dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
I used to be for the death penalty but have changes my mind. Life in prison
1--asssures they will not do it again
2-- costs less in many cases
3--allows for release in case new evidence arises to aquit them

My only problem with life in prison is they have made the thing too damn cushy---give em bread and water and make em stay in the damn cell the whole time.

I am moving away from the death penalty also. Too many have been found to have been wrongly convicted. There is something harsher about life without parole than 'going to sleep.'

Kathianne said:
I am moving away from the death penalty also. Too many have been found to have been wrongly convicted. There is something harsher about life without parole than 'going to sleep.'

and one can remain consistant with "thou shalt not kill "

dilloduck said:

My only problem with life in prison is they have made the thing too damn cushy---give em bread and water and make em stay in the damn cell the whole time.
Death will assure they won't do it again, too. How much cheaper could you get than an 89 cent bullet. Damn, we could go even more expensive and get maybe a $15 rope from Home Depot.

I know kids who are working full time jobs to get thru school. And we have criminals that get room, board, food, TV and an education if they want it. Prisons should be self supporting. If I don't work, I don't eat, and I haven't committed a crime.

There are people who beyond a resonable doubt have been proven to have committed a crime. Why should MY money have to keep them alive. I realize that if it were my son facing this, as a mother, I would beg for his life.
But there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Joz said:
Death will assure they won't do it again, too. How much cheaper could you get than an 89 cent bullet. Damn, we could go even more expensive and get maybe a $15 rope from Home Depot.

I know kids who are working full time jobs to get thru school. And we have criminals that get room, board, food, TV and an education if they want it. Prisons should be self supporting. If I don't work, I don't eat, and I haven't committed a crime.

There are people who beyond a resonable doubt have been proven to have committed a crime. Why should MY money have to keep them alive. I realize that if it were my son facing this, as a mother, I would beg for his life.
But there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

too many laws say we gotta treat em nice-----just get those changed--oh my bad--liberal judges

dilloduck said:
and one can remain consistant with "thou shalt not kill "

Thou shall not kill has never been an effective argument against the death penalty. First, the Hebrew word is "murder," not "kill." Second, God prescribed the death penalty in Old Testament Law.

Kathianne said:

I would allow the death penalty if DNA evidence tags someone as the killer, or if there are witnesses. Other cases, I may be a bit more lax.

But I agree with Dillo... life in prison is hardly punishment these days, unless you take into consideration that you could become Bubba's beotch!

gop_jeff said:
I would allow the death penalty if DNA evidence tags someone as the killer, or if there are witnesses. Other cases, I may be a bit more lax.

But I agree with Dillo... life in prison is hardly punishment these days, unless you take into consideration that you could become Bubba's beotch!

Still smacks of moral relativism to me.

there are two ajoining cells ....there is a convicted murder in one of the cells with a gun....in the other cell there is a gun.....the next convicted murderer is let into the cell with the gun then the door between the two is opened.....next case please

manu1959 said:
there are two ajoining cells ....there is a convicted murder in one of the cells with a gun....in the other cell there is a gun.....the next convicted murderer is let into the cell with the gun then the door between the two is opened.....next case please

cmon---that'll screw up the shiv makers monopoly !! :D

dilloduck said:

Agreed on all counts Dillo, especially now with advances in DNA evidence. Would you say there might be any exceptions though?

Kathianne said:

What ever happened to chain gangs?? J/K :bat:

dilloduck said:
cmon---that'll screw up the shiv makers monopoly !! :D

seriously though no death penalty will not stop them from killing they will just do it in prison...so we might as well let them....one person in prison at a time will certainly save money

An exception I support is the death penalty for a prisoner who kills a correction officer inside prison. I mean, if someone can't even be imprisoned safely, they need to be offed. We don't have to subject ourselves to unstoppable killers.

it used to be the other way back a few years. a life sentence was at one time a life sentence. it still is depending on where you are. i believe down south, LA i think, where life is life. but now days, with all the scum coming out of the woodwork... i say lower the standard to include less serious offenses. rapist and child molesters, imo, would be in line for the DS. but on the other hand, i think before that sentence i passed on them, it needs to be a rock solid case. none of this "well i jsut fondled..." bullshit, you molested that child, heres your needle.
and while im ranting, make the judicial system even across the board. just becasue someone in a position of power (ie actor, political, rich, you get the picture) doesnt mean the charges should be less or more, depending on which side of the bench they are on.

Bonnie said:
Agreed on all counts Dillo, especially now with advances in DNA evidence. Would you say there might be any exceptions though?
So, you are agreeing with dillo & Kathianne against the death penalty?

Joz said:
So, you are agreeing with dillo & Kathianne against the death penalty?

I have always been conflicted about this, on the one hand if something terrible happened to someone in my family or someone I knew I would most certainly be for the death penalty,( which is only human), on the other hand I struggle with the notion that there have been some innocent people executed, and that is a horrible thought.

Bonnie said:
I have always been conflicted about this, on the one hand if something terrible happened to someone in my family or someone I knew I would most certainly be for the death penalty,( which is only human), on the other hand I struggle with the notion that there have been some innocent people executed, and that is a horrible thought.

Life without parole is pretty nasty--and we could make it worse than it is. I don't see the death penalty deterring anything.

dilloduck said:
.......... I don't see the death penalty deterring anything.
How do we know? I don't think the death penalty has been given a chance to deter. When a man is sentenced in 2005 and put int he ground in 2005 THEN we will be able to see whether the death penalty is a deterent.

Forum List

Back