Death of a culture

Native American Languages

Most Native American languages have ceased to exist, or are spoken only by older speakers, with whom the language will die in the coming decades.

This seems to me to be an American tragedy.

6 Last Living Speakers of Dying Languages

Imagine being the last one standing. Is this a big issue in the States ?
How many people speak Latin these days?
Partibus quaestio quod est, "quis speaks Latin hac," itaque Ego responsum, "Ego operor". Bene dicere autem non

Last edited:

Most Native American languages have ceased to exist, or are spoken only by older speakers, with whom the language will die in the coming decades.

Well if the kids were not so lazy, maybe they would learn and up hold their languages.
Do you still speak the native tongue of your forefathers?

Jeg snakker tungen av mine forfedre, men ikke så godt som jeg ønsker and Je parle la langue de mes ancêtres, mais pas aussi bien que je le voudrais. My wife speaks several languages.

The younger generations don't care about their culture, their history or their language. If they don't care about it enough to keep it going then I am not going to devote any time to it.

The younger generations don't care about their culture, their history or their language. ....

How do you know?

The younger generations don't care about their culture, their history or their language. ....

How do you know?

It isn't getting passed down, let me know another reason.

Well if the kids were not so lazy, maybe they would learn and up hold their languages.
Do you still speak the native tongue of your forefathers?

Silly far left drone!

How do you know?

It isn't getting passed down, .....

Recently, it is.

How do you know?

It isn't getting passed down, .....

Recently, it is.

So the person that started the thread has no clue as to anything. Ok.

This is from 2012 when my tribe started addressing the issue. You'll note that there are still thousands of speakers left, mainly in Canada. There is a resurgence among many tribes to recapture their language and culture.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...ortance-ojibwe-language-revitalization-115692
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...ortance-ojibwe-language-revitalization-115692
Of course it didn't help that there was a concerted effort to first commit genocide against native Americans then to erase their culture/language by enforced assimilation of their children in the early 1900s.

This is from 2012 when my tribe started addressing the issue. You'll note that there are still thousands of speakers left, mainly in Canada. There is a resurgence among many tribes to recapture their language and culture.

The Importance of Ojibwe Language Revitalization
Of course it didn't help that there was a concerted effort to first commit genocide against native Americans then to erase their culture/language by enforced assimilation of their children in the early 1900s.

Let's hope they do. They have their owns schools, they should teach their language.

I live next and used to live in Okiehoma..The tribes do carry on their traditions and languages...You just don't want to live in a tepee in the middle of the summer...

White devils claim that it was the Indians which were the savages...At least we knew how to live...
thankful-being-saved-sad-negative-pain-native-american-proverb-VucrEh-quote.jpg

White devils claim that it was the Indians which were the savages...At least we knew how to live...
Are you Anishinaabeg?

Are you Anishinaabeg?
Naah, just the jerk tribe....Well ...and Cherokee...But the neat thing about Okiehoma is all the many tribes which live there..and all the wild Indian gals that like to par-tay.

Thats inspiring stuff.This passage caught my eye.

"The Maori of New Zealand went from 7 percent fluency to 100 percent for all students in their school system and made Maoritanga one of the country's official languages. Native Hawaiians went from 500 speakers to 15,000. Hawaiian is also an official language in Hawaii along with English. Both groups have not only enjoyed language revitalization of their traditional languages and cultures but also a major boost to community cohesion, pride and solidarity. They've also seen the first major declines in gang activity and drug and alcohol abuse in their histories.

Read more atThe Importance of Ojibwe Language Revitalization

The bit about signage is also important. All government signage should be bi-lingual and I would say that anybody working in those communities should have an understanding of the language.

Forum List

Back