not come out, for good reason. There is a good possibility that they will get their asses kicked off duty. There also is a good possibility that their military careers will suffer.

But, put your head back in the sand, because you are an idiot.

Idiot.

I DID say that many homosexuals in the services will STILL not come out, for good reason. There is a good possibility that they will get their asses kicked off duty. There also is a good possibility that their military careers will suffer.

What a master of the ad hominem...you have ZERO foundation in fact for your supposition. Nothing like that happened in the countries that have lifted their bans and yet somehow you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN it is going to happen in the United States...without ANY EVIDENCE. The facts are, obviously, not in your favor which is why you resort to ridiculous (and pretty lame) personal attacks.

If some homophobe's military career "suffers" as a result of their douchebaggery...good. It will be deserved.

Idiot.

What a master of the ad hominem...you have ZERO foundation in fact for your supposition.

Really? Gays and lesbians have never been the victim of violence because they are gays or lesbians? They've never had their careers suffer because of that?

As I said, put your head back in the sand, idiot.

Idiot.

What a master of the ad hominem...you have ZERO foundation in fact for your supposition.

Really? Gays and lesbians have never been the victim of violence because they are gays or lesbians? They've never had their careers suffer because of that?

Of course they have...that doesn't equate to "a lot" of them suddenly getting "beaten up while on liberty" due to the repeal of DADT. You've got nothing but opinion and supposition. Over 50% of the troops say they have served with people they know or believe to be gay or lesbian. Over 400 servicemembers are NOW serving honestly and haven't been "beaten up". You're just projecting.

Gays and lesbians military career will suffer a lot less now that they can't get discharged for their consenting adult behavior. This is a GOOD thing...but, naturally, you had to opine it into a negative.

DADT is over...this is reason to celebrate, not hang crepe.

Of course they have...that doesn't equate to "a lot" of them suddenly getting "beaten up while on liberty" due to the repeal of DADT. You've got nothing but opinion and supposition. Over 50% of the troops say they have served with people they know or believe to be gay or lesbian. Over 400 servicemembers are NOW serving honestly and haven't been "beaten up".

I have no idea what you mean by "NOW serving honestly". WTF does that mean? Are you one of those idiots who thinks everyone who makes a personal choice to stay in the closet is dishonest?

That's fucked up in how much it reflects the authoritarian bent we know you have.

Gays and lesbians military career will suffer a lot less now that they can't get discharged for their consenting adult behavior. This is a GOOD thing...but, naturally, you had to opine it into a negative.

DADT is over...this is reason to celebrate, not hang crepe.
Whether it's a good thing or not remains to be seen. It may be good for some, it may be bad for more.

That remains to be seen, but somehow you KNOW the future. That's pretty scary thinking on your part, in the sense of insanity.

Our neighbor's daughter is now serving honestly as that means she is openly gay and serving.
You know, being who you are.
Who would want to stay in the closet unless someone is out to do something that was not beneficial to you?
That is what is fucked up. Having to stay in the closet because of that. Gays and lesbians stay in the closet because of bigotry and discrimination if they don't.
What other reason would they?
How would being discharged for being gay be "a good thing"?

[
If some homophobe's military career "suffers" as a result of their douchebaggery...good. It will be deserved.

I'm not sure that would be a good thing, necessarily. If someone with an excellent service record finds himself hounded by the PC police, that weakens the military, not strengthens it.

Here's the thing. Even before this policy, the only guys really getting thrown out of the military for being gay were the ones who wanted out. Telling the CO you were gay was a shortcut to an administrative discharge when you figured out the whole military thing wasn't as 'fabulous" as the recruiter made it sound.

In the 11 years I served, (Guard and Active) I knew three people who got out this way, and they all wanted out. One even told us privately he wasn't gay, he just wanted to get out when he figured that the Army would tell him what to do.

Now, I actually had a soldier in my squad who was gay. Basically, he was too flighty and emotional to really be an effective soldier. Tended to mouth off frequently. One night, got himself beaten up at the Enlisted Club because he got drunk and made a pass at some guys who felt the need to reassert their manhood. Really a riot when the MP woke me up at 0300 to tell me about that.

"You Sgt. B?"

Yes

"Private S in your squad?"

Yes..

"Well, he's in the infirmary. He got beaten up at the NCO Club last night."

The downside was, he was HIV positive, so the two guys who beat him and the two female medics who patched him up had to get tested for years because he was bleeding all over the place.

So, while I think this was probably a necessary move, I think it's not going to be as easy as the proponents say it is.

[

I'm not sure that would be a good thing, necessarily. If someone with an excellent service record finds himself hounded by the PC police, that weakens the military, not strengthens it.

Here's the thing. Even before this policy, the only guys really getting thrown out of the military for being gay were the ones who wanted out. Telling the CO you were gay was a shortcut to an administrative discharge when you figured out the whole military thing wasn't as 'fabulous" as the recruiter made it sound.

In the 11 years I served, (Guard and Active) I knew three people who got out this way, and they all wanted out. One even told us privately he wasn't gay, he just wanted to get out when he figured that the Army would tell him what to do.

Now, I actually had a soldier in my squad who was gay. Basically, he was too flighty and emotional to really be an effective soldier. Tended to mouth off frequently. One night, got himself beaten up at the Enlisted Club because he got drunk and made a pass at some guys who felt the need to reassert their manhood. Really a riot when the MP woke me up at 0300 to tell me about that.

"You Sgt. B?"

Yes

"Private S in your squad?"

Yes..

"Well, he's in the infirmary. He got beaten up at the NCO Club last night."

The downside was, he was HIV positive, so the two guys who beat him and the two female medics who patched him up had to get tested for years because he was bleeding all over the place.

So, while I think this was probably a necessary move, I think it's not going to be as easy as the proponents say it is.

I know 2 officers that DID NOT want out and were thrown out for BEING GAY.
Are you claiming the hundreds of interpreters that were thrown out for being gay "wanted out"?
Not in a million years. Even the military disputes your claims. They do not like losing talent and that was the reason Mullen and Gates WANTED THE REPEAL.
Check the figures.
Servicemembers Legal Defense Network

Forum List

Back