Cubs rule!

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
Four games to two. First pennant since 1945. :woohoo:

Relish it Cub fans. You sure paid yer dues.

:clap2::happy-1:

imagegensq.ashx

Thank the 1994 strike and the imbalance created by pure free agency. Big market teams have had an unfair advantage ever since. The Red Sox drought was cured by that strike and also the White Sox and Cubs.
The Cubs averaged 1 playoff every 25 years between 1945 and the strike and that multiplied by seven after the strike. This development is inflated and was inevitable.

Thank the 1994 strike and the imbalance created by pure free agency. Big market teams have had an unfair advantage ever since. The Red Sox drought was cured by that strike and also the White Sox and Cubs.
The Cubs averaged 1 playoff every 25 years between 1945 and the strike and that multiplied by seven after the strike. This development is inflated and was inevitable.

That's grossly misleading. The Cubs weren't IN the playoffs for the first.39 years of that period and the time since then is but 22 years. Way too small a sample to be talking about "average". They were simply hapless for four decades, then got better.

As for big market teams being "unfairly advantaged" I give you Cincinnati (1995, 2010, 2012, 2013), Tampa Bay (2008, 2010, 2011, 2013), KC (2014, 2015), Oakland (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014) and Milwaukee (2008, 2011). Or take Pittsburgh as a small market short-term comparison --- no postseason for 21 years 1992-2013... and then three years in a row. They floundered, then they improved. Not rocket surgery.

That's grossly misleading. The Cubs weren't IN the playoffs for the first.39 years of that period and the time since then is but 22 years. Way too small a sample to be talking about "average". They were simply hapless for four decades, then got better.

And one has to give the Ricketts family a lot of credit for not just taking the fans for granted, which previous owners have done, and really invested in getting the talent for this team to get where it is.

As for big market teams being "unfairly advantaged" I give you Cincinnati (1995, 2010, 2012, 2013), Tampa Bay (2008, 2010, 2011, 2013), KC (2014, 2015), Oakland (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014) and Milwaukee (2008, 2011). Or take Pittsburgh as a small market short-term comparison --- no postseason for 21 years 1992-2013... and then three years in a row. They floundered, then they improved. Not rocket surgery.

Each of the small market teams who had success were subsequently scattered onto big market teams. Most of the KC Royals will be playing for the Yankees and Red Sox before you know it.
As for the Cubs, I accurately cited statistics and math.

Each of the small market teams who had success were subsequently scattered onto big market teams. Most of the KC Royals will be playing for the Yankees and Red Sox before you know it.

No, you cherrypicked to fuel a conspiracy theory and then tacked on a speculation fallacy about future events that haven't happened. ALL of the successful small-market years cited above are post-1994 and run right up to last year.

If your premise about large-market teams were true the topic team of this thread would never have had such a drought -- Chicago is not a small market. Nor did it hold back the White Sox.

No, you cherrypicked to fuel a conspiracy theory and then tacked on a speculation fallacy about future events that haven't happened. ALL of the successful small-market years cited above are post-1994 and run right up to last year.

If your premise about large-market teams were true the topic team of this thread would never have had such a drought -- Chicago is not a small market. Nor did it hold back the White Sox.

Again, before the strike, 2 playoff appearances in fifty years; after the strike, six appearances in twenty years.
Get a non-democrat to do the algebra for you.

CUBS WIN CUBS WIN!!! they are going all the way.they have accomplished their first task getting there and now they are set to win it.I said form the very get go that if they got past the SF Giants they would win it all and I am sticking to that. The SF giants were the toughest opponent that would give them problems.

Joe Maddon said he did not want to go back to chicago and face them again for game five and have to face cuoto who other than a homer that barely cleared the fence at wrigley,shut them out the first time only winning a 1-0 game.

I said it before,alll the other teams dont match up well against them,that after they beat the Giants they were home free and I am sticking to it.

This Cubs team is different that all the others in the past as evidenced that they are in the series this time,they got a special mojo and belief in themselves none of the other cub teams had.

I take nothing for granted, but one thing I do know: every time this year it looked like the Cubs were on the ropes and were possibly going down without getting back up, they pulled out of it.

Tribe in 4.
10/29 is my birthday.
I will accept nothing less. :)

Tribe in four not willing to accept anything less? well better get out your crying towel because I GUARANTEE they wont sweep them in four IF they do win it all.

expect it to go 6 or 7 games. Oh and when the Cubs win it all what are you going to do then when you wont even accept them losing ONE game?:rofl::rofl::rofl::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

CUBS WIN CUBS WIN!!! they are going all the way.they have accomplished their first task getting there and now they are set to win it.I said form the very get go that if they got past the SF Giants they would win it all and I am sticking to that. The SF giants were the toughest opponent that would give them problems.

Joe Maddon said he did not want to go back to chicago and face them again for game five and have to face cuoto who other than a homer that barely cleared the fence at wrigley,shut them out the first time only winning a 1-0 game.

I said it before,alll the other teams dont match up well against them,that after they beat the Giants they were home free and I am sticking to it.

This Cubs team is different that all the others in the past as evidenced that they are in the series this time,they got a special mojo and belief in themselves none of the other cub teams had.
Get used to it. Just as with the Red Sox winning 3 WS after the '94 strike the Cubs will continue their success with their unfair big market advantage.

True big market teams have a clear advantage, but you have seen time and time again small market teams like KC make it all the way.

I hope they lose, I hope the 4th loss comes in Wrigley, I hope they have a big lead that is blown in the 9th inning. I'm not a big baseball fan but I love seeing home fans disappointed in the World Series, but it's nothing personal cubby fans.

True big market teams have a clear advantage, but you have seen time and time again small market teams like KC make it all the way.

Yep my Royals have proved that you can spend all the money in the world for talent but the Royals got there and won it all because they had something all these big money market teams dont have.passion for the game and heart and a strong desire to play for the love of the game instead of the money to go along with their talent they have.

The Cubs have always been my second favorite team but I like them even more so now than ever though because they followed the same blueprint the royals did in winning their world series doing the little things,good old fashioned baseball.they have the same heart and desire to to go out and play for the love of the game that my Royals had last year and its paying off.

He is soooo right though.I lost interest in baseball in the mid 90's not because of the strike,people need to get over that,but because of that stupid three way wild card division series.Baseball was the last sport that did it right where the person that wins the division moves on and everyone else stays home.Plus classic ballparks being torn down has tainted the game as well like the detriot tigers for example,and most important like he said,free agency has ruined the game.there needs to be a salary cap so the big market teams cant but the best talent in the world.

Back in the early 70's,it would have been unheard of for Johnny cuoto to not finish most his career with the Reds.:mad: the good old days of teams like the reds and a's being able to compete year with these other teams are over with.

That is why unless it is the royals or the cubs in the series,I never watch i where when i was little,i always watched the world series and did not care who was in it.the owners indeed ruined the game in the 90's with outlandish free agent signings.fuck baseball.:mad:

I hope they lose, I hope the 4th loss comes in Wrigley, I hope they have a big lead that is blown in the 9th inning. I'm not a big baseball fan but I love seeing home fans disappointed in the World Series, but it's nothing personal cubby fans.

why you a cleveland resident?

Forum List

Back