Death of a culture

Now that the tribes in the US are making their own source of revenue, they have started schools on the nations to teach old ways...
Its the way forward.

Can I ask when the best time is for Tepee living ?
Usually never, unless you like bugs and snakes living with and on you...usually the fall and spring is the best...

Now that the tribes in the US are making their own source of revenue, they have started schools on the nations to teach old ways...
Its the way forward.

Can I ask when the best time is for Tepee living ?
Depends on how comfortable you want to be plus teepees are primarily a plains tribes shelter but they also constructed grass houses. Most eastern woodland tribes lived in "wigwams", southeast it was primarily asis and chickees, in the southwest it was mostly adobe, in the northwest they constructed plank houses (longhouses).

I want something that my woman can roll up and carry to the next watering hole. - Whilst I ride ahead looking for buffalo and antelope.

Native American Languages

Most Native American languages have ceased to exist, or are spoken only by older speakers, with whom the language will die in the coming decades.

This seems to me to be an American tragedy.

6 Last Living Speakers of Dying Languages

Imagine being the last one standing. Is this a big issue in the States ?
What would be the remedy; issues are issues because there is a resolution - here there is none.
Surely the resolution is to try methods that have worked elsewhere in the world.

I want something that my woman can roll up and carry to the next watering hole. - Whilst I ride ahead looking for buffalo and antelope.
The whole tribe would participate in the hunt, the men would kill what buffalo they needed then the women and children would skin and butcher the animal. As for the teepee the tribes' women owned their teepees, their husbands were allowed by the women to live with them....... :eusa_whistle:

The whole tribe would participate in the hunt, the men would kill what buffalo they needed then the women and children would skin and butcher the animal. As for the teepee the tribes' women owned their teepees, their husbands were allowed by the women to live with them....... :eusa_whistle:
That isnt a huge leap from my domestic situation. I am here on sufferance,so I am told.

The village drowned to give another nation water
This is an example of how a colonial power undermines a culture,and a language.The drowning of the valley caused a huge stink at the time and my Dad went on many protests.

Looking at it from a distance I dont think the reasoning was to destroy Welsh culture. I think that was a by product of their need for water.
It took an act of parliament to authorise this crime. Every Welsh MP voted against it and yet it went through on the votes of the English. They could do it tomorrow if they wanted to.

Most Native American languages have ceased to exist, or are spoken only by older speakers, with whom the language will die in the coming decades.

It's no one's fault but their own
Maybe the population being decimated had something to do with it ?

No that's not it.

The people decided not to keep their traditions alive.

No that's not it.

No, that isnt the case.

From the OP.
5. Verdena Parker
Language: Hupa

The Hupa people of northern California, like most Native American tribes, were subjected to a process of forced assimilation and English-only education. Ms. Parker avoided boarding school, being raised by her grandmother to speak Hupa. Nowadays she works with Stanford and Berkeley scholars to document the language, while also revitalizing it through an immersion program for high-schoolers that seems to have met with some degree of enthusiasm.

Forced assimilation would have a lot to do with it.

No that's not it.

No, that isnt the case.

From the OP.
5. Verdena Parker

The Hupa people of northern California, like most Native American tribes, were subjected to a process of forced assimilation and English-only education. Ms. Parker avoided boarding school, being raised by her grandmother to speak Hupa. Nowadays she works with Stanford and Berkeley scholars to document the language, while also revitalizing it through an immersion program for high-schoolers that seems to have met with some degree of enthusiasm.

So those people were prevented from speaking their native language at home?
They were prevented from teaching their children their native language outside of the school system?

No they weren't

No that's not it.

No, that isnt the case.

From the OP.
5. Verdena Parker

They were prevented from teaching their children their native language outside of the school system?

No they weren't
You miss the point.If the only way to get on is to speak the dominant language then that is what you do. It doesnt happen overnight, it takes years to get there. There are links on here showing how smaller communities are trying to reclaim their language. Language is the basis of your culture.

No that's not it.

No, that isnt the case.

From the OP.
5. Verdena Parker

No they weren't
You miss the point.If the only way to get on is to speak the dominant language then that is what you do. It doesnt happen overnight, it takes years to get there. There are links on here showing how smaller communities are trying to reclaim their language. Language is the basis of your culture.

Like I said they let their traditions go no one took them away

No that's not it.

No, that isnt the case.

From the OP.
5. Verdena Parker

No they weren't

Saying it is one thing. Backing it up is another.

No that's not it.

No, that isnt the case.

From the OP.
5. Verdena Parker

No they weren't

Their choice not my problem

No, that isnt the case.

From the OP.
5. Verdena Parker

No they weren't

Their choice not my problem
Thank you for your contribution to the discussion.

Forum List

Back