CDZ Culture: Scotland had a mass shooting; last year, Scotland had two unlawful gun homicides

Xelor/2aguy
Xelor posted a long article providing stats on gun violence decreasing in Scotland after gun control was imposed. 2AGuy immediately countermoved with a long article providing stats that gun violence is dramatically increasing in Scotland and Britain generally.

Which am I -- or any of us -- supposed to believe? Who do I trust? I LOVE the Australian Prime Minister's statement at the press briefing with President Trump: "We have basically no semiautomatic weapons--let alone automatic--in our country."

God, I wish we could say that here, because as I advocated JUST for the elimination of weapons like the AR-15, I have been schooled by gun rights supporters that ALL semiautomatics perform the same way, are as fast and as deadly. Where does that lead me in the argument? Well, not toward no control, I'll give you a hint.

I'm not the only gun control advocate who is at a disadvantage in these arguments because I don't have a lot of technical knowledge about the firepower and performance of different kinds of guns. I don't plan on spending a lot of time researching it either, because in the end they'll just turn and argue the 2nd Amendment, or the "if guns are outlawed, only criminals will have guns," which has no answer.

I wish someone could be trusted to give us the absolute truth on this issue without putting their political spin or wishes into the argument. I don't know where to go for that. The posts from Xelor and 2AGuy show the problem. It isn't that either of them is lying. But they completely contradict each other. What is the answer?
I'm not the only gun control advocate who is at a disadvantage in these arguments because I don't have a lot of technical knowledge about the firepower and performance of different kinds of guns.
That gap in your technical knowledge is not a disadvantage. Regardless of one's shooting skill, a semi-automatic rifle equipped with high-capacity magazine (a lot of bullets) increases the certainty of a shooter achieving a kill shot and doing so to more individuals than does a bolt action rifle or other firearm that requires one to manually prepare the weapon to fire another round. That may not be a factor if a single person is the shooter's target, particularly a very skilled marksman's, but it's certainly a factor for individuals in groups who, regardless of whether any one of them is or isn't the gunman's targets, must flee a mass shooter's fusillade of bullets.

Forum List

Back