Could you Be Happy In a Relationship In Which Your Politics are Different?

Bonnie said:
Just wondering if it's that important to you, or if you could just shrug it off??

I think it's a matter of degrees. I can deal with, respect someone who may see some issues different than I, though probably not so easily those involving morals.

I had a very serious relationship from the time I was 18-22, with a one time professor of mine-not while in the class. We both seriously cared for each other, but we were way too polar politically and what we thought were the best ways to 'improve society.' He was 10 years older than myself, smarter by far, needless to say it wasn't a challenge for him to out argue me.

I switched schools for my last year, and met my future husband. The old bf kept in touch with my mom, :shocked: When I got engaged, we went out to dinner to 'celebrate.' A bit wiser, no longer not trying to avoid making him angry, which he never did get angry, we both realized how far apart we were. I think we bothfelt better with that understanding, neither of us were going to change.

He and his wife stayed in the Lincoln bedroom during the Clinton years and actually hosted Clinton at his home during the second campaign. He also made the list of donors at the end of the Clinton reign.

I wish my 'future husband' had been as politically inclined, I think I would have been saved a world of hurt. Definately, a democrat would be preferable to a narcissist of any stripe! :laugh:

Yes. It is not problem for me. Some of my best friends are ultra-conservative and they have no problem with me being so liberal on issues.

In a marriage? No - not if our core-values (from where I feel political opinions are created).

in a Friendship-relationship? Certainly. :)

dmp said:
In a marriage? No - not if our core-values (from where I feel political opinions are created).

in a Friendship-relationship? Certainly. :)

I tend to agree with you and Kathianne, especially if your morals and your politics are inter-twined. I think it's possible but it would create a lot of uneeded friction. I am amazed at people who do though.

Depends on the importance placed on political views, and then also which political views specifically. More than likely, it would probably closely mirror how your political views match up with your views on raising a child/running the family. Political views that aren't directly connected to those two tasks will probably have less bearing on the success of a marriage, unless you're just insane about campaign finance reform or something... :p:

Forum List

Back