Dead Dino Update: Massive find in shallow Gulf Waters

The very first thing President Palin and the Conservative Congress will do is to lower the price of energy by opening ANWR, drill in the Gulf, refine shale oil, fast track 100 nuclear reactors.
If that were the case Bush could've done it. Never forget the rules of the Senate, cloture and witholding appointment approvals can stop about anything, because a senate wanting to get anything else done can become hamstrung by those and other impediments. Right now the Senate has all the power they need except, we can only hope, nerve.

The very first thing President Palin and the Conservative Congress will do is to lower the price of energy by opening ANWR, drill in the Gulf, refine shale oil, fast track 100 nuclear reactors.

First, Palin will never be elected President. Second, opening ANWR and drilling the gulf will not reduce the price of energy. The same companies that produce energy in the ME are the same companies that would produce it here and it all goes on the world market. They will adjust production to keep the price where it is. Third, nuclear is absolutely the way to go for electrical power generation.

First, Palin will never be elected President. Second, opening ANWR and drilling the gulf will not reduce the price of energy. The same companies that produce energy in the ME are the same companies that would produce it here and it all goes on the world market. They will adjust production to keep the price where it is. Third, nuclear is absolutely the way to go for electrical power generation.
You ignore the influence of speculation on world prices, world prices which hinge to a large proportion on the US in all its influences. The mere reality of our coming to our senses and doing something of substance in energy rather than tilting at windmills would remove much of the effects of speculation from world market prices. You usually have to be a liberal to not take incentives into account.

Announcing a new nuclear (approval easing) energy policy would have a corresponding influence, so that is not to be discounted incentive wise.

Last edited:

You ignore the influence of speculation on world prices, world prices which hinge to a large proportion on the US in all its influences. The mere reality of our coming to our senses and doing something of substance in energy rather than tilting at windmills would remove much of the effects of speculation from world market prices. You usually have to be a liberal to not take incentives into account.

Announcing a new nuclear (approval easing) energy policy would have a corresponding influence, so that is not to be discounted incentive wise.

Funny thing about liberals is they are the ones who will be building all the nuclear power plants. Remember, Republicans are anti education. Republicans believe in Gawd and they believe that education is "just a piece of paper" and anyway, who want's that "liberal elitist education?"

Gawd Republicans are dumb.

Minus the actual facts, "Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less" makes a great campaign year bumper sticker and talk radio talking point.

It makes a great talking point until the facts are "explored". Then, as usual, Republicans say, "We don't want liberal BS". Code for "I have an index finger in each ear and I'm singing LA LA LA LA".

Why do Republicans refuse to face reality? And it's not just because "facts" have a liberal bias, they would rather believe the worst lie posible than accept the truth, which is usually far less "frightening".

You 2 idiots should start a cable show and call it "2 idiots discussing basic economics"

"yes, oil is the one commodity impervious to the laws of supply and demand...."

You 2 idiots should start a cable show and call it "2 idiots discussing basic economics"

----Because you know so much, which is why you said. Oh wait, you didn't say anything. Figures.

Libruls will build nuclear power plans? You should write for Conan cause that's funny

First, the Presidency is Palin's for the asking; second, opening ANWR will reduce the prices by announcing future massive increases in supply; third, you labor under the delusion that oil is the one commodity impervious to the laws of supply and demand.

Robust America capitalism and entrepreneurship will compete down the price of energy and will be responsible for 15% of the 50% increase in GDP by the end of Palin's second term.

Last edited:
The main reason it is cheaper to import usually (and it isn't at 150 a barrel) is because currently the first thing you have to hire to drill an oil well is four lawyers six environmental scientist and then if your lucky ten years from now you might get to put an actual hole in the ground.

Yeah, it's a bummer. Let's drill for oil in backyards everywhere, or maybe in the middle of the Town Square where the kids like to gather. Hey, ya never know. You too could be a rich oil baron someday just like The Beverly Hillbillies.

The main reason it is cheaper to import usually (and it isn't at 150 a barrel) is because currently the first thing you have to hire to drill an oil well is four lawyers six environmental scientist and then if your lucky ten years from now you might get to put an actual hole in the ground.

Yeahhhhh, I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that. I've lived in Oklahoma for 52 years and I've seen my share of working rigs. If it paid to do so, you'd see rigs drilling anywhere and everywhere they had a lease. I used to travel the state back in the mid 80's while an oil boom was going on in Oklahoma and you had to make motel/hotel reservations at least 6 weeks in advance in any town in western Oklahoma to get a room because of how much drilling activity was going on. There is still oil in Oklahoma, it just isn't as economical anymore to drill it here as it is to import it.

Do you have to cross your T's and dot your I's legally and drill in an environmentally friendly way? Of course you do. Always have. That is a minor inconvenience when it makes dollar sense to drill domestically.

I too don't believe the environmental regulatory process is nearly as bad as it's alleged to be. When I lived in Southern CA in the 70's, I used to walk my dog 3 blocks from my house and 3 miles from the beach, and if he teased enough, we would stroll through a huge empty lot in the middle of townhouses and apartments where there were a couple of rigs pumping 24/7. There was definitely oil there, because it would get all over his paws and my sandals, so I would try to avoid the place actually. The regulations have undoubtedly gotten more strict since then, but I'll bet even Southern California (the beach communities) are still dotted with oil wells. No big deal. They were as familiar a site as telephone polls.

huntington4.jpg

Huntington Beach CA

The reason drilling has lost its attraction is because investors don't see oil as being the unending future of energy anymore.

Yeah, it's a bummer. Let's drill for oil in backyards everywhere, or maybe in the middle of the Town Square where the kids like to gather. Hey, ya never know. You too could be a rich oil baron someday just like The Beverly Hillbillies.
Hey Maggie, my father in law in, lives in Greene Co. Indiana, and nearly always had a gas well affixed in the back yard. It was maybe 250 feet from the house and you wouldn't know it was there except for the curiosity it invoked. It's functions were entirly below ground. The rig was perhaps 10 feet tall, 5 feet wide 2 foot deep, metallic and grey green.

And he was always a liberal, not just a Democrat, to the extent, that we could never discuss politics, and didn't for 35 years. That subject was too packed with passion for me at least, because I had a lot I wanted to say. His own financial interests came before ideology. He was no Beverly Hillbilly

Last edited:

It's nice to see a conservative admit that the U.S. needs to take the lead in developing alternative energy sources. Thus far, it's only the "liberals" who have been saying that, for all the reasons you mention.

It's nice to see a conservative admit that the U.S. needs to take the lead in developing alternative energy sources. Thus far, it's only the "liberals" who have been saying that, for all the reasons you mention.
I think about any conservative admits that. Too bad so many liberals assign conservatives as being one dimensional. I would never go back into the building business, unless I had a superior idea of how to build a home that featured certain solar passive, and energy efficiencies that would attract that type buyer. Competition dictates those kinds of competitive advantages, and a competitor has to stand out.

We need it all to see where the free marketplace takes us. It cannot be dictated efficiently. Bulding codes, might seem to be the answer, and they are and will be passed, but I like better private initiative and profit as the incentive. It works every time, and we have enough regulations, inspections, and legal parameters to constrain it.

Last edited:

First, the Presidency is Palin's for the asking; second, opening ANWR will reduce the prices by announcing future massive increases in supply; third, you labor under the delusion that oil is the one commodity impervious to the laws of supply and demand.

Robust America capitalism and entrepreneurship will compete down the price of energy and will be responsible for 15% of the 50% increase in GDP by the end of Palin's second term.

Dude, you need some serious anti-psychotic drugs if you honestly think Palin has a shot at the Whitehouse. :cuckoo: Feel free to bookmark this post and say you told me so in 2012.....just don't expect me to hold my breath.

You labor under the delusion that oil companies are concerned about the needs of the US economy and security. They are not. They are concerned about profit which can be kept high thru manipulation of production.

Libruls will build nuclear power plans? You should write for Conan cause that's funny

Plants! Plants!

After what the Republicans did for 8 years to this country, you can't possibly believe they would build "safe" nuclear power plants? Seriously.

Would they even know where to begin? Remember, these are people who believe "Noah's Ark" is a true historical event. What do they know about science and physics and engineering?

Even the gays have organizations made up of gay scientists. I never heard a scientific organization made up of "conservatives".

So, like they did the "Crystal Cathedral", conservatives would hire the gays to make the nuclear power plants? Who else would they get? Ex Soviet Scientists? North Koreans?

Plants! Plants!

After what the Republicans did for 8 years to this country, you can't possibly believe they would build "safe" nuclear power plants? Seriously.

Would they even know where to begin? Remember, these are people who believe "Noah's Ark" is a true historical event. What do they know about science and physics and engineering?

Even the gays have organizations made up of gay scientists. I never heard a scientific organization made up of "conservatives".

So, like they did the "Crystal Cathedral", conservatives would hire the gays to make the nuclear power plants? Who else would they get? Ex Soviet Scientists? North Koreans?

I think we'd start with the people nuclear building plants for the US Navy; it runs on nuclear power

Noah's Ark? What a waste of electrons answering you

Last edited:

Dude, you need some serious anti-psychotic drugs if you honestly think Palin has a shot at the Whitehouse. :cuckoo: Feel free to bookmark this post and say you told me so in 2012.....just don't expect me to hold my breath.

You labor under the delusion that oil companies are concerned about the needs of the US economy and security. They are not. They are concerned about profit which can be kept high thru manipulation of production.

You're boring me, Socrates.

If there's big money to be made, and there is, new companies will come in to make it.

Forum List

Back