Darwin on trial: Evolution hearings open in Kansas

mom4 said:
Was he calling me a black fly? :cry:
Thanks for sticking up for me Jeff, Trinity! :thup:
I'd like to leave you with one thought...unfortunately you haven’t anywhere to put it!

mrsx said:
I'd like to leave you with one thought...unfortunately you haven’t anywhere to put it!

Listen asswipe I believe these were your own words

mrsx said:
They contribute nothing to the content and seem to have no purpose other than provoking anger or sowing confusion.

So what exactly did you intend with this post?

Trinity said:
Listen asswipe I believe these were your own words

So what exactly did you intend with this post?
I'm glad you've changed your mind. What did you do with the diaper?

Sir Evil said:
Why don't you take it easy with the nasty attitude before you find yourself banned!

Is it ok to call her "asswipe"? That's what this genius called me. Why not put a list of acceptable slurs in the FAQ. Quite a double standard here... This thread shows a pattern I have experienced over and over again:
1. I join a discussion in a non-provocative way
2. the original poster responds to my idea
3. one or more third-party insider joins in with name calling but without addressing the topic under discussion.
As a moderator you can look back at all my posts. I never start the name calling and I never introduce the scatalogical language. My put-downs are in the form a humor, not personal attacks. I urge you to address the fascist ethos of your board. Are you the guy who changed my signature without my consent?

mrsx said:
Thank you for helping our confused friend. It is black fly season here in Maine. You can't go out doors to enjoy the beautiful day, visit a neighbor or do yard work without the little blood suckers getting in your ears and mouth. It seems to always be black fly season here on usmessageboard.com. As soon as an issue is defined and a discussion of ideas begins, these irritating little critters come swarming out. They contribute nothing to the content and seem to have no purpose other than provoking anger or sowing confusion. Jesus cast out devils like these, I can't. Going back indoors now.

Here is where your problems started!

Oh and you have a few black fly's in your ears and mouth! See you should have just went back inside and stayed!

threadlock.jpg

-=d=- said:
lol :) it's just that the last several posts don't amount to much more than "No! YOU ARE!" replies. :D

You noticed that too huh? :teeth: I think he went back inside, this time maybe he'll stay! :huh:

Some recent developments in paleoanthropology for those of you interested in science.

Mar 2005: A newly-discovered partial skeleton from Mille in Ethiopia is claimed to be the world's oldest bipedal hominid. The fossil is about 4 million years old and has not yet been classified or published in the scientific literature, though it is said to fall between Ardipithecus ramidus and Australopithecus afarensis.

Feb 2005: Two skulls found near the Omo River in Ethiopia in 1967 by Richard Leakey and thought to be about 130,000 years old have now been dated at 195,000 years, the oldest date known for a modern human skull (McDougall et al. 2005). The Omo I skull is fully modern, while Omo II has some archaic features.

Oct 2004: A new species of hominid, Homo floresiensis, has been discovered on the Indonesian island of Flores. The most complete fossil is that of an almost complete skull and partial skeleton of a female who appears to be about a meter tall, with an astonishingly small brain size of 380cc. The floresiensis fossils date from between 38,000 and 18,000 and are thought to be a dwarf form of Homo erectus. (Brown et al. 2004, Morwood et al. 2004, Lahr and Foley 2004)

Jul 2004: Fragments of a small H. erectus skull, OL 45500, have been discovered at Olorgesailie in Kenya. The skull is an adult or near-adult, and about 0.95 million years old. The brain size can not be measured directly, but from the size of the bones the skull is similar in size to the two larger Dmanisi skulls (D2280 and D2282) and so probably in the 650-800 cc range, which is small for erectus. (Potts et al. 2004, Schwartz 2004) (See also a New Scientist article, Petite skull reopens human ancestry debate, and my comments)

Mar 2004: A new paper contains details of four new mtDNA sequences which have been retrieved from Neandertal fossils (Serre et al., 2004). This brings the number of known Neandertal mtDNA sequences to eight, all of which are closely related, and considerably different from all modern human mtDNA sequences.

Mar 2004: Some fragmentary fossils discovered in Ethiopia and dating between 5.2 and 5.8 million years old were originally assigned to a new subspecies, Ardipithecus ramidus kadabba. Following further study, the finders have decided that the differences between them and other fossils justify assigning them to a new species, Ardipithecus kadabba. (Haile-Selassie et al. 2004, Begun 2004)

Jun 2003: Three new skulls from Herto, Ethiopia, are the oldest known modern human fossils, at 160,000 yrs. The discoverers have assigned them to a new subspecies, Homo sapiens idaltu, and say that they are anatomically and chronologically intermediate between older archaic humans and more recent fully modern humans. Their age and anatomy is cited as strong evidence for the emergence of modern humans from Africa, and against the multiregional theory which argues that modern humans evolved in many places around the world. (White et al. 2003, Stringer 2003)

Apr 2003: A new study has claimed an age of over 4 million years for the australopithecine skeleton Little Foot from South Africa. If true, this would make it one of the oldest known australopithecine fossils. (Partridge et al. 2003)

Feb 2003: OH 65, a fossil from Olduvai Gorge consisting of an upper jaw and part of the lower face, may cause a reevaluation of the species Homo habilis. (Blumenschine et al. 2003, Tobias 2003)

Jul 2002: A fossil skull discovered in Chad, between 6 and 7 million years old, has been assigned to a new genus and species, Sahelanthropus tchadensis. The skull is small and apelike, but with some features associated with hominids. (Brunet et al. 2002, Wood 2002)

Jul 2002: The fossil skull D2700 discovered at Dmanisi, Georgia, is the smallest and most primitive hominid skull ever discovered outside of Africa, and although tentatively assigned to Homo erectus, it and two other skulls and three lower jaws appear in many ways to be intermediate between it and H. habilis. (Vekua et al. 2002, Balter and Gibbons 2002) These specimens have since been allocated to Homo georgicus (Gabunia et al. 2002)

Mar 2002: According to its discoverers, a new Homo erectus skull from Bouri in Ethiopia, about 1 million years old, indicates that Homo ergaster should not be considered a separate species from Homo erectus (Asfaw et al. 2002)

Dec 2001: A new study claims that Homo erectus had rapid dental growth rates and had not yet developed the slow growth rates of modern humans. (Dean et al. 2001, Moggi-Cecchi 2001)

Jul 2001: A number of fragmentary fossils discovered between 1997 and 2001, and dating from 5.2 to 5.8 million years old, have been assigned to a new subspecies, Ardipithecus ramidus kadabba. (Haile-Selassie 2001) (P.S. this taxon was later named as a species, Ar. kadabba, in March 2004)

Mar 2001: A 3.6 million year old fossil from Kenya, WT 40000, has been assigned to a new species and genus, Kenyanthropus platyops. (Leakey et al 2001, Lieberman 2001).

Feb 2001: A French-Kenyan team has found a fossil claimed to be both considerably older than any other hominid (at 6 million years) and more advanced than the australopithecines. The fossil, originally nicknamed "Millennium Man", has been named Orrorin tugenensis, and is claimed by its finders to be a direct ancestor of humans, relegating the australopithecines to a side branch (Senut et al. 2001). These claims are being treated with caution so far (Aiello and Collard 2001).

Jan 2001: A fossil of a 3.4 million year old hominid, probably belonging to a child, has been discovered in Ethiopia.

Jan 2001: A new study has sequenced mitochondrial DNA from the anatomically modern Mungo Man fossil from Australia and found it to be outside the range of modern human mtDNA. The authors have claimed this is strong evidence for the multiregional model of human evolution, as opposed to the currently dominant Out Of Africa model (Adcock et al. 2001). However, other other experts have challenged this. Cooper et al. (2001) have published a rebuttal of this claim.

Mar 2000: Mitochondrial DNA from a second Neandertal specimen (a baby from Mezmaiskaya Cave in Russia) has been successfully sequenced. Like the first specimen, it is well outside the range of variation of modern humans (Ovchinnikov et al. 2000, Höss 2000). Analysis of the mtDNA of a third Neandertal from Vindija in Croatia also confirms the earlier findings. (Krings et al. 2000)

Apr 2000: Two Homo erectus crania and a mandible have been discovered at Dmanisi in the Republic of Georgia. They have been dated at about 1.7 million years. (Gabunia et al. 2000, Balter and Gibbons 2000)
The complete skull of a female Australopithecus robustus has been discovered at Drimolen in South Africa, along with the lower jaw of a male robustus found only a few inches away. (Keyser 2000)

Apr 1999: A new species, Australopithecus garhi, has been named from fossils found near Bouri in Ethiopia, by a joint Ethiopian, American and Japanese team. This small-brained, large-toothed hominid was found near antelope bones which had been butchered by stone tools (Asfaw et al. 1999).

Apr 1999: According to Neandertal expert Erik Trinkaus, the 24500-year-old skeleton of a young boy found in Portugal contains characteristics of both modern human and Neandertals, and is evidence that the two groups interbred (Duarte et al. 1999).

Oct 1998: Although it has not yet been fully excavated, it seems that virtually an entire australopithecine skeleton has been discovered by Ronald Clarke at Sterkfontein in South Africa. This skeleton belongs to the same individual as the "Little Foot" set of four foot bones discovered by Clarke in 1994 (see below).

rest of page: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/recent.html#omo

Hagbard Celine said:
They're not afraid of anything. They're pissed that real science is being questioned by people who believe the world was created by magic.

The "theory" of "evolution" would be a much better example of "magic", than religon's belief of creation.

For me, to believe that after two planets collided four billion years ago creating two fiery masses called the earth and the moon, and just somehow, "magically", out of the four thousand degree fires, "LIFE" just "APPEARED", and then was "magically" guided on how to assemble itself, and then even better, how to "magically" REASSEMBLE itself over time. Now THAT'S a real good STORY! (Of magic.)

In all actuallity, to me, I think it would be EASIER for an all powerfull diety to come here and CREATE life. I believe there's power's in the universe, and yes, beyond life that we cannot comprehend. I think it's also arrogant and ignorant of man, at this young of an age, to think he can actually "explain" how life began, AND how it's come to what it is, on nothing more than a "THEORY".

Creation isn't hard to believe.

mom4 said:
The Scopes Trial in reverse! Hopefully it will get through. Have you looked at a high school science book lately? FULL of outdated or just plain false information.

Ahem...some examples perhaps or are you just making this general claim?

Pale Rider said:
The "theory" of "evolution" would be a much better example of "magic", than religon's belief of creation.

For me, to believe that after two planets collided four billion years ago creating two fiery masses called the earth and the moon, and just somehow, "magically", out of the four thousand degree fires, "LIFE" just "APPEARED", and then was "magically" guided on how to assemble itself, and then even better, how to "magically" REASSEMBLE itself over time. Now THAT'S a real good STORY! (Of magic.)

In all actuallity, to me, I think it would be EASIER for an all powerfull diety to come here and CREATE life. I believe there's power's in the universe, and yes, beyond life that we cannot comprehend. I think it's also arrogant and ignorant of man, at this young of an age, to think he can actually "explain" how life began, AND how it's come to what it is, on nothing more than a "THEORY".

Creation isn't hard to believe.

The concept of causality is obviously lost on you.

It's all just a little bit of history repeating people, nothing to be ashamed about.
It's not just the American people that are hard learners, it is humanity in general that keeps on running into the same walls over and over again.

Take the Dark Ages for example.

Science was oppressed, the highest power were the holy priests of the catholic church. Well, with God's direct servants as the architects of human affairs, what could possibly go wrong? That would have had to be the purest period of mankind, with the servants of Jesus' message to steer us to the light.

Except it wasn't.

Why? Simply because of what the Holy Book itself states: you should follow the personal path through Jesus' teachings towards enlightment; not the path that is being drawn for you by those that have learned the scriptures.
For their path serves only them. I can't remember the verse, but Jesus nearly kills these priests in his anger; that's how much he reviled them.

All that is really left now is for me to wish the people of Kansas good luck with their experiment, and although the end results are chrystal clear as history repeating is kind of like a copy/paste event, they have to go and see for themselves I guess.

I applaud their stubbornness to stand for their own choices, while refusing to listen to those of others: it shows a strength of character that would make Jesus proud. . . except it won't.

For people to see a glimpse of heaven it seems necessary to create hell on earth; only through the ash and brimstone can one see the brilliance of a clear sky it seems. And as the repeating cycle of history speeds up, at least these coming Dark Ages in Kansas will not last five centuries. That should keep the suffering down a bit.

To the people of Kansas:
Good luck with your descent into your Dark Ages.
May it prove to be a fruitful learning experience.
May you one day see that a descent into the Abyss is not the only path to salvation.

MissileMan said:
And people wonder why the rest of the world is kicking our ass in science and math...next thing ya know, there'll be a push to get away from SAE and metric and start measuring everything in cubits.

Kicking our ass? You mean like the Europeans? Is that France I smell burning? Is that free speech being supressed in Scandanavia.

Well, maybe you are talking about Africa? Oh, no, sorry, thats transmission of aids they are kicking ass in, hmmmm, maybe the Middle east? No, thats suicide bomb production they are kicking our asses in, hmmmm, maybe south america? Nah, those latiinos are coming here for work !

Hmmm, maybe Japan? nah, cant be, there economy isnt doing so hot, Russia? hahahah, I think they are on the brink of another revolution, hmmm, maybe China? Nah, cant be, all them are too busy building our little trinkets....

Anyways, the decline in our schools has correlated with the removal of things religous, both in school and in public. Hmmmmmmmm

William Joyce said:
What I think is funny is the strange bedfellows created on this issue. Relgious conservative fundamentalists don't want to consider evolution because it interferes with their Bible-based belief that God created the world in 7 literal days. Liberals don't want the creation theory taught because it assumes a deity, which they hope doesn't exist, because otherwise, they're all going to Hell.

But on the racial issue, it's evolution that shows how we got the different races --- and why some races are smarter than others. Liberals all of a sudden don't want to have anything to do with it! Probably most conservatives, too...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0965683613/002-9960016-9839265?v=glance&tag=ff0d01-20

Sorry, folks --- race is real, races are different, and that matters.

Sorry dude, I know alot of blacks and Jews who are much smarter than you? What does that prove/

Oh, and why is it Jews are so succesful so often, even when in other countries? Even when they are oppressed and start out poor? Hint, it has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with CULTURE.

Forum List

Back