Could all Religions Come Together?

no. that can't happen.
Perhaps I should have asked, Despite differing beliefs, how can we make worshiping together happen?

Let's start with the three Abrahamic faiths. How might we come together?

Perhaps I should have asked, Despite differing beliefs, how can we make worshiping together happen?

Sounds kind of John Lennonish...

To many humans involved...

Remember what Jim Morrison and Robbie Krieger said...

1650839264682.png

To many humans involved...
This is an interesting thought. The more there are of us, the further apart we become, possibly not only in religion, but in politics, and education, as well.

I was only a kid when Lennon came up with Imagine. First time I realized that adults could be even greater idiots than kids. His thoughts were based on nothing.

I am asking can all our thoughts come together so that we might worship together despite our very different perspectives?

If so, why wait?

Because we don't choose the time, God does.

According to Revelations, the Anti-Christ will come and set up his Kingdom after the Rapture. After a while, he makes an image (like a statue) and makes it move and talk, and this is what the people worship.

It isn't a good thing, because you're damned to hell if you worship the image or the Beast.

"Could all Religions Come Together?"​

This? I very much doubt. The epistemological paradigms which some spiritual traditions inhabit, seem. . . incompatible with the materialistic oriented traditions. Even the more Gnostic traditions in the west would balk at such notions.

IMO? I think a lot of times, just as partisans can spend so much time in their political echo chambers, so too, can folks spend a great deal of time in their echo chambers when they debate with their own, simply between the dominant religions, and humanists. . . .

Scope/Organization/Main Points:

". .. Chapter 4
Writing from and about the post-war period, Deloria ascertains that both conservative and liberal ideology now refer to “the idea of history” in order to “validate their ideas” (62). In fact, all “Western European identity involves the assumption that time proceeds in a linear fashion,” which Deloria relates to Europeans presuming that they are “the guardians of the world” – an ideology that fostered the Crusades, etc., to the present day (63).

The breakdown of traditional colonial revenue streams is requiring institutions to adapt to “novel situations for which they were not created” (64). In fact, the speeding up on communications, the sharing of information and of good, proclaims “the disappearance of time itself as a limiting factor of our experience. In a world in which communications are nearly instantaneous and simultaneous experiences are possible, it must be spaces and places that distinguish us from one another, not time nor history” (65).
Deloria gives Southern California as an example of different religious groups existing in the same place but appearing to be somehow out of time: “movements are disconnected from a universal passage of time and are a product of the concentration of beliefs as modified by their human and natural environments” (65).

World religions face the problem of their own universality: can they be useful as abstract and mobile principles? These religions, Deloria suggests – the three major religions, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam – are enacted not via their content; rather, “cultural context, time, and place are the major elements of revelation” (66). So even religions that privilege time and a single, linear teleology of revelation are ignorant of how they emerge in situ. For American Indians, context is “all-important for both practice and the understanding of reality. The places where revelations were experienced were remembered and set aside as locations where, through rituals and ceremonials, the people could once again communicate with the spirits.” The three main religions have holy places, but they are valued based on “their historical significance and do not provide the sense of permanency and rootedness that the Indian sacred places represent” (67).

Here is a lengthy quotation about how communal values reflect the particularity of place and context, and how these values run counter to ideologies of progress and linear time: “Rearrangement of individual behavioral patterns is incidental to the communal involvement in ceremonies and the continual renewal of community relationships with the holy places of revelation. Ethics flow from the ongoing life of the community and are virtually indistinguishable from the tribal or communal customs. There is little dependence on the concept of progress either on an individual or community basis as a means of evaluating the impact of the religious practices. Value judgements involve present community realities and not a reliance on part of future golden ages toward which the community is moving or from which the community has veered” (68).

Deloria references Hopi (Arizona) and Lummis (Pacific Northwest) tribal groups, both which have rain dance ceremonies, but for different reasons: the former due to desert conditions of their lands, and the latter to call rains in the event of snowfall that might prevent them from leaving their longhouses (70). I like this as an example of how finding similarities across difference has a spatial element. Deloria notes that American Indians project a sense of “authenticity” (76) that he seems to attribute to the localized and specific character of Indigenous worldviews that he is espousing. . . "

,o1 a-2.jpg

It isn’t possible. Even inside smaller groupings (Protestant, Catholic, Jewish, Islamic, etc…) cannot get agreement or even acceptancebetween their smaller classifications and denominations. Not even in the most epic of moments.

For example, a Lutheran pastor from the greater NYC area was permanently removed from his position and duties after participating in a multi-denominational service post 9/11.

Exodus 20:3 Context​

1And God spake all these words, saying, 2I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. 3Thou shalt have no other gods before me. 4Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: 5Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; 6And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You may worship any god you choose. I will not bother you. That is between you and your god and your God. But. don't ask me to come together with anyone to worship any god other than the One True God.

This? I very much doubt. The epistemological paradigms which some spiritual traditions inhabit, seem. . . incompatible with the materialistic oriented traditions. Even the more Gnostic traditions in the west would balk at such notions.
I enjoyed reading your contribution. I am mulling over whether it is the materialistic oriented traditions that are incompatible.

You may worship any god you choose. I will not bother you. That is between you and your god and your God. But. don't ask me to come together with anyone to worship any god other than the One True God.
One true God, so that is whom we worship, but obviously different perspectives.

Ever thought about how less discipline seems to be a common denominator in our divisions. For example, Jews were a people set apart who were obedient to a set of over six hundred rules/commandments.

Enter Christ and Christianity. All are welcome and people are no longer set apart. Some of the rules are brushed aside, including dietary laws and doing things in a set way throughout the day so that God and thoughts of God are always before one.

The Catholic faith had a strict Sunday observance and a life centered around the Seven Sacraments that Christ either instituted or pointed to. A specified leader ultimately held all parishes and dioceses to the same rituals and observances, the same understanding of scripture.

Next comes the Protestants, doing away with one leader. Sunday observances are optional, and half the Sacraments are brushed aside as well. Everyone can settle on their own understanding of scripture

Now, more and more, we see people separating from organized religion, preferring to be "more spiritual than religious" whatever that means. Or, going to the next step agnostic, perhaps atheism.

We are drawing further and further away from each other. And it appears that trying to draw people together to simply worship God together has everyone seemingly agreeing that we either shouldn't try to come together, or that it is impossible.

Anyone thinking about how we might be able to come together?

It happens already between people of good will. I've experienced it.

I believe part of the difficulty in seeing it are the different perceptions of what it means to worship God.

Forum List

Back