Death Panels..Canadian Style

This is what a death panel in action looks like. Worth the read. Link provided.

If she lived in either Saskatchewan, Manitoba or British Columbia she would have access to this medication.

OHIP doesn't cover drug that could extend dying mom's life

TORONTO - Tell me how you do it.

How do you tell two children, ages seven and nine, that their mom has only two months to live?

How do you tell those children there could be an empty seat at the table this Christmas?

Then how do you tell those children that there’s a drug that could give their mom another 18 months of life — but the government has turned her down for coverage for that drug?

OHIP doesn't cover drug that could extend dying mom's life | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun

OHIP doesn't cover ANY drugs unless they're administered in hospital. This is why Canadians purchase supplemental insurance - to cover those things OHIP doesn't cover.

There is nothing to prevent this family from purchasing the drug themselves. The cost is $4,000 per month. I guess from your post, you're going to donate to this woman's website.

OHIP does cover drugs outside of the hospital.

I believe it runs for at least 6 months after being released from the hospital under a policy called Compassionate drug policy. Not sure if applicable in this woman's case. We can squabble one day about Harris vs McGuinty on health care one day.

But you are clouding the greater issue of people believing they are paying into a government run medical insurance policy and finding out that in a heartbeat the government top heavy with highly paid bureaucrats will fuck them over.

And don't try to pretty up our system to the posters on the board. We have major failures in all our provincial plans.

I saw a very nice poster, I think she had a handle FJO who was thrilled with Manitoba coverage. Made this really nice post. Happy to be alive out here. YAY! Another refugee from Ontario.

Lord almighty though, she must be up close to Winnipeg or in Winnipeg and doesn't know that the bloody provincial NDP government shut down the only health center south of Steinbach for over a year with only a clinic available.

Obviously she doesn't know about our plight and fight from the south east of the province.

Hell's bells I was closer to my funeral home in Vita (half and hour away and glad I know the family) than an emergency room up in Steinbach. An hour away with an ambulance driving like it's in the Grand Prix and strapped into the back praying you don't hit a deer.

BUT it still beats OHIP.

It's a sad day on the planet when I'd rather trust a private insurance company than a government run health plan but that's where we are today.

Tommy Douglas is rolling in his grave that the Canadian government would pay for a lesbian haunted house in Toronto rather than for medication to help a woman live longer.

(For those that are unaware the taxpayers paid for a Lesbian Haunted House in TO complete with scary replicas of male genitalia. Not kidding)

I'm personally saving for my life exit strategy. It involves a cabana in the Keys, jaked margaritas, in an ocean breeze :eusa_angel:

I intend to leave this planet in style and who needs morphine when tequila is available. :lol:

Oh and btw donation was sent before I started street fighting in this thread. I had read about her plight in the Sun.

I certainly hope if I were unconscious for 3 years that someone would pull the plug.
I guess you never read stories where people have awoken from these conditions even after a long period of time right, and (imho) it should never be about money, but rather that the patient is still living with brain activity that suggest a possible come back according to professionals in the field in which their dealing with.

They may could move the patient to an area that is set up to allow these patients to be monitored and/or to pass away in a dignified way after all hope has been exhausted in such cases, and where as it leaves everyone knowing that they had done all that they could afterwards when the person finally goes. I mean it's not like these people are ending up in this specific condition by the thousands in these hospitals, so why the hurry up and be done with them that is found to be the issue that is going on with them in these cases ? Has anyone done the stats on how many of these kinds of patients are in hospitals right now, and do they constitute these kinds of actions by their numbers, in which people suggest like noomi that the health care industry will collapse under the weight of it all, otherwise if giving them even one more day maybe to see if it works out somehow to their benefit by those days given to them ?

It needs to be said here that situations such as the young mother seeking the cancer drug, and those seeking out of province treatment, and the man in the original post are rare cases - the exception rather than the rule. Such cases are so exceptional that they are headlines on the nightly news.

In the US, people being denied treatment by their insurance companies for new drugs, being cut off of treatment because they've reached their cap, and going bankrupt because of the costs of medical care are so common, they aren't even remarked upon as unusual.

It needs to be said here that situations such as the young mother seeking the cancer drug, and those seeking out of province treatment, and the man in the original post are rare cases - the exception rather than the rule. Such cases are so exceptional that they are headlines on the nightly news.

In the US, people being denied treatment by their insurance companies for new drugs, being cut off of treatment because they've reached their cap, and going bankrupt because of the costs of medical care are so common, they aren't even remarked upon as unusual.

It would seem that with private insurance you would have recourse, with government, not sooo much.

Tommy Douglas the grandfather of socialized medicine in Canada only wanted catastrophic health care for farmers who were devastated by disease or injury and couldn't bring in the crops.

Well, well, well, decades later after politicians, bean counters and bureaucrats got hold of his idea we are now at the point of being raped by taxes and levies all in the name of healthcare.

A monolith of bureaucracy hurtling to a duplicate of the NHS (but over my dead body and other conservatives who will not allow it to happen)

Tommy Douglas the grandfather of socialized medicine in Canada only wanted catastrophic health care for farmers who were devastated by disease or injury and couldn't bring in the crops.

Well, well, well, decades later after politicians, bean counters and bureaucrats got hold of his idea we are now at the point of being raped by taxes and levies all in the name of healthcare.

A monolith of bureaucracy hurtling to a duplicate of the NHS (but over my dead body and other conservatives who will not allow it to happen)
And the sad part of it all? NONE of what's going on has to do with 'healthcare'...only control.

And the sad part of it all? NONE of what's going on has to do with 'healthcare'...only control.

All one has to do is look at Britain's NHS and go " Oh no there goes Tokyo here comes Godzilla".

A behemoth of bureaucracy that makes one want to bazooka barf.

If she lived in either Saskatchewan, Manitoba or British Columbia she would have access to this medication.

How do you tell two children, ages seven and nine, that their mom has only two months to live?

How do you tell those children there could be an empty seat at the table this Christmas?

Then how do you tell those children that there’s a drug that could give their mom another 18 months of life — but the government has turned her down for coverage for that drug?

OHIP doesn't cover drug that could extend dying mom's life | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun

It is sad, but you need to understand that us taxpayers cannot save everyone. We can't fund a drug which few people will ever need, just to prolong the life of someone who will die anyway.

These drugs are expensive, and they cost tens of thousands - how much should the government be expected to fund? We can't save everyone. Its sad, but that is life.
The drug might give her another 18 months, but it may not. Without it, she supposedly has 2 months to live, but she could live for another 18 months, we just don't know.

Last edited:

This is utter bullshit from top to bottom.

Douglas established the continent's first single payer health care system which covered hospital care for most of the population of the Province of Saskatchewan. He wanted universal coverage, but the province couldn't afford it in 1946.

Tommy Douglas left provincal politics to head the newly formed New Democratic Party. The NDP favours social democracy and is supported by unions, and working people. It has never formed a government in Canada, although it is currently the official opposition, and has formed governments in a number of provinces, including Ontario.

Tiny Dancer is a font of misinformation on Canadian Health Care and taxation. 80% of Canadians are very satisfied with our health care system according to a survey conducted by MacLeans magazine. Our per capita costs are nearly half of what Americans pay, and our life expectancy is longer than the US. Our taxes are higher than those paid by Americans, but when you factor the cost of health insurance in the US, Canadians come out ahead, because our health care is covered by our taxes.

Last edited:

It is sad, but you need to understand that us taxpayers cannot save everyone. We can't fund a drug which few people will ever need, just to prolong the life of someone who will die anyway.

These drugs are expensive, and they cost tens of thousands - how much should the government be expected to fund? We can't save everyone. Its sad, but that is life.The drug might give her another 18 months, but it may not. Without it, she supposedly has 2 months to live, but she could live for another 18 months, we just don't know.

How much should the insurance companies be expected to fund? They can't save everyone. It's sad, but that is life.

Yet when it's the insurance companies that give that line of bullshit, it's used as a reason to turn control of healthcare over to the government so that these kinds of things don't happen. So what's changed other than substituting tax payer for insurance company? What's better? 'We have to save the sick people from the evil insurance companies!!' and other lies are used to convince stupid people to turn their liberty over to the government. Your 'argument' completely deconstructs the reasons that were given to have government controled healthcare in the first place, and sadly most just like you, are too stupid to even realize it.

These drugs are expensive, and they cost tens of thousands - how much should the government be expected to fund? We can't save everyone. Its sad, but that is life.The drug might give her another 18 months, but it may not. Without it, she supposedly has 2 months to live, but she could live for another 18 months, we just don't know.

How much should the insurance companies be expected to fund? They can't save everyone. It's sad, but that is life.

Yet when it's the insurance companies that give that line of bullshit, it's used as a reason to turn control of healthcare over to the government so that these kinds of things don't happen. So what's changed other than substituting tax payer for insurance company? What's better? 'We have to save the sick people from the evil insurance companies!!' and other lies are used to convince stupid people to turn their liberty over to the government. Your 'argument' completely deconstructs the reasons that were given to have government controled healthcare in the first place, and sadly most just like you, are too stupid to even realize it.

When private insurances does it, why don't cons call it death panels?

So you support it as long as the government is the one saying 'no' to treatment? You support Noomi's comment?

Because they are other options. Other companies competing.

Now that we have Fascist Care - there is one option - and only one.

Other options?
Well, yes, if you have so much money you don't know what to do with it.

But for us regular folks, it isn't an option to suddenly switch insurance, especially when the illness is demanding life or death decisions and/ or the insurance is tied to employment.

Other options?

A year ago, if the Kaiser plan you had didn't meet your needs, you could switch to Health First or Aetna and negotiate a plan to your liking.

Now you take what Dear Leader orders you to take.

Options, vs. no option.

But for us regular folks, it isn't an option to suddenly switch insurance, especially when the illness is demanding life or death decisions and/ or the insurance is tied to employment.

Now insurance is tied to the IRS with basically a single level of service determined by bureaucrats - and you say it's BETTER?

Be serious....

Other options?

A year ago, if the Kaiser plan you had didn't meet your needs, you could switch to Health First or Aetna and negotiate a plan to your liking.

Now you take what Dear Leader orders you to take.

Options, vs. no option.

Now insurance is tied to the IRS with basically a single level of service determined by bureaucrats - and you say it's BETTER?

Be serious....

You can switch insurance during open enrollment which happens once a year.

If your health care is tied to employment, then you may be restricted further.

If you have a pre existing condition (and one might think this could be the case since current insurance isn't meeting the need) then good luck getting any other policy.

Ah, by the way..... The ACA does not offer a single level of service. They offer at least three levels in my state with various insurers offered for each level.

I have more choices should I sign up for the ACA than I currently have with my employer provided insurance.

Just to be clear, I don't think the ACA is perfect but it is a step in the right direction.

Ah, by the way..... The ACA does not offer a single level of service. They offer at least three levels in my state with various insurers offered for each level.

I have more choices should I sign up for the ACA than I currently have with my employer provided insurance.

So, we went from limitless possibilities to 3, but that is somehow more choice?

You wouldn't piss on my head and tell me it's raining, would you?

payn_c11335920131104120100.jpg

Forum List

Back