Dead Dino Update: Massive find in shallow Gulf Waters

The discovery was made at the Davy Jones ultra-deep prospect located on South Marsh Island Block 230 in about 20 feet of water and 10 miles off the Louisiana coast...

Now that I know the location...it is MINE!!! ALL MINE!!!

Snidely%2BWhiplash.png

We have massive shale reserves, here is another huge find and we sit here debating why we are in Iraq, Afghanistan, and the ME and worried about Iran, yet we do not want to drill here? You can't have it both way folks, wake up, your costing us lives and our livelihood. There is no perfect solution, if you want to keep funding the enemy, keep your heads in the sand, pun intended....

What abysmal idiocy. Of cou8rse big oil would love to drill. Exxon etc now buy more oil than they produce if you think they woudn't love to turn that statistic around you ar either crazy or stupid or some combination of the two.

they have investments in the way they are doing business now and are making good profits, why would they want to obtain cheaper oil closer to home? That will not raise the price of oil.

alaska and big oil (Exxon I think) were iin a legal battle last year in Alaska. Alaska was wanting oil drilled and exxon had been sitting on the leases for something like 20 years. Alaska wanted to give the leases to someone who would drill and exxon sued.

Last edited:
What abysmal idiocy. Of cou8rse big oil would love to drill. Exxon etc now buy more oil than they produce if you think they woudn't love to turn that statistic around you ar either crazy or stupid or some combination of the two.

they have investments in the way they are doing business now and are making good profits, why would they want to obtain cheaper oil closer to home? That will not raise the price of oil.

alaska and big oil (Exxon I think) were iin a legal battle last year in Alaska. Alaska was wanting oil drilled and exxon had been sitting on the leases for something like 20 years. Alaska wanted to give the leases to someone who would drill and exxon sued.

The oil close to home is NOT cheaper.......that is why we get it from places where it is. On the fruit tree of oil, the Middle East is the easy to reach, low hanging fruit. If it were economical to drill here, we would be. Contrary to what talk radio hosts would have you believe, there is no ban on drilling in the US. In national parks and reserves and in some coastal areas, yes, but I drive past two working drilling rigs in Oklahoma City every day.

I realize many of you still labor under the delusion that "Fossil fuels" come from long dead dinosaurs, so first let's have a moment of silence for the billions of velicoraptors who died on that spot oh so long ago, then you can post how:

1. The find won't make a difference

2. The Find will melt the ice caps both on Earth and Mars and

3. It's ok if the Chinese drill here

Firms announce big oil find beneath shallow Gulf waters
By BRETT CLANTON HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Jan. 11, 2010, 12:50PM

McMoRan Exploration Co. today announced what it said could be one of the largest oil and natural gas discoveries in the shallow waters of the Gulf of Mexico in decades.

The discovery was made at the Davy Jones ultra-deep prospect located on South Marsh Island Block 230 in about 20 feet of water and 10 miles off the Louisiana coast, the New Orleans company and Energy XXI, one of its Houston partners in the project, said in statements this morning."

Firms announce big oil find in shallow Gulf | Energy | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Let's let them drill, put a big Sarah Palin style windfall profits tax on it, and then every American can get a big government check from it. Right around Christmas would be nice.

Bullshit. The money goes to the residents of Florida and Louisiana.

Get your own oil deposit. LOL

I realize many of you still labor under the delusion that "Fossil fuels" come from long dead dinosaurs, so first let's have a moment of silence for the billions of velicoraptors who died on that spot oh so long ago, then you can post how:

1. The find won't make a difference

2. The Find will melt the ice caps both on Earth and Mars and

3. It's ok if the Chinese drill here

Firms announce big oil find beneath shallow Gulf waters
By BRETT CLANTON HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Jan. 11, 2010, 12:50PM

McMoRan Exploration Co. today announced what it said could be one of the largest oil and natural gas discoveries in the shallow waters of the Gulf of Mexico in decades.

The discovery was made at the Davy Jones ultra-deep prospect located on South Marsh Island Block 230 in about 20 feet of water and 10 miles off the Louisiana coast, the New Orleans company and Energy XXI, one of its Houston partners in the project, said in statements this morning."

Firms announce big oil find in shallow Gulf | Energy | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Louisianians won't care about drilling off their coast. Now if the find had been off Palm Beach, Florida.....

Um, wasn't there one? Didn't Governor Jeb Bush nix drilling there?

Yes he did.

I think Jeb Bush was a very good Gov here in Florida but he was off base on this issue. Not sure if it was environmental issues or what.

Louisianians won't care about drilling off their coast. Now if the find had been off Palm Beach, Florida.....

Yes he did.

I think Jeb Bush was a very good Gov here in Florida but he was off base on this issue. Not sure if it was environmental issues or what.

We're capitalist! Screw the environment if there is money to be made! ;)

I've heard that if you chop off a chicken's head, it will run around in circles. Hence, the phrase, "Running around in circles like a chicken with it's head cut off".

Reminds me of Republicans.

These people go on endlessly about "capitalism" and the "free market" and, in the very same sentence, will say Democrats want to stop drilling for "American oil" that will bring the cost of oil down "in America".

I seriously believe these people live in the "land of milk and cookies". A place untouched by reality.

Let me explain how it works.

Land is "leased" by oil companies from the government. If oil is discovered, it belongs to the oil companies. They take that oil and in a very, "free market" way, in a "capitalistic" style, they offer that oil to the world market where EVERYONE gets to bid on it. EVERYONE meaning China, India, Japan.....

Now if there is a "glut" and oil prices fall, they withhold that oil until the price go back up. That's capitalism. That's "supply and demand".

Can some Republican, somewhere, explain to me how finding oil "offshore" will bring down prices in this country? Please, explain that to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard that if you chop off a chicken's head, it will run around in circles. Hence, the phrase, "Running around in circles like a chicken with it's head cut off".

These people go on endlessly about "capitalism" and the "free market" and, in the very same sentence, will say Democrats want to stop drilling for "American oil" that will bring the cost of oil down "in America".

I seriously believe these people live in the "land of milk and cookies". A place untouched by reality.

Land is "leased" by oil companies from the government. If oil is discovered, it belongs to the oil companies. They take that oil and in a very, "free market" way, in a "capitalistic" style, they offer that oil to the world market where EVERYONE gets to bid on it. EVERYONE meaning China, India, Japan.....

Now if there is a "glut" and oil prices fall, they withhold that oil until the price go back up. That's capitalism. That's "supply and demand".

Can some Republican, somewhere, explain to me how finding oil "offshore" will bring down prices in this country? Please, explain that to me.

Minus the actual facts, "Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less" makes a great campaign year bumper sticker and talk radio talking point.

Minus the actual facts, "Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less" makes a great campaign year bumper sticker and talk radio talking point.

It makes a great talking point until the facts are "explored". Then, as usual, Republicans say, "We don't want liberal BS". Code for "I have an index finger in each ear and I'm singing LA LA LA LA".

Why do Republicans refuse to face reality? And it's not just because "facts" have a liberal bias, they would rather believe the worst lie posible than accept the truth, which is usually far less "frightening".

Yes. We have oil off the coast of Florida but they won't drill for it. The Chinese are slant drilling for it now. This deposit runs from Latin America, the Caribbean and the Gulf coast of Florida. The depost is estimated to be between from 4.6 to 9.3 billion gallons. This compares to the 4-10 billioin estimated to be in the ANWAR.

Our leaders are morons.

Morons

Wait a minute....I thought it was only California that refuses to drill.

NOpe FL and the east coast as well.

big oil does not want to drill there though, just get leases locked up.

Care to elaborate on that?

It makes a great talking point until the facts are "explored". Then, as usual, Republicans say, "We don't want liberal BS". Code for "I have an index finger in each ear and I'm singing LA LA LA LA".

Why do Republicans refuse to face reality? And it's not just because "facts" have a liberal bias, they would rather believe the worst lie posible than accept the truth, which is usually far less "frightening".

You 2 idiots should start a cable show and call it "2 idiots discussing basic economics"

"yes, oil is the one commodity impervious to the laws of supply and demand...."

Last edited:
The main reason it is cheaper to import usually (and it isn't at 150 a barrel) is because currently the first thing you have to hire to drill an oil well is four lawyers six environmental scientist and then if your lucky ten years from now you might get to put an actual hole in the ground.

Yes he did.

I think it was economical. International and northern tourists don't want to see oil rigs when they run to Clearwater or Daytona Beach. Nor do they want to compete with the kind of tar balls you see sometimes along the coasts of Louisiana and Texas. That could potentially cause more economic harm than any kind of benefit you can get from the oil rigs.

BTW, aside from that issue, Bush did a number on public education and was an all-around ass, possibly worse than his older brother.

The dinosaurs released copious quantities of methane which led to global warming, the resultant flash flood killed all the dinosaurs who then turned into oil.

The main reason it is cheaper to import usually (and it isn't at 150 a barrel) is because currently the first thing you have to hire to drill an oil well is four lawyers six environmental scientist and then if your lucky ten years from now you might get to put an actual hole in the ground.

Yeahhhhh, I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that. I've lived in Oklahoma for 52 years and I've seen my share of working rigs. If it paid to do so, you'd see rigs drilling anywhere and everywhere they had a lease. I used to travel the state back in the mid 80's while an oil boom was going on in Oklahoma and you had to make motel/hotel reservations at least 6 weeks in advance in any town in western Oklahoma to get a room because of how much drilling activity was going on. There is still oil in Oklahoma, it just isn't as economical anymore to drill it here as it is to import it.

Do you have to cross your T's and dot your I's legally and drill in an environmentally friendly way? Of course you do. Always have. That is a minor inconvenience when it makes dollar sense to drill domestically.

.....<SNIP>...AND

4. We don't need no stinking jobs

5. We don't want no dirty energy

Follow that up with this - it's hard to imagine this can be scuttled; it has a life of its own:
""Shale &#8212; It's the new American gold rush of the 21st century!

In this jobless recovery, it's generating jobs like crazy, and in some of America's most depressed steel-belt wastelands. The key to the bonanza has been the development of a new technology for liquefied natural gas exploration called hydraulic fracturing.

Now, these "shales" of gas have been identified in multiple states across the country: N.Y., Pa., W. Va, Texas, Ark., La.
A Penn State Univ report, issued this past July, finds that in 2008 alone, the Marcellus Shale industry generated $2.3 billion for Pa -- including more than 29,000 jobs and $240 million in state and local taxes.""

Go here to watch an interesting video - This is current Learn more about shale below and watch James Rosen's video report .

Last edited:
The very first thing President Palin and the Conservative Congress will do is to lower the price of energy by opening ANWR, drill in the Gulf, refine shale oil, fast track 100 nuclear reactors.

Forum List

Back