Cracker Barrel

I haven't been to a Cracker Barrel in a few years. When I would take Mom to breakfast, we'd drive one exit up I-95 and go to the one there. Now, though, we go to a small cafe about a mile away. It's owned by a husband and wife. Best biscuits & gravy I've ever had.

I remember reading an article on the ten worst, but popular, restaurants when it came to healthy menu offerings. Cracker Barrel came in dead last. The writer proclaimed "even their coffee is fattening"...

Never ate at one or Perkins I can remember. Basically not a big pan cake person is the reason

Probably Shoneys is my favorite kind of breakfast place

Don't have any around here but I used to grab a burger and shake at one between Portland and Seattle once a week back in the '90's. They had great shakes.

Speaken of waffles...
I ordered a Waring commercial waffle iron about three months ago and finally gave up on ever receiving it so I ordered an ALDKitchen Waffle maker which is also a commercial unit.
And of course the day I received the ALD I get an email from KATOM saying my Waffle iron is on the way.
So here I sit with a $250 ALD machine and a $400 Waring machine.
In a way I guess it's a good thing. We can try em both over the weekend and send the loser back.

My friend invited me out to breakfast with them next month and I haven't been there in years. They say that they have really good pancakes, and the hot chocolate is to die for! (I just saw on their website that they have cookies and cream. :D) Has anybody eaten their recently? What do you think about it? I was just talking to somebody about it today and they had me thinking I was going crazy because they didn't remember Cracker Barrel having actual barrels full of crackers in their restaurants, but I looked it up directly afterwards and I was sort of amazed to see forty-five of fifty states has them. (I'm guessing that they're probably wrapped inside of them though.) At least I wasn't going crazy after all though. :badgrin:

2 hour drive to get to the nearest one, but I'd really love to get some biscuits & gravy again.

My favorite breakfast is at Waffle House

but its definitely low brow

It's funny that I love pancakes and I love crepes, (I just went out to eat at a local crepes restaurant yesterday. :) ) but for some strange reason I never liked waffles lol

Reminded me of this skit...

Lol I just finished reading the thread posted that said Cracker Barrel was considered racist now and I'm pretty sure (although not a hundred percent certain I admit) that's not what they meant. :badgrin:

Food is good for the mass restaurant chain---fattening, but good except their cornbread--I think they use baking soda instead of baking powder which leaves that bitter nasty taste. Side Salads are big and always fresh with good dressings. And their gimmick is selling merchandise as you gotta walk through the country store to get to the food.

I was just actually going to check what they had at their store because now I'm pretty interested.

Never ate at one or Perkins I can remember.

I remember as a child I would go there (Perkins) for breakfast after church with our church group. :)

The Cracker Barrel in Brevard county down here is popular but it's hit and miss on food preparation. But in general Cracker Barrel is a nice place. I like the stuff in the country store.

What kind of stuff do they have anyways?

It's funny that I love pancakes and I love crepes, (I just went out to eat at a local crepes restaurant yesterday. :) ) but for some strange reason I never liked waffles lol

Lol I just finished reading the thread posted that said Cracker Barrel was considered racist now and I'm pretty sure (although not a hundred percent certain I admit) that's not what they meant. :badgrin:

I was just actually going to check what they had at their store because now I'm pretty interested.

I remember as a child I would go there (Perkins) for breakfast after church with our church group. :)

What kind of stuff do they have anyways?
Everything from rocking chairs to antiques, old-fashioned candy, music CDs, and small little hard-to-find items.

Fuck a two hour drive!!
They're easy to make at home.

I was just thinking about this when I was in the shower since I often go to Texas Roadhouse and they have the best biscuits and gravy. It's sort of like popcorn. Sure you can pop some in your microwave at home, but it isn't half as good as the kind that you can buy at the movies. (Although JohnDB claims that he can replicate it since he never goes to them.)

and small little hard-to-find items.

Like what?

I was just thinking about this when I was in the shower since I often go to Texas Roadhouse and they have the best biscuits and gravy. It's sort of like popcorn. Sure you can pop some in your microwave at home, but it isn't half as good as the kind that you can buy at the movies. (Although JohnDB claims that he can replicate it since he never goes to them.)

Like what?
https://www.crackerbarrel.com/shop/home-furniture :)

Like what?

Screw microwave popcorn. We do it the old fashion way and you can buy the same stuff they use in movie theatre popcorn.

Homemade biscuits and gravy are easy to make and are better or as good as anything you can get in a restaurant. The gravy is the key.
Living in the South you learn to make them at an early age. The Wife doesnt do the cooking in my house because to be honest she kinda sucks at it.
But she can make excellent biscuits and gravy. She also makes Chicken fried deer backstrap and sausage gravy like a pro.

I do have a gas stove....

And there are flames coming out of it are there not? Well,..

marykateolsen-ashleyolsen.gif

I have never been disappointed whenever I am there, but I have yet to hear even one person say that the gravy for their biscuits and gravy is any good.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Like I said before, you haven't lived until you've tried the biscuits and gravy at Texas Roadhouse. ;)

My friend invited me out to breakfast with them next month and I haven't been there in years. They say that they have really good pancakes, and the hot chocolate is to die for! (I just saw on their website that they have cookies and cream. :D) Has anybody eaten their recently? What do you think about it? I was just talking to somebody about it today and they had me thinking I was going crazy because they didn't remember Cracker Barrel having actual barrels full of crackers in their restaurants, but I looked it up directly afterwards and I was sort of amazed to see forty-five of fifty states has them. (I'm guessing that they're probably wrapped inside of them though.) At least I wasn't going crazy after all though. :badgrin:
I went to one in Vegas a few months ago, and it was just ok. My breakfast place of choice in Vegas is the Broken Yolk.

However I discovered a newer Cracker Barrel near my house and it was better than the one in Vegas, but Broken Yolk was better than both Cracker Barrels, plus they have a brunch menu, with Bloody Mary's and Mimosas

Forum List

Back