copy/paste

Mine just started.
Same here. It seems to be a recent problem for all of us. They must have changed something on the board or firefox with an update recently.

At least one MOD was in here - can a MOD tell us if there is a way to report this and/or if this is something that would warrant an actual fix?

I have Chrome and I'm having the same problem with copying and pasting text.
Really?

You are the only person that seems to have the issue while running chrome thus far. If there are more than the issue might be a little deeper than I thought.

Ok
Mine just started.
Same here. It seems to be a recent problem for all of us. They must have changed something on the board or firefox with an update recently.

At least one MOD was in here - can a MOD tell us if there is a way to report this and/or if this is something that would warrant an actual fix?

I'm starting to wonder if it's the site we are copying from. CNN was a problem. I posted the same information from the Daily Caller. Still a problem. I usually don't post from them. I just posted from the Star and had no problem.

Ok
Mine just started.

I'm starting to wonder if it's the site we are copying from. CNN was a problem. I posted the same information from the Daily Caller. Still a problem. I usually don't post from them. I just posted from the Star and had no problem.
I have the issue no matter where I copy from EXCEPT MS Word. That has been my current workaround - copy the thread I am breaking up into word and then make changes. Copy/paste it all back into the thread when done. Any source within the browser fails.

It might be a formatting issue. The web browser does not recognize the format that is used but still tries to past it into the window as the new site format allows pasting formatted text directly into the response.

Ok
Mine just started.

Definitely not the source -- it's some issue within this site. It happens to me when the text I've lifted comes from the same page, or even right within the same text box. It happened just now when I inadvertently started to post and then noticed I was posting inside the quotee's post, so I cut it out of there and dropped it below where it belongs--- didn't show up. Pasted again, nothing. I had to post what looked like a blank post and go back and edit the redundant line and finish the rest of the post.

That sucks if you have to go to the trouble of working in Word and then transferring, but if you go ahead and make the post, knowing there will be repeats and stuff you can't see, it should be editable on the next go-round.

Wish they'd fix this.

Mine just started.

Prolly should have been in "Announcements and Feedback" but we can always beckon cereal_killer

Ok
Mine just started.

Definitely not the source -- it's some issue within this site. It happens to me when the text I've lifted comes from the same page, or even right within the same text box. It happened just now when I inadvertently started to post and then noticed I was posting inside the quotee's post, so I cut it out of there and dropped it below where it belongs--- didn't show up. Pasted again, nothing. I had to post what looked like a blank post and go back and edit the redundant line and finish the rest of the post.

That sucks if you have to go to the trouble of working in Word and then transferring, but if you go ahead and make the post, knowing there will be repeats and stuff you can't see, it should be editable on the next go-round.

Wish they'd fix this.
You can also press F-5. that refreshes the page and causes pasted quotes to pop back in. You have to do that after every paste though.

Ok
Mine just started.

Wish they'd fix this.
You can also press F-5. that refreshes the page and causes pasted quotes to pop back in. You have to do that after every paste though.

Say, there's a useful tip.

Now I'm going to cut that and re-paste it....

hmmm... sure enough it disappeared when I cut and tried to re-paste and sure enough when I refreshed the page it showed up again. But all F5 did for me was disable my touch pad mouse. I usually just hit the refresh icon next to the address bar anyway.

Ok
Mine just started.

Wish they'd fix this.

Now I'm going to cut that and re-paste it....

hmmm... sure enough it disappeared when I cut and tried to re-paste and sure enough when I refreshed the page it showed up again. But all F5 did for me was disable my touch pad mouse. I usually just hit the refresh icon next to the address bar anyway.
Laptop. I assume that you have a function attached to that key that is specific to your make/model. On almost any desktop all F5 does in a browser is refresh the page. The same thing that clicking on the button did for you with less movement when you are typing. You might want to stick with the button :D

Can't replicate the issue on my end either, but it sounds like a caching issue...

Here's a possible solution:
  • Log out of USMB
  • Navigate away from USMB
  • Clean out cookies/cache/temp internet files from browser (VERY IMPORTANT STEP DO NOT SKIP)
  • Reboot machine
  • Log back into USMB
Report back if it solves your problem(s)

Really?

You are the only person that seems to have the issue while running chrome thus far. If there are more than the issue might be a little deeper than I thought.

I haven't tried it yet today but the last time I tried to copy and paste, it didn't appear for me, and I tried it three times. I just ended up posting the link alone instead. Weird. Also I noticed when I copied it (I could see it in my reply box but it wouldn't appear when I posted it), it was all inside white boxes. ??? Don't know what the problem could be.

Really?

I haven't tried it yet today but the last time I tried to copy and paste, it didn't appear for me, and I tried it three times. I just ended up posting the link alone instead. Weird. Also I noticed when I copied it (I could see it in my reply box but it wouldn't appear when I posted it), it was all inside white boxes. ??? Don't know what the problem could be.

Cereal_Killer posted a suggestion above. It sounds plausible. I haven't tried it yet because signing out, cleaning caches and then trying to reconstruct all my passwords scares the shit outta me. I might try signing in with another browser instead.

Really?

Cereal_Killer posted a suggestion above. It sounds plausible. I haven't tried it yet because signing out, cleaning caches and then trying to reconstruct all my passwords scares the shit outta me. I might try signing in with another browser instead.

I just copied and pasted something in the Coffee Shop and it worked fine. :) I don't know what the problem was, but it didn't happen until after I updated my computer. Maybe that had something to do with it, I don't really know.

Really?

Are you still having a problem with this today, Pogo?

Really?

Yup. But I haven't done anything to address it yet.
Don't know --- haven't really been online gettin' busy with other things. Let's try it out....

These two lines ^^ ended up in reverse order because once the pasted text is invisible you can't skip a line to post under it.

Really?

Don't know --- haven't really been online gettin' busy with other things. Let's try it out....

These two lines ^^ ended up in reverse order because once the pasted text is invisible you can't skip a line to post under it.

I'm going to try copying text from CNN. I already see that it is surrounded by white boxes, so it is probably not going to show up at all.

(CNN)It was bound to happen sometime -- the return of winter to the Northeast. It is January, after all.
It's three weeks into the new year, and a major snowstorm is brewing. It could make life miserable for some 50 million people in the Northeast.
So, Washington -- how does 2 feet of snow sound? Hey, New York and Boston -- you could wake up to 12 inches of powder on Saturday. But will this monster of a storm even happen?

Really?

I'm going to try copying text from CNN. I already see that it is surrounded by white boxes, so it is probably not going to show up at all.

(CNN)It was bound to happen sometime -- the return of winter to the Northeast. It is January, after all.
It's three weeks into the new year, and a major snowstorm is brewing. It could make life miserable for some 50 million people in the Northeast.
So, Washington -- how does 2 feet of snow sound? Hey, New York and Boston -- you could wake up to 12 inches of powder on Saturday. But will this monster of a storm even happen?

Oh, it worked! Yay! :D

Can't replicate the issue on my end either, but it sounds like a caching issue...

Here's a possible solution:
  • Log out of USMB
  • Navigate away from USMB
  • Clean out cookies/cache/temp internet files from browser (VERY IMPORTANT STEP DO NOT SKIP)
  • Reboot machine
  • Log back into USMB
Report back if it solves your problem(s)

So here is what's going on;

Most people don't like ads. The more sophisticated users turned to adblockers to stop the incessant spamming of ads at this and other sites. These are also the people that are most likely to use Chrome or an alternative browser. My research shows that ad streams have become predatory and are targeting browsers using ad blocking. Not just here, but at sites like Forbes and the Washington post as well.

You can test this easily, install a tool like Adblock+, then note that copy paste functions are erratic or openly fail. Disable the ad blocker and notice that the functions suddenly work again.

This is predatory advertising crossing over into malware.

Forum List

Back