Deem and Pass No Go

It would only be interesting if they did this without a guarantee that they will have the votes.

Updated 2:52 pm EST

WASHINGTON, D.C., March 20, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) - A desperate compromise attempt by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to snatch up the votes of pro-life Democrats led by Rep. Bart Stupak (D-MI) appears to have disintegrated under intense pressure from pro-abortion lobbyists, various sources report Saturday.

The dramatic bid reportedly fell apart one day before the House's final vote on the Senate health care bill scheduled for Sunday.

Breakdown: Pelosi's 11th-Hour Pitch for Pro-Life Dem Votes Crumbles

There will be enough leagal challenges to it as it is, had they did 'deem &pass' it was sunk for sure.

For now they will just pass the monster with the con that it will be 'fixed' and then try and pass all the stuff they stripped out to make it look like a money saver.

The Rs are flooding c-span. The host asked one woman objecting to the bill why she doesn't have healthcare, she said because she can't afford it.. :cuckoo:

Just happening:

'Deem and pass' out, overhaul to get direct vote - Health care reform- msnbc.com

WASHINGTON - With a showdown vote on health care legislation set for Sunday in the House, Democrats have dropped a controversial plan to indirectly approve the bill, choosing instead to hold a direct vote on the Senate’s version of the overhaul.

The Washington Post and POLITCO reported the news on Saturday afternoon, less than an hour before President Barack Obama was scheduled to meet with the House Democratic caucus.

The “deem and pass” procedure would have allowed House Democrats to avoid an up-or-down vote on the Senate bill, which many members dislike because of the bill’s carve-out provisions for individual states.
As it should be, had they did 'deem & pass' it would have been shot down by the courts for sure.

The Rs are flooding c-span. The host asked one woman objecting to the bill why she doesn't have healthcare, she said because she can't afford it.. :cuckoo:

and you think the US of KKKA can afford it? and a :cuckoo: and I'll raise you :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

and you think the US of KKKA can afford it? and a :cuckoo: and I'll raise you :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

So we should continue to let big insurance have so much power and control over everyone's health? Everyone agrees healthcare needs fixing. Their policies are driving people to the poorhouse and allowing people to fall through the cracks simply because they don't have money to pay..

That is evil.

Wholey Moley they have got the votes and are sooo sure they are giddy.

This country has a chance to save American lives that would otherwise be lost.

praise this day and My man Reid may just win his next election.

Democrats ditch plan to avoid direct vote on health care - CNN.com

Washington (CNN) -- Democratic leaders have decided to abandon the plan to avoid a direct vote on the Senate health care bill, known as deem and pass.

Instead, multiple Democratic sources told CNN that they will have three independent votes -- a vote on the rule, then a vote on the fix package, followed by a vote on the Senate bill.

Previously, Democrats did not think they could pass the fixes before the bill. But they have been assured by the Senate parliamentarian that it is possible.

The committee was expected to determine whether the House will vote Sunday on a rule that would simply deem the Senate bill -- a sweeping $875 billion reform plan that cleared the Senate in December -- passed. The House then would've proceeded to a separate vote on another $65 billion in compromise changes.

"You all in the minority continue to say what the American people think," Rep. Alcee Hastings, D-Florida, said during a particularly spirited portion of the meeting.

"You don't know what all of the American people think. And you certainly don't know what those in my constituency think."

If the Senate bill passes the House, Obama will sign it into law. If the package of changes is passed, it will be taken up by the Senate.
Freshmen House Republicans railed Saturday against the bill and the possible legislative mechanism Democrats may use to pass it.

Interesting.

no the fuck it's not.

So we should continue to let big insurance have so much power and control over everyone's health? Everyone agrees healthcare needs fixing. Their policies are driving people to the poorhouse and allowing people to fall through the cracks simply because they don't have money to pay..

That is evil.

you cannot answer a simple question can you?

That is evil.

Sarah, no one - at least no one I know - wants to things to stay the way they are. We want reform..... REFORM, not TAKE OVER.

That is evil.
So you are all for exchanging evil insurance companies (Which you can drop if you wish) for evil government. (Which you cannot drop no matter how much you may want to).

And you count this as a win? :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

That is evil.

Sarah, no one - at least no one I know - wants to things to stay the way they are. We want reform..... REFORM, not TAKE OVER.

How is this a takeover of healthcare?

Forum List

Back