Cultural exhaustion

Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of the Mexican victory over France in war.

This principle has his head up his ass.

"but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

Sensitive to Mexicans? Or Mexican Americans? I doubt a Mexican American would find the American flag offensive.

And did the jackass consider that displaying the Mexican flag is offensive to many American's? Wouldn't that be just as likely to cause a fight in school?

Last edited:
Threads Merged.

FACEBOOK

NBCPhiladelphia.com On any other day at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Daniel Galli and his four friends would not even be noticed for wearing t-shirts with the American flag. But Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.

Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the Vice Principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag t-shirts inside-out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal's office.

"They said we could wear it on any other day, but today is sensitive to Mexican Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today," Daniel Galli said.

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees | NBC Bay Area

if they are allowed to wear it any other day...they should have been allowed yesterday...why do americans even do this holiday?

Around here, Cinco de Mayo is a great opportunity to get good deals on Mexican food and beer, that's why.

Seriously, I'm wondering why the principal's solution to violence is to repress these boys, rather than . . . oh, I don't know, repressing the people who are or might be violent? Why is THAT not the behavior he's trying to stamp out? Is it too out there to suggest that he might want to teach the Mexican kids to be tolerant of others? And by the way, I'm a bit insulted on behalf of the majority of the Mexican-American population by the bigoted suggestion that they would find the American flag something to be violent over in the first place.

I donno Si, did you read the article?:

Essentially, the School Administration was doing nothing that our own USMB mods do with Octopron. It is their responsibility to keep the school running smoothly, not to hold court and decide what is constitutional or not.

The School Admin did their jobs.
You have a point. They were warned.

However, my point and others is when the rules themselves teach hypocrisy, it's not a good lesson to youth.

Having a riot at school is also slightly detrimental to educational goals and objectives.

And we want to teach our children that society avoids violence by kowtowing to its purveyors, rather than by refusing to accept and allow violent behavior?

What a wonderful message in a post-9/11 world: If people offer you violence for expressing your beliefs and loyalties, shut the hell up and appease them.

I saw this story on KTVU last night. The reporter interviewed a girl who snivelled that it was disrespectful for the boys to wear American flags on Cinco de Mayo. After all, she and her friends didn't wear the Mexican flag on American holidays.

She seems to forget that this IS America.

This is absolutely shameful.

As if most people would even recognize the Mexican flag, much less give a shit if she DID wear a shirt in those colors.

I would have left the kids alone. Fuck mexico and fuck cinco de mayo, this is the United States of America, why the fuck would any reasonable American want to celebrate a mexican holiday. I say if you wish to celebrate mexican holidays, then move your ass to mexico!
Why would we want to celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

(Well, the obvious reason for both is alcohol, but still.)

same reason why people celebrate cinco de mayo, just another excuse to party and drink tequila

And eat two-for-one enchiladas. Don't forget the enchiladas!

Prove it!

Prove it? I grew up in Boston. It is a town were the Irish (disclosure: part of family is of Irish heritage) had a chip on their shoulder even while controlling the whole city.

At one time the Irish Catholics in America were detested because they had too many children, spoke with accents, were poor and dirty, and had odd customs...and were papists.

hmmm, sound familiar?

how the fuck do you think St. Patty's day started? Shit it is a PC crime to call a police van a Patty Wagon.

The Irish American PC crowd is insufferable in places like Boston.

Yes prove it.

Prove it? You're a nut. You can't call the police wagon the paddy wagon anymore. :eek:

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, poor Irish waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

Prove it? I grew up in Boston. It is a town were the Irish (disclosure: part of family is of Irish heritage) had a chip on their shoulder even while controlling the whole city.

At one time the Irish Catholics in America were detested because they had too many children, spoke with accents, were poor and dirty, and had odd customs...and were papists.

hmmm, sound familiar?

how the fuck do you think St. Patty's day started? Shit it is a PC crime to call a police van a Patty Wagon.

Yes prove it.

Prove it? You're a nut. You can't call the police wagon the paddy wagon anymore. :eek:

Poor Irish? Pfffft. Not any longer.

just heard on the news that two of the kids wearing the flags were mexican american....

If true most people here should hold their heads in shame. Racists like that 'granny' poster.

people here do not distinguish between Mexican Americans and Mexicans and see them all walking lock step like a GOP Tea Party rally

Bullshit! That is a troll if I ever saw one. This is why I was confused earlier when you claimed Mexican Americans have a problem with the rest of America.

The rest of America is not trying to rid ourselves of Mexican Americans but illegal immigrants. There should be no problem with that in any hyphenated American community.

againshiella, granny and others have insulted Mexicans as a whole. and illegal immigrant does not equal Mexican

Prove it!

hmmm, sound familiar?

how teh fuck do you think St. Patty's day started? Shit it is a PC crime to call a police van a Patty Wagon.

Well...it was drinking I believe. Followed closely by cloaking the holiday in the church with a reference to Saint Patrick driving snakes out of Ireland? Today, it is a platform for folks like you to spread blarney

In Boston blacks, latinos and others would be attacked and beaten for attending the St Patrick's day parade.

true or false?

Yes prove it.

Yet many Irish still whine like fucking stuck pigs. It's embarrassing how much some embrace victimology. Ever notice how many white who scream loudest about reverse discrimination are Irish Americans?

I always laughed at how embarrassed the new Irish immigrants I'd meet were horrified by the ignorance, stupidity and silly ways of the Irish American in the USA

Yet many Irish still whine like fucking stuck pigs. It's embarrassing how much some embrace victimology. Ever notice how many white who scream loudest about reverse discrimination are Irish Americans?

I always laughed at how embarrassed the new Irish immigrants I'd meet were horrified by the ignorance, stupidity and silly ways of the Irish American in the USA
Like a good American (Irishman only in blood and familial culture), I am no fan of whining.

If I were one of the parents of those horrible American flag wearing kids I would buy them a dozen identical shirts with Old Glory plastered across the front and have them wear it every single fucking day of the school year.

Like a good American (Irishman only in blood and familial culture), I am no fan of whining.

I do not recognize you. What kind of Irish are you? :lol: Boston, and New York, and Atlanta, and Chicago all have had GRAND whining figures who Irish Americans have adored and revered.

any true Irish American knows, no good deed goes unpunished and any success is to be slapped down with a reference to remembering where one comes from. :lol:

I do not recognize you. What kind of Irish are you? :lol: Boston, and New York, and Atlanta, and Chicago all have had GRAND whining figures who Irish Americans have adored and revered.

any true Irish American knows, no good deed goes unpunished and any measure of success is to be slapped down with a reference to remembering where one comes from. :lol:

Forum List

Back