Crusade Propaganda

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Hey gop_jeff, I found this. Kathianne, is this one of the "new" views you were speaking of in the other thread??

Crusade Propaganda
By Prof. Thomas F. Madden

Excerpt
Now put this down in your notebook, because it will be on the test: The crusades were in every way a defensive war [emphasis is the author's]. They were the West's belated response to the Muslim conquest of fully two-thirds of the Christian world. While the Arabs were busy in the seventh through the tenth centuries winning an opulent and sophisticated empire, Europe was defending itself against outside invaders and then digging out from the mess they left behind. Only in the eleventh century were Europeans able to take much notice of the East. The event that led to the crusades was the Turkish conquest of most of Christian Asia Minor (modern Turkey). The Christian emperor in Constantinople, faced with the loss of half of his empire, appealed for help to the rude but energetic Europeans. He got it. More than he wanted, in fact.

freeandfun1 said:
Hey gop_jeff, I found this. Kathianne, is this one of the "new" views you were speaking of in the other thread??

Crusade Propaganda

Excerpt

You got it Free, that is the stuff of which I am speaking. Not the way it was taught, prior to 9/11. Even in Grad level courses.

Kathianne said:
You got it Free, that is the stuff of which I am speaking. Not the way it was taught, prior to 9/11. Even in Grad level courses.

In reading it, all one can say is that history - as always - is repeating itself. We are condemning ourselves instead of looking at whom the aggressor really is.

freeandfun1 said:
In reading it, all one can say is that history - as always - is repeating itself. We are condemning ourselves instead of looking at whom the aggressor really is.

I agree. You gotta admit, it's dynamite for a thesis.

Kathianne said:
I agree. You gotta admit, it's dynamite for a thesis.

And a model for how we need to handle things this time. If we are not careful, history will repeat itself, but this time Europe will be overrun and then they will turn to us to "free" the continent. Better stop it now while we can and that is exactly what Bush is trying to do by introducing democracy and capitalism into Iraq and the whole of the ME.

freeandfun1 said:
And a model for how we need to handle things this time. If we are not careful, history will repeat itself, but this time Europe will be overrun and then they will turn to us to "free" the continent. Better stop it now while we can and that is exactly what Bush is trying to do by introducing democracy and capitalism into Iraq and the whole of the ME.
Point well taken. US and its few allies are the only that seem to be getting this.

freeandfun1 said:

Crusade Propaganda

Excerpt

I dunno its kinda depressing that this isnt obvious to everyone. I mean all you have to do is read alittle about the Crusades and tell it was an obvious defensive response to the Muslim aggression. I mean the fact that anyone buys the argument otherwises is ridiculous.

It probably falls alot in with the propaganda of the Inquisition which wasnt nearly as bad as everyone says. In fact, the Inquisition was very humane compared to the civil courts of the day.

Forum List

Back