Cosby talks straight

Originally posted by NATO AIR
their leadership sucks horribly, no excuse meant. that's a reality, and the reality is poor leadership= poor people and poor futures.

here's the thing from the 67-93 era though. israel ran the palestinians like a colony. they took out the best and brightest thinkers, co-opted them, exiled them, imprisoned them or in rare cases killed them.

so you're stuck with a lot of guys who are common thugs with luck like arafat. hamas picks up the majority of the social services like education, health and jobs that the PA doesn't do because its corrupt. bush was right on that regard, the PA is a frigging joke. it needs to be overseen by the US and EU, and vetted. probably never happen, but then again neither will the victory for Israel that so many religious and nationalist nutcases in the Likud and its common parties believe in.

After Israel was attacked by a coalition of Arab states in 1967, they treated Palis like a colony. Well, :boohoo: , that is what happens when you start a war and LOSE.

In reality the US, EU, UN, NATO cannot fix places that don't want to be fixed. Sometimes you just have to take them out. Hobbsian, but true.

i'm not crying for the palistinians on the colony thing.. i'm just saying if israelis complain about the lack of sanity and good leadership among the palestinians, they should look no further than their own gov't for that sorry state.. they took the best palestinians from palestinian society.

and no, i don't think that's a just thing. war for land is wrong in the post ww2 world. israel should not be holding onto that land forever. at some point, it should give it back (with a sane palestinian leadership and a peace deal). and if the palestinians had won, i would be up here fighting for an israeli state as well.

i'm not crying for the palistinians on the colony thing.. i'm just saying if israelis complain about the lack of sanity and good leadership among the palestinians, they should look no further than their own gov't for that sorry state.. they took the best palestinians from palestinian society.

and no, i don't think that's a just thing. war for land is wrong in the post ww2 world. israel should not be holding onto that land forever. at some point, it should give it back (with a sane palestinian leadership and a peace deal). and if the palestinians had won, i would be up here fighting for an israeli state as well.

Again, problem is look at the actions. The Palis over and over again have turned down the land return, which is wholly different than the right of return.

that was arafat

c'mon, even they know he's a cod...

it is really frustrating to say the least

Say what you will, but it has been offshoots of his organization that have been wrecking havoc. The people, the one's you think are not behind him, the peaceful ones? Well they know who the terrorists are, they hide them, their weapons, their bombmaking facilities. They dress their children as suicide bombers, and teach hate towards Israel and US on tv, schools, radio, etc.

Really I see no end to this at all....

Just saw this as I move back and forth through news sites:

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/001932.php

July 02, 2004
Cosby Wasn't Just Speaking To Blacks
The news media was buzzing last night as Bill Cosby's caustic address to the Rainbow-PUSH Coalition conference sped around the country. Cosby, who has dropped his normally humorous approach of late and has taken to scolding and shaming audiences, told people that their problems were primarily of their own making, and to quit spouting excuses -- lessons that apply far more broadly than most analysts give Cosby credit. Like most outlets, the AP repeatedly emphasized the ethnicity of the attendees:

Bill Cosby went off on another tirade against the black community Thursday, telling a room full of activists that black children are running around not knowing how to read or write and "going nowhere." He also had harsh words for struggling black men, telling them: "Stop beating up your women because you can't find a job."
Cosby made headlines in May when he upbraided some poor blacks for their grammar and accused them of squandering opportunities the civil rights movement gave them. He shot back Thursday, saying his detractors were trying in vain to hide the black community's "dirty laundry."

"Let me tell you something, your dirty laundry gets out of school at 2:30 every day, it's cursing and calling each other n------ as they're walking up and down the street," Cosby said during an appearance at the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition & Citizenship Education Fund's annual conference.

"They think they're hip," the entertainer said. "They can't read; they can't write. They're laughing and giggling, and they're going nowhere."

And so on; Cosby gave plenty more examples of his point, which was that the degradation of culture began in the homes with the parents. Some of his examples were specifically aimed towards the black community, especially in his tirade against the use of the "n-word", which I find so foul that I refuse to use it even in quotes. Cosby apparently agrees, despite, or perhaps because of, its resurgent popularity:

Cosby lamented that the racial slurs once used by those who lynched blacks are now a favorite expression of black children. And he blamed parents.
"When you put on a record and that record is yelling `n----- this and n----- that' and you've got your little 6-year-old, 7-year-old sitting in the back seat of the car, those children hear that," he said.

I heard more of that part of his speech on the radio, and while I can't quite quote Cosby verbatim, he railed about the popularity of a word created by racists who spent decades stringing black Americans up in trees and burning them out of their homes. But beyond this specific point, Cosby could well have been addressing Nob Hill parents, or the PTA meeting at Beverly Hills High School, and on two levels.

The specific cultural degradations to which Cosby referred -- a lack of emphasis on child-rearing, the abdication of parental responsibilities, and the failure to hold children and teenagers accountable for their education, dress, speech, and behavior apply to all social and ethnic strata in American life today. Go to the mall and see how our sons and daughters dress in public today. The boys look like hoods, dressed in gangsta chic, where beltless pants droop sometimes below the buttocks and ludicrously large shirts overwhelm narrow shoulders. But the boys are only the secondary issue. Our daughters go to the mall dressed in the same outfits streetwalkers wore ten or fifteen years ago, covered in makeup and showing almost as much skin as at the beach. At the rehearsal for my goddaughter's confirmation, many of the girls showed up in that mode of dress -- in church. I'm not talking about 18- or 19-year olds; these were girls as young as 14, and the ones at the mall get younger than that.

Since when did American parents get so comfortable pimping their daughters out to society?

The verbal skills are not much of an improvement, either. Everything Cosby says about black youths and the English language applies to suburban white and Asian youth as well. Perhaps they all get it from the same source -- rap music and the hip-hop culture -- but in any event, it's not an ethnic issue now, if it ever really was. We are raising a generation of verbal illiterates, and I tell you that it's not an affectation. I interview dozens of people a year for jobs, and I hear more and more of what Cosby describes during these meetings. I sit back in wonder that the applicants haven't a clue as to the immediate disqualification that creates for customer-service positions.

People can continue to assume that parental abdication and the degradation of our youth is strictly a problem in the black community. A few will take Cosby's message and use it to bash African-Americans. Even Bill Cosby may have focused on the community closest to his heart in order to wake it up. But we all are deceiving ourselves if we think that his criticisms don't apply to our entire society.

Posted by Captain Ed at July 2, 2004 06:27 AM

i think the author is very right

every angle is on the money

i can't imagine being a teacher (even though i would very much like to one day) right now, because parents these days seem to expect the teacher and the school system to babysit and raise their kids for them

the kid might have the greatest teacher in the world, but he/she comes home too often to a parent who is too interested in their own life and their own problems/wants/needs/desires to notice their kid

and then you got good parents who have to work two-three jobs to put food on the table and provide for their kids, and i can't blame them for not being around near enough for their kids

what a ffffed up situation

i'm not a teacher though, how do you feel?

i think the author is very right

every angle is on the money

i can't imagine being a teacher (even though i would very much like to one day) right now, because parents these days seem to expect the teacher and the school system to babysit and raise their kids for them

the kid might have the greatest teacher in the world, but he/she comes home too often to a parent who is too interested in their own life and their own problems/wants/needs/desires to notice their kid

and then you got good parents who have to work two-three jobs to put food on the table and provide for their kids, and i can't blame them for not being around near enough for their kids

what a ffffed up situation

i'm not a teacher though, how do you feel?

That people should have to take a test before creating life. LOL
Since that is not going to happen, I find it necessary to educate parents in my expectations of them....best defense is a good offense, in nearly EVERY situation.

are they helpful?

do they pay attention to their kids?

do their parenting skills get any better?

the test is a good idea, too bad it'll never happen

are they helpful?

do they pay attention to their kids?

do their parenting skills get any better?

the test is a good idea, too bad it'll never happen

For parents that actually care about their kids, which is the vast majority, yeah it does. Too many nowadays seem to think that kids should not have to do anything, not chores or homework, etc. It is tiring and easier to do the chores yourself than fight with them. Problem is, but jr. high the kids without chores are not doing the homework that is NOW, as opposed to the earlier grades, necessary for them to succeed. So kids start crashing and burning. NOW the parents are ready to listen. Sad but true.

wow.

are there parents who work a lot of hours and find it hard to be with their kids?

I live and teach in DuPage County, pretty wealthy, so the answer is no. I guess there are a few in lower grades, where the parents are in 20's or early 30's that work longer hours, but still the kids are home by 6:30 or so. By the time I have the kids parents are in good shape. I'd say that in my class of 20, there were 8 stay at home moms, one of which was an attorney, another a doctor. Chose to stay home.

i see... good for the kids then

i gave a presentation (of several three years ago) at a middle school in carol city( rough part of miami) about the AIDS crisis in S. Florida and in Africa. pretty attentive class despite your average 8th grade issues.

so i was BSing with the class afterwards, and aside from jokes about needing to be careful about dating a cuban girl (don't cheat on her... you'll regret the temper!) and jokes about stuff i'd experienced in africa, the kids seemed really serious. i told them my parents had been 25 plus years in the army and weren't around much, and they seconded. i ended up asking how many of them had both parents... about six kids out of 29 raised their hands! alright, how many of your parents work? 24 of 29 raised their hands. how many parents work more than one job? 20 of 29 raised their hands. do you get to see your parents enough? 18 of 29 said no. that's gotta be rough, especially when its just your mom or dad (mostly just moms, dad's in jail or gone).

i saw the same thing when i volunteered with the navy at a north chicago high school last year

No doubt, money is an issue. All the more reason to set high expectations for your children. Tell them your aspirations for them, not their career, but that you expect them to go to college, go for scholarship. Do volunteer work or get a job AND maintain grades. The only kids capable of what it takes are those that are taught self-discipline. Have regular chores, a reasonable schedual for homework, activities, sports, etc. That is how kids learn.

yea i remember the kids at n. chicago asking us about our main duties (we're in our training school in great lakes at the time) and we're like "clean, clean, clean, clean, make chief happy so we can go on liberty"... and they're like "oh yea i know all about that, mama makes me wash dishes, clean the house, take the trash out, take my lil bro/lil sis somewhere, etc etc, because she's gotta be at work so we can eat and have clothes on our backs and a roof over our heads... their independence really impressed me. then you got your kids whose parent/ parents don't care, and you can tell right off the back with a lot of them.

oh well, good luck teaching, that's probably not the easiest job in the world, even in a wealthy school district.

yea i remember the kids at n. chicago asking us about our main duties (we're in our training school in great lakes at the time) and we're like "clean, clean, clean, clean, make chief happy so we can go on liberty"... and they're like "oh yea i know all about that, mama makes me wash dishes, clean the house, take the trash out, take my lil bro/lil sis somewhere, etc etc, because she's gotta be at work so we can eat and have clothes on our backs and a roof over our heads... their independence really impressed me. then you got your kids whose parent/ parents don't care, and you can tell right off the back with a lot of them.

oh well, good luck teaching, that's probably not the easiest job in the world, even in a wealthy school district.

Easy, no. Fun and inspiring, yes!

It is because school teachers are racist towards blacks.

When are we going to get rid of all these "racist" teachers in our public school system?

Under the Savannah-Chatham County Schools Student Code of Conduct, rude language might warrant a time out, but derogatory language can get a student suspended for five days. A fight could result in detention but battery is punishable by expulsion.

In the 2003/2004 school year, Savannah-Chatham County Schools suspended 4,321 students and 2,276 of them were black males. The district expelled a total of 178 students and 122 of them were black males.

Although they make up about a third of the student population, black males accounted for 53 percent of all suspensions and 69 percent of all expulsions.

This year, 1,309 Savannah-Chatham County elementary school students were suspended and 11 were expelled. Black males accounted for 60 percent of the elementary school suspensions and 82 percent of those expelled.

The district's 11 middle schools suspended 1,633 students and expelled 40. About 53 percent of those suspended and 75 percent of those expelled were black males.

On the high school level, black males accounted for 45 percent of the 1,379 suspensions and 58 percent of the 127 expulsions.

http://www.savannahnow.com/stories/062804/2266797.shtml

Big D there is no point to your post that is relevant.

Someone like Cosby was EXACTLY where the message that blacks need to stop making excuses and start making an effort had to come from. This is an excelent start. I just hope what he has started doesn't die off as a one shot deal.

He is exactly right about everything.

Originally posted by Kathianne
Big D there is no point to your post that is relevant.

The only relevance may have been stats as to how poorly blacks do academically, which would support Cosby's remarks.

Forum List

Back