copy/paste

Can't replicate the issue on my end either, but it sounds like a caching issue...

Here's a possible solution:
  • Log out of USMB
  • Navigate away from USMB
  • Clean out cookies/cache/temp internet files from browser (VERY IMPORTANT STEP DO NOT SKIP)
  • Reboot machine
  • Log back into USMB
Report back if it solves your problem(s)

So here is what's going on;

Most people don't like ads. The more sophisticated users turned to adblockers to stop the incessant spamming of ads at this and other sites. These are also the people that are most likely to use Chrome or an alternative browser. My research shows that ad streams have become predatory and are targeting browsers using ad blocking. Not just here, but at sites like Forbes and the Washington post as well.

You can test this easily, install a tool like Adblock+, then note that copy paste functions are erratic or openly fail. Disable the ad blocker and notice that the functions suddenly work again.

This is predatory advertising crossing over into malware.

Hmm. Interesting. I do have Chrome's Ad Block Plus installed. Pogo, do you have an ad blocker installed?

Can't replicate the issue on my end either, but it sounds like a caching issue...

• Log out of USMB
  • Clean out cookies/cache/temp internet files from browser (VERY IMPORTANT STEP DO NOT SKIP)
  • Reboot machine
  • Log back into USMB

Most people don't like ads. The more sophisticated users turned to adblockers to stop the incessant spamming of ads at this and other sites. These are also the people that are most likely to use Chrome or an alternative browser. My research shows that ad streams have become predatory and are targeting browsers using ad blocking. Not just here, but at sites like Forbes and the Washington post as well.

You can test this easily, install a tool like Adblock+, then note that copy paste functions are erratic or openly fail. Disable the ad blocker and notice that the functions suddenly work again.

I run ad block and can say with certainty that your statements do not apply here. There are no important functions that require ad block to be turned off for the forums to work. Simply not true.

• Log out of USMB
  • Reboot machine
  • Log back into USMB

I'm running AdBlock too, and I haven't had any cut and paste problems.

I wasn't having problems (but I haven't been posting much) until after I ran an update for windows. That's when I noticed I had problems copying and pasting. It used to be when I copied and pasted, only the text would come out. Now, when I copy and paste, I notice the text is surrounded by white boxes. The site seemed a little bogged down yesterday, but that could have been my computer too.

The only problem I seem to have had today is having to click on reply more than one time to get it to post for me, but not every time, only some of the time.

• Log out of USMB
  • Reboot machine
  • Log back into USMB

I do not use an ad blocker and have the issue.

I have also tried the solution that was previously stated and it did not work. Interestingly enough, it did address some of the problem though. I can now copy/paste from other tabs into this one. I still cannot copy and paste a statement from the reply box in itself. I can copy things in this box and place them in other locations (like the address bar or another reply box on another site).

Really?

You are the only person that seems to have the issue while running chrome thus far. If there are more than the issue might be a little deeper than I thought.

I haven't tried it yet today but the last time I tried to copy and paste, it didn't appear for me, and I tried it three times. I just ended up posting the link alone instead. Weird. Also I noticed when I copied it (I could see it in my reply box but it wouldn't appear when I posted it), it was all inside white boxes. ??? Don't know what the problem could be.

Cereal_Killer posted a suggestion above. It sounds plausible. I haven't tried it yet because signing out, cleaning caches and then trying to reconstruct all my passwords scares the shit outta me. I might try signing in with another browser instead.

Are you still having a problem with this today, Pogo?

Yup. But I haven't done anything to address it yet.
Don't know --- haven't really been online gettin' busy with other things. Let's try it out....

These two lines ^^ ended up in reverse order because once the pasted text is invisible you can't skip a line to post under it.

I'm going to try copying text from CNN. I already see that it is surrounded by white boxes, so it is probably not going to show up at all.

(CNN)It was bound to happen sometime -- the return of winter to the Northeast. It is January, after all.
It's three weeks into the new year, and a major snowstorm is brewing. It could make life miserable for some 50 million people in the Northeast.
So, Washington -- how does 2 feet of snow sound? Hey, New York and Boston -- you could wake up to 12 inches of powder on Saturday. But will this monster of a storm even happen?

I haven't seen it happen with material sourced from outside --- only from within USMB. Usually if typing in this box and I decide I don't want this content "here" I want it down or up, so I cut.... and then it's gone. Seems to be related to whatever the board software is doing to remember (save) what you're typing.

And yes I'm running AdBlock since way before this started, though sometimes I have to disable it to see images people post. I've never seen AdBlock have any effect, I think CK's right about that.

Edit -- interestingly this entire post was invisible a moment ago --- I had somehow posted within ChrisL's text (that keeps happening too, don't know why) so I was within the quotation --- when I went back to drag it out of there and put it where it belongs after the close-quote, it was entirely blank on my screen, yet it posted OK.

Last edited:
Happens to me also. Not running any adblock on Firefox.

I'll copy something and can't paste it back in. Cannot paste it into some other things, such as my email client, but it will paste into a word processor, in my case Open Office writer.

I haven't noticed it anywhere else to this point.

PITA.

I'll copy something and can't paste it back in. Cannot paste it into some other things, such as my email client, but it will paste into a word processor, in my case Open Office writer.

PITA.

So I just copied your last line and placed it here, and not only did it disappear but everything I'm typing right now is invisible too.

(^^ had to come back and edit that into English to correct all the mis-strokes)

Whatever it is it seems that what we copy IS in our clipboard but the USMB board software just won't admit that it is. Until it's posted.

PITA.

Sp O jist copied your last line and placed it here, and not only did it disappear but everything I'm tyo[ing right now is ivisle too.

Yep, the invisible typing thing has happened to me also.

I'll also try to paste, won't see it, paste it again and have things then show up twice.

As indicated my workaround has been to paste the text into my word processor, edit, then copy/paste back here. Works, but clunky.

Forum List

Back