Death Penalty--pros and cons

Joz said:
How do we know? I don't think the death penalty has been given a chance to deter. When a man is sentenced in 2005 and put int he ground in 2005 THEN we will be able to see whether the death penalty is a deterent.

Eye for an eye is Old testament punishment the Jesus spoke out against in his teachings .

dilloduck said:
Eye for an eye is Old testament punishment the Jesus spoke out against in his teachings .
No. that's not what I'm saying. An eye for an eye is you slap me so I'll slap you back. And I'm not saying that this could get out of hand and cause real harm.

But certain crimes should not go unpunished. Pre-meditated murder, serial murdering, child rape, there's no cause for these people to draw air. I think they should be given time to get their lives/affairs in order and be done with it.
If you knew that you were going to die as a reult of your actions, you might just give pause. If not, then you have no right to life.

Even witnessess to a crime wouldn't be enough for me to send a man to death. Eye-witness testimony is nearly worthless, imo.

DNA...admission of guilt...those types of things would convince me to 'flip the switch'.

Joz said:
No. that's not what I'm saying. An eye for an eye is you slap me so I'll slap you back. And I'm not saying that this could get out of hand and cause real harm.

But certain crimes should not go unpunished. Pre-meditated murder, serial murdering, child rape, there's no cause for these people to draw air. I think they should be given time to get their lives/affairs in order and be done with it.
If you knew that you were going to die as a reult of your actions, you might just give pause. If not, then you have no right to life.

I'm just for making prisons more prison-like and making em suffer there. Oh hell--have em break rocks or something.

dilloduck said:
I'm just for making prisons more prison-like and making em suffer there. Oh hell--have em break rocks or something.
That's why I say prisons should be self supporting. They should have to work for their food, clothing, heat, air, TV,education.
So many of us struggle to make ends meet. I'm not talking about both parents working to afford a vacation or a new SUV. I'm talking about feeding, clothing, & housing their family. Good honest people. And here we have some criminal that gets "3 hots & a cot" every single day.

Joz said:
That's why I say prisons should be self supporting. They should have to work for their food, clothing, heat, air, TV,education.
So many of us struggle to make ends meet. I'm not talking about both parents working to afford a vacation or a new SUV. I'm talking about feeding, clothing, & housing their family. Good honest people. And here we have some criminal that gets "3 hots & a cot" every single day.
agreed--prisons are TOO DAMN CUSHY !!!

dilloduck said:

Or at least have them work to offset their room and board. Plus how about teaching them religion for rehabilitation purposes? Or do you think libs would consider that to be extreme punishment? I'm sure the ACLU would not want God anywhere in the state prisons. :rolleyes:

ScreamingEagle said:
Or at least have them work to offset their room and board. Plus how about teaching them religion for rehabilitation purposes? Or do you think libs would consider that to be extreme punishment? I'm sure the ACLU would not want God anywhere in the state prisons. :rolleyes:

The only thing the ACLU is concerned with is making sure prison food is up to snuff, they have acess to computers so they can write books and get married, and art supplies.

Bonnie said:
The only thing the ACLU is concerned with is making sure prison food is up to snuff, they have acess to computers so they can write books and get married, and art supplies.

and get degrees !

Bonnie said:
Yes degrees to become legal advocates for other inmates, to have better food, art supplies, computers, and conjugal visits :rolleyes:

now conjugal visits just crack me up !!----What kind of crap is that anyway?? :baby4:

dilloduck said:
now conjugal visits just crack me up !!----What kind of crap is that anyway?? :baby4:

There are prisons that allow some inmates weekend visits in special little unsupervised "love shacks"

Incredible!!

Bonnie said:
There are prisons that allow some inmates weekend visits in special little unsupervised "love shacks"

Incredible!!

Like I said--cracks me up --------no sex is cruel and unusual ???

:D Perhaps it helps keep the prisoners under control

Fewer sodomy related injuries

Joz said:
How do we know? I don't think the death penalty has been given a chance to deter. When a man is sentenced in 2005 and put int he ground in 2005 THEN we will be able to see whether the death penalty is a deterent.

The reason it takes so long is that capital offenses carry and automatic appeal. The thing can get tied up in court for decades.

Like I said--cracks me up --------no sex is cruel and unusual ???

only in Nevada

deaddude said:
:D Perhaps it helps keep the prisoners under control

Fewer sodomy related injuries

Maybe a little hard labor would work as well, then they would be too tired for sodomy... :coffee3:

You want less crime?
Secure the borders!

You want less crime?
Enact the fair tax to help create jobs!

You want less crime?
Privatize the schools and go to a voucher system!

You want less crime?
Move to private retirement accounts and if someone screws up-SEIZE THE FUNDS FROM THE ACCOUNT (nothing could be worse than knowing that you could be living down by the beach in florida having pina coladas playing shuffle board but you screwed up and are now attempting to fight off the sodomites on a daily basis!).

Keep criminals from entering our country,create jobs,put more money in peoples pockets,better education and a brighter future!

That is how we should be lowering the crime rate!

cptpwichita said:
You want less crime?
Secure the borders!

You want less crime?
Enact the fair tax to help create jobs!

You want less crime?
Privatize the schools and go to a voucher system!

You want less crime?
Move to private retirement accounts and if someone screws up-SEIZE THE FUNDS FROM THE ACCOUNT (nothing could be worse than knowing that you could be living down by the beach in florida having pina coladas playing shuffle board but you screwed up and are now attempting to fight off the sodomites on a daily basis!).

Keep criminals from entering our country,create jobs,put more money in peoples pockets,better education and a brighter future!

That is how we should be lowering the crime rate!

Agree with all but #2!

dilloduck said:
I used to be for the death penalty but have changes my mind. Life in prison
1--asssures they will not do it again
2-- costs less in many cases
3--allows for release in case new evidence arises to aquit them

My only problem with life in prison is they have made the thing too damn cushy---give em bread and water and make em stay in the damn cell the whole time.

I believe in capital punishment. I do NOT agree with the way our courts implement it.

IMO, there should be incontrovertable evidence, leaving NO doubt in anyone's mind as to the guilt of the individual. Sentencing a person to death on circumstantial evidence means there is a chance, no matter how remote, that he/she did not commit the crime.

Kind of hard to undo death later if evidence proves them innocent of the crime.

Forum List

Back