Damn right i’m entitled and not a victim

DAMN RIGHT I’M ENTITLED AND NOT A VICTIM
Unless Romney makes me a victim by turning my Medicare to a voucher program and privatizing my Social Security.

I worked 50 years and sometime two jobs and put my self through college without any help but a full time job and raised three kids in the process. I paid into the system, paid into two wars I did not support, paid into a welfare system I never used, paid into unemployment insurance and never had to use and now my Social Security insurance policy entitles me to Social Security and Medicare, $10 in food stamps, (that Romney want to begrudge me?) a discount on my prescriptions.

My dad invested his future into social security and never lived to collect after working 40 years. He was not able to pass his insurance policy on to his survivors, but Romney’s dad investment was pass on to him and gave him a head start. African slaves worked and built the country and the toils of their labor was not pass on the survivors to give them a head start.

Social Security is one investment that is not pass on to surviving relatives in the form of stock.

Damn right I am entitled, but I am not a victim yet but Romney has all intentions to make me one if he is elected to look out for my interest. A big no thanks Romney. :eusa_hand:
Assuming you have worked all those years, you surely have built up quite a nest egg. My parents told me that to never rely on SS for your retirement years. It's just a small check.
I did my research. SS was NEVER intended to be something on which to retire. It is and always has been a supplement.
Many older people think of SS as an untouchable sacred cow. I got into a heated discussion about the matte with one of my uncles. He actually got pissed off when I told him SS was a bad concept and should be scuttled and redone. His like the reactions of many others was "don't you dare touch my social security"..The thing is he like many others in his generation were told to believe their government would take care of them in their golden years. The truth is the federal government has been robbing SS money and replacing it with IOU's. The thinking was the federal govt could spend the money deducted from our checks and it would be replaced by future generations. Well, with the economy in the shitter and baby boomers about to retire en masse, there is not nearly enough money to cover the flood of new recipients. There is no SS Trust Fund. In fact, due ot the way the federal government spends and takes money from areas which were supposed to be untouchable, has turned all of the items (SS , Medicare, etc) into TAXES. The government simply uses the deducted money for it's own purposes.
The concept or notion that we "pay into" these things is patently false. We are TAXED. Period.
There is no "account" for us.
No one has a Social Security Insurance policy....What are you talking about?
Here's what I would do if I were in the position of having a say..
Blow up Social Security. Get rid of it...Medicare....GONE..
Now, The new setup....
Workers would have the OPTION of choosing a percentage ( minimum of 3%) of their PRE TAX wage to be placed in an UNTOUCHABLE account. The account would bear interest at a rate of prime plus 1% compounded yearly. Upon the worker's retirement the funds would be ALL there. Not one red cent is to be touched by anyone. No government official no presidential executive order. Nothing. The money belongs to the person who put it there.
Employer's share....The employer(s) would be responsible for one half of the rate the employee rate..So if the worker has 4% of his or her pay withheld for the benefit, the employer pays an additional 2% toward the fund.
All of the money goes into an interest bearing account to be drawn upon by the worker upon retirement. TAX FREE..We should NOT be taxing our senior citizens for their retirement.
Now, if the worker passes away, a beneficiary is selected. They cannot receive benefits until THEIR retirement. The concept here is this is just like an insurance policy. The government should not get a bite at this apple.
The bottom line is this. I am SICK and tired of government stealing OUR money and not replacing it.
This and the reasons mentioned above are why the current SS system is broken.

That kind of plan works well for younger people who have not paid 30-40-50 years, or more, into a fund administered by government. The people who were given NO CHOICE about paying into a fund that has been touted as their fall-back fund when they retired from the work force...by the same government that forced them to pay into the fund. According to that pissy letter they send out every year, I have over $150,000 held "on account" for me. Pay me what is mine and I will gladly care for my own retirement, thank you very much. And therein lies an enormous problem, most of your 'baby boomers' have been forced to pay into an account that they are now told is an "entitlement" that needs to be eliminated. Imagine the kind of money I would have had if I had been allowed to establish my own investment fund/savings program? Another rub, both my parents died before they were 60. Both paid into SS but neither collected even on small percentage of what they paid into it. Where'd that money go?
So there are millions of Americans who now stand to suffer because of the government's ponzi scheme.
SS is certainly not an entitlement for those of us who have been forced to pay into it for many years. Whether it is now considered a tax is irrelevant to those of us who have been cheated of the opportunity to provide for our old age.

I agree 100%. The correct way is to phase in a replacement plan. For us more experienced people, it is "we are stuck" with this shitty system.
What happened to your parent's money? That's the reason in part SS is a tax. Their money went into the general fund. Never to be seen again.
Look, with the current system, we ALL are getting cheated. The enemy is not here on this board. The enemy is those in Washington who are responsible for the status quo.
They should on the business end of the pitchforks.
The problem with that is many people would rather see the system remain as it is because to them "a little bit is better than nothing"..
If you asked them as a matter of awakening them to the reality of the issue.."if your employer and you agree to a wage of $20 per hour and on pay day he presented you with a check that reflected only $16 per hour, his reasoning is, well I needed to deduct $4 per hour for operating expenses. I promise to give you back the money when you leave the company but only after you've worked here for 20 years and I get to pay you in installments of MY choosing"...Would you accept this?

No buddy you lost the fight. And I don't give a shit if you call be the c word. Better liberals than you have done so, you just have to take your sorry liberal ass down to the flame zone to do it. And I'll laugh at you all the while. Asswipe.

If you didn't care then why did you scurry to the office and tell the principal?
Dude, I am about as liberal as the late William F Buckley. Know your role and shut your smelly pie hole.

You're as liberal as the day is long and I don't have to shut my pie hole, now why don't you runt down to the fflame zone and call me a c some more? Liberal asswipe.

Yeah, ok rump wrangler.
I thought you didn't care whether or not I called you a( you know you are) see you nest tuesday?..
You are a dupe. A schmuck.
You got baited into this...
Please tell me those are golf balls in your cheeks. Uh oh!

Once again....No one "pays into" social security. It is a TAX. Period.
And the word is C-H-I-L-D-R-E-N....Not "childern"...
You SHOULD NOT be worried about Social Security. You SHOULD HAVE plenty of money put away for your retirement.
In fact, SS payments should be Means tested. For example, if a person has a pension on which they can live comfortably, they don't receive SS benefits.
I get really pissed when a retiree with a nice cushy pension, two homes or one plus a vacation home and lives like a king starts bitching about Social Security.

Only according to a recent SCOTUS decision are government mandated contributions considered a 'tax'. The program was not sold as a tax. It was sold as a retirement program. Most people I know who are now faced with not having SS have been coerced their entire working life to pay into that 'retirement' fund, with no choice to opt out. Means testing is just another progressive idea as to how to make the 'rich' contribute a more 'fair' share than other people.

SS is broken. It needs to be fixed. Perhaps one of the 'fixes' might include requesting those well enough off to survive without SS payments to voluntarily surrender their stipend.

My suggestion for Means Testing is born out of the frustration of hearing people who are well off due to large pensions and other benefits whining about their precious social security.
The reason I declare it a tax is simply because for all intents and purposes, it is a tax. Look, if SS were a benefit, would not the money collected be protected from the general fund? Would not the money collected be set aside for each contributor to collect upon retirement?
Instead, the SS money has been raided and siphoned off to be used as government sees fit. The money replaced with worthless IOU's.
You are looking at this backward. I do not want to contribute to a system( ok, be coerced to surrender wages) where supposedly I am supposed to have it waiting for me upon retirement only to find out I have to rely on CURRENT workers to be coerced into paying for MY retirement. I would rather participate in a system where MY money comes back to me. Not someone else's.
The problem here is many Americans do not realize it is not THEIR money they are getting back. That money is LONG GONE. It is off the backs of people currently working that are paying the retirees. That's wrong. Period.

The SS funds were administered separately from the general budgetary funds until 1965, when LBJ's administration lumped them in with all other budgets. That's when the Congressional fun-fest spending spree using SS funds really began. I agree that I am not entitled to what others should be saving for their own retirements. On the other hand, I should be entitled to receive compensation for my money. SS needs to go away as it exists now. But it would be patently unfair to punish those who have honestly paid into the fund with a not unreasonable expectation of receiving the (implied) promise of support in their retirement.
I would suggest that a cut-off age be determined. It will most likely be an arbitrary age, but let's say 30 years old. Everyone in the work force below that age will no longer have access to a government ponzi scheme program. They will, if they so desire, have the responsibility of establishing some retirement fund of their own. Any contributor who is past the cutoff age should be able to apply for and collect their SS funds in a lump sum payment of the funds held "on account" for them. With this, they can establish some form of retirement fund of their own. Those who are already collecting SS should be permitted to continue to collect as contracted. The government will take a one-time hit for the payouts, but then it will have a limited liability from that point forward.

What happened to your parent's money? That's the reason in part SS is a tax. Their money went into the general fund. Never to be seen again.

It may have gone into the general fund because Congress borrowed it out, but that's not how it was supposed to work. In reality, those IOU's Congress gave the SSA are booked as accounts receivable, which is listed as an "asset" because the money is owed to the SSA. Consequently, it can be treated as cash and it was spent exactly where it was intended to be spent....on the benefits of your parents generation.

Y'all really do need to get past the false impression that the money you pay into SS is "yours." It is not. It is money owed to the previous generation. YOUR SS benefits will be paid by the succeeding generation.

Like it or not, that's how the system works and why it has remained viable now for more than 70 years. Nobody has yet missed a SS check and they're not going to.

Only according to a recent SCOTUS decision are government mandated contributions considered a 'tax'. The program was not sold as a tax. It was sold as a retirement program. Most people I know who are now faced with not having SS have been coerced their entire working life to pay into that 'retirement' fund, with no choice to opt out. Means testing is just another progressive idea as to how to make the 'rich' contribute a more 'fair' share than other people.

SS is broken. It needs to be fixed. Perhaps one of the 'fixes' might include requesting those well enough off to survive without SS payments to voluntarily surrender their stipend.

My suggestion for Means Testing is born out of the frustration of hearing people who are well off due to large pensions and other benefits whining about their precious social security.
The reason I declare it a tax is simply because for all intents and purposes, it is a tax. Look, if SS were a benefit, would not the money collected be protected from the general fund? Would not the money collected be set aside for each contributor to collect upon retirement?
Instead, the SS money has been raided and siphoned off to be used as government sees fit. The money replaced with worthless IOU's.
You are looking at this backward. I do not want to contribute to a system( ok, be coerced to surrender wages) where supposedly I am supposed to have it waiting for me upon retirement only to find out I have to rely on CURRENT workers to be coerced into paying for MY retirement. I would rather participate in a system where MY money comes back to me. Not someone else's.
The problem here is many Americans do not realize it is not THEIR money they are getting back. That money is LONG GONE. It is off the backs of people currently working that are paying the retirees. That's wrong. Period.

The SS funds were administered separately from the general budgetary funds until 1965, when LBJ's administration lumped them in with all other budgets. That's when the Congressional fun-fest spending spree using SS funds really began. I agree that I am not entitled to what others should be saving for their own retirements. On the other hand, I should be entitled to receive compensation for my money. SS needs to go away as it exists now. But it would be patently unfair to punish those who have honestly paid into the fund with a not unreasonable expectation of receiving the (implied) promise of support in their retirement.
I would suggest that a cut-off age be determined. It will most likely be an arbitrary age, but let's say 30 years old. Everyone in the work force below that age will no longer have access to a government ponzi scheme program. They will, if they so desire, have the responsibility of establishing some retirement fund of their own. Any contributor who is past the cutoff age should be able to apply for and collect their SS funds in a lump sum payment of the funds held "on account" for them. With this, they can establish some form of retirement fund of their own. Those who are already collecting SS should be permitted to continue to collect as contracted. The government will take a one-time hit for the payouts, but then it will have a limited liability from that point forward.

I don't know that they would be able to pull off the 'lump sum' option, everyone would want their money now and it would bankrupt us. I agree there should be a cutoff date, anyone born after a certain date or goes into the work system after a certain date no longer has expectations of SS, it will have to take a generation to do tho. The lump sum option could be for those who have paid less than a certain amount in, everyone over that amount waits until retirement. It could be done tho if we didn't have wimps running this country that are too cozy with their DC job and afraid they'll get kicked out for supporting it.

If you didn't care then why did you scurry to the office and tell the principal?
Dude, I am about as liberal as the late William F Buckley. Know your role and shut your smelly pie hole.

You're as liberal as the day is long and I don't have to shut my pie hole, now why don't you runt down to the fflame zone and call me a c some more? Liberal asswipe.

Yeah, ok rump wrangler.
I thought you didn't care whether or not I called you a( you know you are) see you nest tuesday?..
You are a dupe. A schmuck.
You got baited into this...
Please tell me those are golf balls in your cheeks. Uh oh!

poor old liberal loser, you don't have a very grasping mind do ya? here I'll say it slowly
EWE can call me a C**T all you want to, EWE just have to do it down in the flame zone. EWE have to play by the rulez the same way LOLady did and yes she is entitled to draw her SS. So suck on that donkey dick whydonchya?

It may have gone into the general fund because Congress borrowed it out, but that's not how it was supposed to work. In reality, those IOU's Congress gave the SSA are booked as accounts receivable, which is listed as an "asset" because the money is owed to the SSA. Consequently, it can be treated as cash and it was spent exactly where it was intended to be spent....on the benefits of your parents generation.

Y'all really do need to get past the false impression that the money you pay into SS is "yours." It is not. It is money owed to the previous generation. YOUR SS benefits will be paid by the succeeding generation.

Like it or not, that's how the system works and why it has remained viable now for more than 70 years. Nobody has yet missed a SS check and they're not going to.

That is not the complete story. SS is on the road to insolvency because there are not enough workers paying into the system to fund the millions of new retirees about to hit the SS books.
The "way it is" is not the correct way. It's a false promise. People were led to believe their money was taken from their checks to be given back to them upon retirement.
The money taken was not used to pay others. It was used for other purposes and replaced with IOU's which are apparently worthless.

I hate to break this to you, "Old Guy" but you are one of the more naive people that I've run across if you think that Congress is just going to magically come up with the money to fund all of these entitlement programs we've obligated ourselves to. If you took every dime that the wealthy possess it STILL wouldn't be enough. My guess is what they will end up doing at the rate we're going now is to devalue the money supply to where what they are paying us is worth next to nothing. Good luck going to the market and spending that Social Security check when a loaf of bread costs you ten bucks!

If you think they won't, you don't know nuthin' about politics.

How do they come up with it? Borrow more from China? We keep doing THAT and we'll get yet another credit downgrade which means the interest we pay on our loans ratchets ever higher. You seem to think that we can just keep on doing what we're doing and as you're seeing in Greece right now...that isn't the case.

I hate to break this to you, "Old Guy" but you are one of the more naive people that I've run across if you think that Congress is just going to magically come up with the money to fund all of these entitlement programs we've obligated ourselves to. If you took every dime that the wealthy possess it STILL wouldn't be enough. My guess is what they will end up doing at the rate we're going now is to devalue the money supply to where what they are paying us is worth next to nothing. Good luck going to the market and spending that Social Security check when a loaf of bread costs you ten bucks!

If you think they won't, you don't know nuthin' about politics.

How do they come up with it? Borrow more from China? We keep doing THAT and we'll get yet another credit downgrade which means the interest we pay on our loans ratchets ever higher. You seem to think that we can just keep on doing what we're doing and as you're seeing in Greece right now...that isn't the case.
Ok...China does not "lend" money to the US. China and other countries BUY Treasury Bonds which bear interest. That is an INVESTMENT.
Essentially these foreign countries buy US Debt.
Now, I agree that our current economic path is the road to ruin.
The people in the pilot's seat in DC are responsible. This is why we need a new driver.

I don't know that they would be able to pull off the 'lump sum' option, everyone would want their money now and it would bankrupt us. I agree there should be a cutoff date, anyone born after a certain date or goes into the work system after a certain date no longer has expectations of SS, it will have to take a generation to do tho. The lump sum option could be for those who have paid less than a certain amount in, everyone over that amount waits until retirement. It could be done tho if we didn't have wimps running this country that are too cozy with their DC job and afraid they'll get kicked out for supporting it.

Yeah, I can see that compromise with the lump sum payments. The idea is to establish some cutoff so that the financial obligations are time-limited. I also think that the rolls should reviewed and eligibility legitimized.

That is not the complete story. SS is on the road to insolvency because there are not enough workers paying into the system to fund the millions of new retirees about to hit the SS books.

Sure there are. All you need to do is raise the maximum income which is subject to SS taxation until the Baby Boomer's die off and it's fixed.

But, of course, the GOP mantra, repeated ad nauseum, is "No new taxes."

Well...good luck with that.

People were led to believe their money was taken from their checks to be given back to them upon retirement.

I was just a poor truck driver for most of my working life and I understood it. If you or others didn't, it's not because you were scammed. It's because you failed to educate yourself. Nobody has ever hidden the way the system works.

The money taken was not used to pay others. It was used for other purposes and replaced with IOU's which are apparently worthless.

But, the money is still there, indirectly. Nobody has yet missed a SS check because there's no money in the account, right? Every time Congress approves a budget resolution, or a continuing resolution to fund the government "temporarily," it includes enough for the Social Security Administration to continue cutting those checks. In other words, those IOU's are being paid back, one year at a time, and they will continue to be paid back.

Social Security is not "insolvent" unless Congress denies them the funding they need, and even the GOP won't do that. It would be political suicide.

The bottom line is that you're looking at numbers, not the political realities, and being conned into believing SS is about to go away. It's not.

Sure there are. All you need to do is raise the maximum income which is subject to SS taxation until the Baby Boomer's die off and it's fixed.

But, of course, the GOP mantra, repeated ad nauseum, is "No new taxes."

Well...good luck with that.

People were led to believe their money was taken from their checks to be given back to them upon retirement.

I was just a poor truck driver for most of my working life and I understood it. If you or others didn't, it's not because you were scammed. It's because you failed to educate yourself. Nobody has ever hidden the way the system works.

But, the money is still there, indirectly. Nobody has yet missed a SS check because there's no money in the account, right? Every time Congress approves a budget resolution, or a continuing resolution to fund the government "temporarily," it includes enough for the Social Security Administration to continue cutting those checks. In other words, those IOU's are being paid back, one year at a time, and they will continue to be paid back.

Social Security is not "insolvent" unless Congress denies them the funding they need, and even the GOP won't do that. It would be political suicide.

The bottom line is that you're looking at numbers, not the political realities, and being conned into believing SS is about to go away. It's not.

How does the Congress come up with that funding? As the Baby Boomers retire the amount of money needed to keep Social Security solvent is going to increase by huge amounts. The "reality" is that the only way to keep SS going is either by borrowing heavily to fund it...increase taxes by extremely large amounts or by revamping the system itself to bring down the cost. You talk about "political suicide" which is an issue for politicians trying to get reelected...but their "problem" doesn't address the simple math involved. We either fix SS or come up with huge amounts of money we don't have to pay for it.

Ok...China does not "lend" money to the US. China and other countries BUY Treasury Bonds which bear interest. That is an INVESTMENT.

That's right. It's not a loan, per se, but an investment in America's future. Who would invest money in an enterprise they think is going to fail? In reality, that foreign nations would invest in us at all is proof positive that America isn't going to go down the tubes.

By the way, you might be interested to know that the largest, single holder of US government debt...by far...is the Federal Reserve and the US government itself.

Biggest Holders of US Government Debt - Yahoo! Finance

Why and how?

The people in the pilot's seat in DC are responsible. This is why we need a new driver.

Who IS in the drivers seat? And, with whom would you replace them?

How does the Congress come up with that funding?

They borrow it in periods when tax revenues are low, such as during any economic downturn...like now.

As the Baby Boomers retire the amount of money needed to keep Social Security solvent is going to increase by huge amounts.

How huge? Most of we Boomer's are retired already and drawing our SS.

The "reality" is that the only way to keep SS going is either by borrowing heavily to fund it

Yep. Which is exactly how a fiat currency works. The more it's owed, the more value it has.

..increase taxes by extremely large amounts

Extremely? Please define what you consider as "extreme."

or by revamping the system itself to bring down the cost.

Do you advocate "revamping" the whole system to meet a temporary problem? Why?

You talk about "political suicide" which is an issue for politicians trying to get reelected

Uh...yeah. That's how our political system works. The Will of The People is expressed through the election or re-election of politician's. Do you have a better system?

...but their "problem" doesn't address the simple math involved. We either fix SS or come up with huge amounts of money we don't have to pay for it.

We have lots of things which require "huge amounts of money to pay for" and always have. SS is no different. It's how our economy and government functions.

The only question is one of priorities: On what will we spend our money? Social Security? Or, something else?

That's right. It's not a loan, per se, but an investment in America's future. Who would invest money in an enterprise they think is going to fail? In reality, that foreign nations would invest in us at all is proof positive that America isn't going to go down the tubes.

By the way, you might be interested to know that the largest, single holder of US government debt...by far...is the Federal Reserve and the US government itself.

Biggest Holders of US Government Debt - Yahoo! Finance

Why and how?

Who IS in the drivers seat? And, with whom would you replace them?

Wow...where do these stupid people come from?

The Gov is issuing Bonds, the Fed is printing money to buy the bonds, only an idiot thinks this is good.

Hello idiot.

The Gov is issuing Bonds, the Fed is printing money to buy the bonds, only an idiot thinks this is good.

Hello idiot.

If it's not good, it must be bad.

Why is it bad?

Hello idiot.

If it's not good, it must be bad.

Why is it bad?

LOL.....ok the Gov has no money....the Gov issues Bonds...nobody buys the bonds...the Gov has no money...the Feds PRINTS money and buys the bonds.....it "makes" up new money....

Now...there are X amount of Dollars in the World...we have ONE dollar in our hands and the Gov PRINTS one, how much is the one we had worth?

LOL.....ok the Gov has no money

Yes it does. It's called revenue, which is the sum total of taxes and fees paid into the federal government (I'm assuming you're just talking about the federal government here, right?)

....the Gov issues Bonds...

No. The FED issues bonds.

nobody buys the bonds...

No. Lot's of people, government and other entities buy them. I buy them in the form of Series I Savings Bonds. You may buy them in some other form, such as T-Bills or via some investment scheme in your 401K which favors them.

the Gov has no money

Money, or currency? They're not the same.

...the Feds PRINTS money and buys the bonds

The "Feds" or the "FED?" There is a difference, you know.

.....it "makes" up new money....

No. The FED may create new currency, but private banks (Who ARE the FED) make "new" money.

Now...there are X amount of Dollars in the World

No. There isn't a finite amount of dollars in the world.

...we have ONE dollar in our hands and the Gov PRINTS one, how much is the one we had worth?

That depends upon what it's owed for and, more importantly, who wants it and for what.

Last edited:
Obama and other politicians on BOTH sides of the aisle will not touch SS because it is a political nuclear bomb.
They have already touched it, fondled it, grabbed it, raped it, and then dined on it, until it disappeared . It's gone.

Lady, The dingo ate your entitlements.

On the other hand:
The victims that Romney was talking about are the same ones that Obama was talking about when he said that "the working poor, and the welfare class (the, also entitled) is a political voting bloc that can be harnessed."
He literally wants them eating out of his hand. What they eat is your "insurance". And the line is getting longer and easier to stand in.
On issues as wide-ranging as gun control, universal health care and welfare reform, Obama also said he viewed welfare recipients and “the working poor” as “a majority coalition” that could be mobilized to help advance progressive policies...........

The only thing Romney did was give you the percentage of Obama's voting bloc.

You want to keep your check? Get rid of your president. He wants to use your check for "reform".

Last edited:

Forum List

Back