Cosby talks straight

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon
Now this is some absolutely honest advice

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=494&e=1&u=/ap/cosby_comments

I can't even talk the way these people talk, 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... and I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk," Cosby said then. "And then I heard the father talk ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth."

The above is just one of the things he said. Quite true, when I recieved my degree one had to learn the language of the degree and could not speak slang. The school I went to, all people had to learn to speak educated, and they all did, no matter your background (even the deep southerner I knew, that belonged to no so called minority group).

Check it out, what ya think?

Originally posted by Yurt
Now this is some absolutely honest advice

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=494&e=1&u=/ap/cosby_comments

I can't even talk the way these people talk, 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... and I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk," Cosby said then. "And then I heard the father talk ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth."

The above is just one of the things he said. Quite true, when I recieved my degree one had to learn the language of the degree and could not speak slang. The school I went to, all people had to learn to speak educated, and they all did, no matter your background (even the deep southerner I knew, that belonged to no so called minority group).

Check it out, what ya think?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by nycflasher
His wife would probably disagree.:p:

Having children with other women might have pissed her off a bit :D

He's right though, my friends daughter says things like "her baby daddy", and "where you at?". I feel like slapping her up-side the head :D

he's right, and you notice from the numerous interruptions of applause that there are elements in the black community that agree

what can i say? i went to a historically black university in NC, NC A&T, and you could see the tension between the generations.

a lot of younger black people (the ones in college or graduated) feel betrayed by cosby's generation... after all they say, where were you when our parents gave in to crack and other drugs? when our neighborhoods were economically destroyed?

so there's right and wrong on both sides, but it is good that cosby is airing out the community's dirty laundry... communication can only help alleivate the problem, not make it worse.

in this problem at least

Originally posted by NATO AIR

so there's right and wrong on both sides, but it is good that cosby is airing out the community's dirty laundry... communication can only help alleivate the problem, not make it worse.

in this problem at least

Yeah, I think that's the point.
Change doesn't come from not discussing things.
People won't value education/language unless people they respect explain the importance of them.

IMO

Naw 'm sayin'?

Nooooooo.... I can't BELIEVE the way you people are dissin' EBONICS!!

Here all along I've been thinking it's a legitimate dialect. :D

It is true though. I even hear black comedians from time to time when they're telling their racist jokes about whitey, all of a sudden they can turn it off and talk perfect english mocking how whites talk. Thing is, most blacks don't WANT to speak proper english. Proper english is for whitey, not blacks.

Originally posted by NATO AIR
he's right, and you notice from the numerous interruptions of applause that there are elements in the black community that agree

what can i say? i went to a historically black university in NC, NC A&T, and you could see the tension between the generations.

a lot of younger black people (the ones in college or graduated) feel betrayed by cosby's generation... after all they say, where were you when our parents gave in to crack and other drugs? when our neighborhoods were economically destroyed?

in this problem at least

Actually listening to the cuts today, it was muffled applause for the good parts. 1 or 2 people were clapping when he said that people need to look in the mirror, but everyone clapped when he said "I don't care what white people think of me." So its not as many as you think.

When many black memebers consider Condaleeza Rice and Colon Powell to be Race traitors, then you know there is still a major problem of racisim within the black community.

I watched a substantial portion of B. Cosby's dissertation. Seems to me that his admonissions do not apply solely to black parents. Most of what he said can be applied to parents and children of all ethnic persuasions. An illiterate punk is no more or less palatable if he is white, black hispanic or asian.

The thing I really loved during Cosby's speech was watching Jesse Jackson trying to keep a straight face. The man looked like someone had shoved a really bad lemon in his mouth and a 2x4 up his butt.

Originally posted by nycflasher
His wife would probably disagree.:p:

Probably right. waking up to him giving the kids chocolate cake probably makes her think he is very stupid sometimes lol

Originally posted by insein
Actually listening to the cuts today, it was muffled applause for the good parts. 1 or 2 people were clapping when he said that people need to look in the mirror, but everyone clapped when he said "I don't care what white people think of me." So its not as many as you think.

When many black memebers consider Condaleeza Rice and Colon Powell to be Race traitors, then you know there is still a major problem of racisim within the black community.

I dont think the applause was as muffled as you think. I know when Rush was playing the clips he said they had to filter out some of the applause to get the sound better. im willing to bet if they did other places did as well.

Originally posted by Merlin1047
I watched a substantial portion of B. Cosby's dissertation. Seems to me that his admonissions do not apply solely to black parents. Most of what he said can be applied to parents and children of all ethnic persuasions. An illiterate punk is no more or less palatable if he is white, black hispanic or asian.

The thing I really loved during Cosby's speech was watching Jesse Jackson trying to keep a straight face. The man looked like someone had shoved a really bad lemon in his mouth and a 2x4 up his butt.

And then Jesse had the gall to tell those who were upset by Cosbys' speech something close to " don't worry--all he was saying is that we need to try harder". What a put down !

Originally posted by Avatar4321
I dont think the applause was as muffled as you think. I know when Rush was playing the clips he said they had to filter out some of the applause to get the sound better. im willing to bet if they did other places did as well.

Glenn beck played the whole thing. 1 person clapped at the mirror comment.

i might get flamed for this but to hell with it

i won't get into my past, whether it was living in an african-american neighborhood, going to an african-american college, etc etc... but i do think that plays a role in how i feel and how i see all this

the black community has my full and total sympathy. they had fantastic, incredible leaders that america should be proud to hold in its rich history... martin luther king jr, malcom x, medger evers, etc etc. after their deaths though, many of the other remaining leaders became hollow and shadows of their former selves. can you imagine seeing all your leaders, all your inspirations, killed? bobby kennedy was probably the last straw, even though he rightfully has as many and possibly more admirers from the other end of the political and cultural spectrums.

the war on poverty, which if planned and executed properly, could have suceeded on some scale, especially if it had done what bobby kennedy said it should "give people a hand up, not a hand out". instead it failed miserably and raised false hopes, then vietnam hit. now after vietnam is over, and a whole generation of black men come back home, haunted (like their fellow brothers in arms) and disillusioned. then you've got crack that comes in and rips the community apart (i've heard some very conservative ministers and social workers admit that most of america does not fully appreciate the destruction crack caused)...

all this, along with a nation that imprisions its drug offenders (drug selling is wrong and should be a prison punishment), how many fathers and mothers and sons and daughters are in jail serving lengthy sentences for using drugs?

so yea, the black community has got to stop making excuses for itself. and yea, they've got to start raising their kids better. and yea, they've got to raise themselves out of their problems. but look at the recent history. any group of people would have a difficult time with that. eventually, i think there will be great positive change in the black community, but its going to take a while, and these young guys (like that illinois senator candidate and some of the good young black politicians) and gals are gonna need a bit more time.

same thing goes for the palestinians, they haven't had a great leader in decades, if ever. they're stuck with arafat and hamas, that's a fantastic choice ain't it? they're gonna need time too, and its good the israelis aren't just standing still, waiting for them.

Your 'naivete' may be expected given your background. What's funny is we always seem to start off on this footing, then end up with some agreement, doesn't that strike you too? It could possibly be that most people that seem 'right' to you are not bigots or blindly following any group or idealistic philosophy, but rather think things through logically.

The problems for blacks certainly didn't start with the War on Poverty or Vietnam, though the poor certainly and wrongly were over represented in that conflict. Since the 1964 Civil Rights Legislation, blacks have had growing opportunities to make it in this country. Many have, if those that haven't would follow the logic in what Cosby has been saying, many more would too. The War on Poverty was a fiasco of the nth degree, leading too many into a circle of state dependence, from which it was almost impossible to break. This is a core group of the Democratic Party, which is why that party now finds itself arguing against what its leaders know is right for the country.

Your analogy of the Palestinians to the situation of Black Americans, well I can't get a handle on that. Much further away than just apples and oranges.

well in the past year i've grown more aware that more often than not, those on the right of the political spectrum are correct. i may blindly label those on the right to be ignorant or cruel, i'm wrong.. there is considerable ignorance on the right, as well as on the left. its called extremism, but its not the whole group.. i need to remember that.

i mentioned about the minsters and social workers because for them, it was a watershed moment. they saw through the political idealogy and saw the reality.

that's what many of us are now experiencing now. seeing through the political idealogy of ourselves and of others, and seeing the reality.

i won't lie, you're right more times than i am. and my centrist philosophy is losing steam day by day.

yea i am naive. i still got a little bit of idealism left, but not much.
give me time.

my analogy of the palestinians and blacks is this: both have had horrible or no leadership in the past 30-40 years. peoples with good/great leadership make strides, like the Eastern Europeans, the South Africans, the people of Singapore and India.

peoples with poor leadership remain in bad condition or lackluster shape: chechens, iraqis (not any more hopefully), iranians, pakistanis, etc etc.

The fact that you think their leadership is poor, which I agree with, doesn't mean it doesn't exist, though we wish it was different. Check out what the Palestinians are doing, seriously. There is no movement towards peace, just more 'militancy' without a state. This is their history, from which they show no sign of changing. Always have to look at action, not talk, not excuses and lamentations. They get pity, money, but no state, which they don't really seem to want, if they refuse a piece. They are not going to get it all.

their leadership sucks horribly, no excuse meant. that's a reality, and the reality is poor leadership= poor people and poor futures.

here's the thing from the 67-93 era though. israel ran the palestinians like a colony. they took out the best and brightest thinkers, co-opted them, exiled them, imprisoned them or in rare cases killed them.

so you're stuck with a lot of guys who are common thugs with luck like arafat. hamas picks up the majority of the social services like education, health and jobs that the PA doesn't do because its corrupt. bush was right on that regard, the PA is a frigging joke. it needs to be overseen by the US and EU, and vetted. probably never happen, but then again neither will the victory for Israel that so many religious and nationalist nutcases in the Likud and its common parties believe in.

Forum List

Back