Cowards

No more cowardly than Cheney and Rumsfeld and their "deferments" during Vietnam. Why should they go? They didn't sign up to the armed forces, they're diplomats, not fighters..

And they are not FIGHTING. they are sent to do diplomatic work. It is part of their contract. They don't want the job? quit. Further no diplomatic officer has died in Iraq. And only 3 employees of any kind of diplomatic service for the US have died there.

Of course with the move to boot Blackwater I can see why they would be worried.

No more cowardly than Cheney and Rumsfeld and their "deferments" during Vietnam. Why should they go? They didn't sign up to the armed forces, they're diplomats, not fighters..

They aren't being asked to fight as far as I can tell. I haven't seen any details on what these 48 vacancies are but, unless you have some information about how many of them are going to be out on the streets in kevlar, I'm going to assume that the majority are desk jobs. Still not risk free by any means but "fighters" is perhaps a bit of a stretch.

I'm not saying Iraq is a picnic. I'm sure there is a degree of fear and I sure as hell wouldn't want to work there. But when you join the diplomatic service you take an oath. When they took that oath they may have had Paris, Rome or Singapore in mind but things don't always work out the way you hope.

I have some sympathy for the role they are being asked to fill. But if you can't live up to the oath you took then the honorable course of action has always been resignation and a job in the private sector.

They can volunteer or not. If not, they can hope enough do to make it moot. Unlikely that is, so they can quit.

I've been faced with similar decisions. Stand fast, quit or suffer the consequenses. I stood fast and it worked out well for me. That's the American way that I believe in!!!!!!!!!!!!

sniff, how were these people to know that when they signed up for "foreign service" they might go to another country, and one they dont like?

sniff, bush hates freedoms.

I agree with both RGS and Grump ...

They shouldn't be forced to serve in Iraq. If that's where the job calls for them to go, they can resign.

I sure as Hell wouldn't want to go to Iraq in a position where I couldn't be armed to the teeth yet had a bullseye on my back and it has nothing to do with cowardice.

I agree with both RGS and Grump ...

They shouldn't be forced to serve in Iraq. If that's where the job calls for them to go, they can resign.

I sure as Hell wouldn't want to go to Iraq in a position where I couldn't be armed to the teeth yet had a bullseye on my back and it has nothing to do with cowardice.

Sure does. They knew the risks when they picked that job as their career. Now they want to whine they may have to be posted to a hot spot. Shut up and either do your job or quit. They have no business publicly bitching about actually being expected to DO THEIR JOB.

Ask for volunteers, but at the end of the day if not enough volunteer, guess what? Someone gets picked to go. The press is on about how this is a bad thing, to damn bad. They can quit or do the damn job they were hired to do.

Sure does. They knew the risks when they picked that job as their career. Now they want to whine they may have to be posted to a hot spot. Shut up and either do your job or quit. They have no business publicly bitching about actually being expected to DO THEIR JOB.

Ask for volunteers, but at the end of the day if not enough volunteer, guess what? Someone gets picked to go. The press is on about how this is a bad thing, to damn bad. They can quit or do the damn job they were hired to do.

I didn't disagree in regards to do the job or quit. I merely pointed out I sure as Hell wouldn't want to go over there as a diplomat, and it has nothing to do with being a coward on my part.

Being an unarmed target in a shooting gallery is not exactly any MOS I ever tried to get, regardless the bonus.;)

I didn't disagree in regards to do the job or quit. I merely pointed out I sure as Hell wouldn't want to go over there as a diplomat, and it has nothing to do with being a coward on my part.

Being an unarmed target in a shooting gallery is not exactly any MOS I ever tried to get, regardless the bonus.;)

However it IS part of the job requirement for these people.

why not send michael moore as a fake diplomat? that way al qaeda wont attack the position. then we can just appoint the real ones to be around and hes the decoy. of course, to keep him from disloyalty and being a traitor to america, we withhold his dunkin donuts every morning to make sure he cooperates.

These people are cowards and a disgrace to the country.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071101/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_iraq_embassy

San Diego, CA – Congressman Duncan Hunter (R-CA) today recommended to President Bush a proposal to replace State Department personnel who refuse to be deployed to Baghdad with wounded veterans from military hospitals at Walter Reed and Bethesda . Hunter, who is currently running for President, went to the White House earlier today and met with President Bush to outline and detail his "Wounded Warrior" project.

"My recommendation to the President was simply that we need people in these positions whose top priorities will be to get the job done regardless of the circumstances and I know which individuals meet those qualifications. Our wounded warriors have already exhibited courage, professionalism and work ethic on the field of battle. They have already answered the call to serve in difficult circumstances and they know firsthand the meaning of sacrifice. If the State Department is having trouble with reluctant personnel, I can think of nobody more qualified than these brave patriots to rise to the challenge.

"State Department recruiters should immediately be sent to Walter Reed and Bethesda hospitals and application forms should be provided and posted on relevant employment websites. As I indicated to the President, I have no doubt our men and women in uniform will once again answer the call of their nation." ~Congressman Duncan Hunter~

I think he is onto something here................

I hope you have the man enough in you to go with him.

San Diego, CA – Congressman Duncan Hunter (R-CA) today recommended to President Bush a proposal to replace State Department personnel who refuse to be deployed to Baghdad with wounded veterans from military hospitals at Walter Reed and Bethesda . Hunter, who is currently running for President, went to the White House earlier today and met with President Bush to outline and detail his "Wounded Warrior" project.

"My recommendation to the President was simply that we need people in these positions whose top priorities will be to get the job done regardless of the circumstances and I know which individuals meet those qualifications. Our wounded warriors have already exhibited courage, professionalism and work ethic on the field of battle. They have already answered the call to serve in difficult circumstances and they know firsthand the meaning of sacrifice. If the State Department is having trouble with reluctant personnel, I can think of nobody more qualified than these brave patriots to rise to the challenge.

"State Department recruiters should immediately be sent to Walter Reed and Bethesda hospitals and application forms should be provided and posted on relevant employment websites. As I indicated to the President, I have no doubt our men and women in uniform will once again answer the call of their nation." ~Congressman Duncan Hunter~

I think he is onto something here................

Bon Voyage'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum List

Back