Cultural exhaustion

Dante has a point about kids doing things to stand out or kind of define themselves. These kids probably did wear those shirts in an attempt at passive rebellion at having a holiday shoved down their throats that they do not believe in. It's common for kids to act out and these kids may have just wanted to show pride in their country. I see no problem with them wearing those shirts or bandanas. There really should have been no possibilities of violence because of that attire.

I bet I could easily slide into an Irish pub on St. Patty's day wearing a shirt with an American flag on it and be welcomed in conversation and drinking.

Obama really needs to stop with his divisive rhetoric. It's gone too far if you can't wear a shirt with an American flag on it to school. That school sounds like a zoo, (like what I went to), rather than an institution for learning.

If there were tensions with Irish Americans and the rest of America, you would not leave that pub on your feet. :lol:

I have no idea what Obama's speech has to do with this, but then again I don't do conspiracies well either.:eusa_whistle:

Dante has a point about kids doing things to stand out or kind of define themselves. These kids probably did wear those shirts in an attempt at passive rebellion at having a holiday shoved down their throats that they do not believe in. It's common for kids to act out and these kids may have just wanted to show pride in their country. I see no problem with them wearing those shirts or bandanas. There really should have been no possibilities of violence because of that attire.

I bet I could easily slide into an Irish pub on St. Patty's day wearing a shirt with an American flag on it and be welcomed in conversation and drinking.

Obama really needs to stop with his divisive rhetoric. It's gone too far if you can't wear a shirt with an American flag on it to school. That school sounds like a zoo, (like what I went to), rather than an institution for learning.

HACK ALERT
WTF does this have to do with Obama? Get a grip:cuckoo:

I saw this story on KTVU last night. The reporter interviewed a girl who snivelled that it was disrespectful for the boys to wear American flags on Cinco de Mayo. After all, she and her friends didn't wear the Mexican flag on American holidays.

She seems to forget that this IS America.

This is absolutely shameful.

It is shameful that American adults and authorities have allowed the cultural landscape to get to this point, but what would you have done as Principal?

I may have possibly acted the same way the Principal did.

me too, and I would be livid as heck. But we are we we are in society. As long as people attack latinos as a group, they will be defensive. I live in LA and see many Mexicans angry at other Mexicans. Mexicans and other latinos are not so different than everyone esle.

but in teh cities, the public schools are mostly minority in body,

If there were tensions with Irish Americans and the rest of America, you would not leave that pub on your feet. :lol:

I have no idea what Obama's speech has to do with this, but then again I don't do conspiracies well either.:eusa_whistle:

His stance on the Arizona laws for one. He should back that state up by assuring federal help is on the way and shortly no state laws will be necessary to protect themselves from illegals.

Why are there tensions between Mexican Americans and the rest of America? Mexican Americans are treated differently? I don't understand.

I would have left the kids alone. Fuck mexico and fuck cinco de mayo, this is the United States of America, why the fuck would any reasonable American want to celebrate a mexican holiday. I say if you wish to celebrate mexican holidays, then move your ass to mexico!

You would have let the Anglo kids get their asses kicked?

you really are fresh out of home school.

president of your class. :rofl:

Kids have to learn to defend themselves and stand up for what is right, many brave men have died defending the flag. But you don't know if a fight would have even taken place, it's pure speculation or maybe paranoia on your part. Just because you may be too much of a coward to defend the right to display the image of the American flag, doesn't mean everyone is a coward.

Banning the flag out of fear of violence has been done before.

In the Netherlands the national flag is now banned on most schools. If a student wears the national flag of his own country he will be suspended or expelled from school. The reason for this is that this provokes the immigrants (the muslims) and therefore it is considered discrimination if you wear your country's flag in your own country. Even people who have an bumpersticker whit the flag on their car are harassed and called a facist by the Muslims. Most schools also ban certain clothing like the Lonsdale brand and combat boots with white or red laces. This is also concidered a sign of racism.
There are of course no restrictions for the immigrants on clothing.
Netherlands the national flag is now banned in most schools - Google Search

Netherlands? We don't live there and I don't believe your synopsis of the cultural tensions in the Netherlands.

People in American are called commies and fascists and fags and dikes and more...for having political or pride bumper stickers on their cars. So what? People are people.

There are NO restrictions on immigrant clothing where?

I wonder if the Greek flag will be banned in EU countries?

His stance on the Arizona laws for one. He should back that state up by assuring federal help is on the way and shortly no state laws will be necessary to protect themselves from illegals.

Why are there tensions between Mexican Americans and the rest of America? Mexican Americans are treated differently? I don't understand.

Arizona is stepping into federal areas. I support Obama fighting for what is right. Just as I support Congress when it fights the Executive stepping into areas where it is looking for a power grab.

There are tensions and you and being disingenuous. Why there are is another question.

stop wasting my time. that's my job

I would have left the kids alone. Fuck mexico and fuck cinco de mayo, this is the United States of America, why the fuck would any reasonable American want to celebrate a mexican holiday. I say if you wish to celebrate mexican holidays, then move your ass to mexico!

Kids have to learn to defend themselves and stand up for what is right, many brave men have died defending the flag. But you don't know if a fight would have even taken place, it's pure speculation or maybe paranoia on your part. Just because you may be too much of a coward to defend the right to display the image of the American flag, doesn't mean everyone is a coward.

Brave men have died defending the flag? From who and when? :lol:

I flew a flag on my porch before 911, so go fuck an armadillo. :lol:

you're obviously a blowhard and not yet a mature adult.

Why would we want to celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

(Well, the obvious reason for both is alcohol, but still.)

The difference is St. Patricks Day has long been a religious holiday. It's in honor of St. Patrick (387-461 AD), it doesn't commemorate a victory of a battle that happened in Mexico in 1862. Fact is the St. Patricks Day parade was started here in the US in 1762 on, you guessed it, March 17th.
As every day of the year has a saint associated with it, every day is a religious holiday.

Denying that St. Paddy's is more than a day of celebration of Irish heritage here is disingenuous. Same with Cinco de Mayo, only Mexican heritage.

Look up the history of St. Patricks day, St. Patrick is the patron Saint of Ireland, but he is celebrated by all Roman Catholics, not just those in Ireland. As I stated the tradition of the St. Patricks Day parade started here in America.

Banning the flag out of fear of violence has been done before.

In the Netherlands the national flag is now banned on most schools. If a student wears the national flag of his own country he will be suspended or expelled from school. The reason for this is that this provokes the immigrants (the muslims) and therefore it is considered discrimination if you wear your country's flag in your own country. Even people who have an bumpersticker whit the flag on their car are harassed and called a facist by the Muslims. Most schools also ban certain clothing like the Lonsdale brand and combat boots with white or red laces. This is also concidered a sign of racism.
There are of course no restrictions for the immigrants on clothing.
Netherlands the national flag is now banned in most schools - Google Search

Netherlands? We don't live there and I don't believe your synopsis of the cultural tensions in the Netherlands.

People in American are called commies and fascists and fags and dikes and more...for having political or pride bumper stickers on their cars. So what? People are people.

There are NO restrictions on immigrant clothing where?

I wonder if the Greek flag will be banned in EU countries?

The anarchist flag should be. The Communist Party in Greece and the unionized workers were aggressively protesting, as is their right...but the shithead youth and anarchists who always try and instigate violence are responsible for the deaths of three innocent people.

Take your tough guy act somewhere else, you're not impressing anyone.

Although you have proven youself to be a complete moron.

The difference is St. Patricks Day has long been a religious holiday. It's in honor of St. Patrick (387-461 AD), it doesn't commemorate a victory of a battle that happened in Mexico in 1862. Fact is the St. Patricks Day parade was started here in the US in 1762 on, you guessed it, March 17th.
As every day of the year has a saint associated with it, every day is a religious holiday.

Denying that St. Paddy's is more than a day of celebration of Irish heritage here is disingenuous. Same with Cinco de Mayo, only Mexican heritage.

Look up the history of St. Patricks day, St. Patrick is the patron Saint of Ireland, but he is celebrated by all Roman Catholics, not just those in Ireland. As I stated the tradition of the St. Patricks Day parade started here in America.

What started here was celebrating Saint Patrick's day as a way to shove being Irish and Proud into the faces of other Americans.

I wonder how many times people looking to start trouble by saying they were Americans without a hyphen, got their asses kicked during the celebrations?

Take your tough guy act somewhere else, you're not impressing anyone.

Although you have proven youself to be a complete moron.

Tough guy act? :lol:

what a dufus

What started here was celebrating Saint Patrick's day as a way to shove being Irish and Proud into the faces of other Americans.
I wonder how many times people looking to start trouble by saying they were Americans without a hyphen, got their asses kicked during the celebrations?

Prove it!

Ummmm. As a Roman Catholic and as an American of 100% Irish heritiage, I'm pretty satisfied with my knowledge of this topic.

The Church - that would be the Roman Catholic Church - has assigned a saint to every day of the year. Technically, every single day is a religious holiday, if a saint's day is to be classified as such.

The only 'saint's' day that is a Holy Day of Obligation (a religious holiday, according to The Church) in The Church is All Saints' Day.

Again, to deny that St. Patrick's Day here in the USA is anything but a celebration of Irish heritage is disingenous.

Last edited:

Prove it!

Prove it? I grew up in Boston. It is a town were the Irish (disclosure: part of family is of Irish heritage) had a chip on their shoulder even while controlling the whole city.

At one time the Irish Catholics in America were detested because they had too many children, spoke with accents, were poor and dirty, and had odd customs...and were papists.

hmmm, sound familiar?

how teh fuck do you think St. Patty's day started? Shit it is a PC crime to call a police van a Patty Wagon.

The Irish American PC crowd is insufferable in places like Boston.

Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the Vice Principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag t-shirts inside-out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal's office.

"They said we could wear it on any other day, but today is sensitive to Mexican Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today," Daniel Galli said.
The boys said the administrators called their t-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.

Students Wearing American Flag Shirts Sent Home | NBC Bay Area

American's have become second class citizens in their own country. Even Mexico doesn't make a big deal about cinco de mayo. They celebrate their independence in Sept.

Mexicans here must be stupid. Worse, to be insulted because American citizens are wearing American colors IN AMERICA????????? What the heck?????

I hope those families sue the heck out of that school. As for the Mexicans who claim to be insulted.... GO HOME!!!!!!!

just heard on the news that two of the kids wearing the flags were mexican american....

If true most people here should hold their heads in shame. Racists like that 'granny' poster.

people here do not distinguish between Mexican Americans and Mexicans and see them all walking lock step like a GOP Tea Party rally

Forum List

Back