Deathpanels? Lies?

eagleseven

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Jul 8, 2009
OH
Who determines what treatment you get? Will everyone be able to get the latest and greatest cancer treatments, regardless of age and standard of living?

Healthcare doesn't grow on trees. The uncomfortable truth is that in any government healthcare system, HR 3200 notwithstanding, federal accountants will ultimately be calling the shots. If accountants do not call the shots, the system will fail in short order. The term "Death Panels" dramatizes this truth.

I hope this makes clear one of the issues of the current debate.

Who determines what treatment you get? Will everyone be able to get the latest and greatest cancer treatments, regardless of age and standard of living?

Healthcare doesn't grow on trees. The uncomfortable truth is that in any government healthcare system, HR 3200 notwithstanding, federal accountants will ultimately be calling the shots. If accountants do not call the shots, the system will fail in short order. The term "Death Panels" dramatizes this truth.

Taking a post you made in another thread and making it's own thread doesn't make it a great point.

Saying that "Federal Accountants" are running the shots is you speculating at BEST. Until you have the facts, don't bullshit. This board has enough of it as is.

Taking a post you made in another thread and making it's own thread doesn't make it a great point.
It is an issue that must be discussed, and so it deserves its own thread. Whine about it in the flame forum.

Saying that "Federal Accountants" are running the shots is you speculating at BEST. Until you have the facts, don't bullshit. This board has enough of it as is.
You believe healthcare grows on trees...

*facepalm*

As I said, if the government does NOT consider cost of treatment, the system will fail. Do you have any grasp of economics at all?

You believe healthcare grows on trees...

*facepalm*

As I said, if the government does NOT consider cost of treatment, the system will fail. Do you have any grasp of economics at all?

I have already stated my opinion on this Health Care stuff throughout many threads so I won't repeat myself here. However, Cost of Treatment is something that will be considered in the long run. I also have a grasp of economics. If you care, I will at some point post on what I think should be done and shouldn't be done. However, my opinions on all of this are in many threads at this point.

I agree 100% E7.

You can't have it both ways.

"Death Panels" may be hyperbole, but conjoined with government run health care is a panel of government bureaucrats that will be making the decision that affect who lives and who dies, based on determinates such as age and "quality of life".

Death panels is graphic but accurate. In order to control costs, treatments/medicines/procedures/services will be rationed. Rationing means you get x and y but not z and if you die without z, one less fish in the pool. See Ezekiel Emanuel's 'Complete Lives System' for how the decision making process would work. And any public option would, like Missourian said, be run by some government panel.

Can someone explain to me how things like routine checkups, exams, tests, etc. being covered 100% is going to make things less expensive? It's like having your car inspection, new tires, oil changes be covered by your auto insurance. It would drive up the cost of your auto insurance. How is it not going to drive up the costs of health insurance?

Is there a proposal in any bill that has insurance being opened up across the states? Wouldn't this automatically provide more supply and reduce cost? Why is there even a government run option out there? Why not open it up across the states first and see how that works? Why in God's name let the government get it's paws on this? They will only fuck it up and they have no damn business doing this anyway. Reform? Yup. Government? NO.

You know how Obama said he won't sign anything that adds one dime to the deficit? Is there a number that the CBO is looking for that would meet this?

Personally I don't see how this isn't going to end up costing every person more and more money, no matter what they do.

Last edited:
I live in a fairly rural area without a great deal of public transportation. Anyone who needs specialty services usually goes to Phila. which is about 1.5 hrs. away. I foresee, in the not so distant future, people screaming for more public transportation and/or free cars. It might be a stretch, but I predict people will argue that they are not getting the "same care".

This is dishonest.

Under the proposed plans, if you don't believe you're getting enough care, you always have the right to go purchase any "extra" on your own.

So don't pretend you care about other Americans who have fewer resources than you. It doesn't square with your track record.

I live in a fairly rural area without a great deal of public transportation. Anyone who needs specialty services usually goes to Phila. which is about 1.5 hrs. away. I foresee, in the not so distant future, people screaming for more public transportation and/or free cars. It might be a stretch, but I predict people will argue that they are not getting the "same care".
We should have better transportation. High speed trains would be ideal, and we lag behind Europe on that, as well as healthcare.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back