Cooking for a crowd

home made party subs kick ass....have several made up and wrapped.....you can do them all the night before...do them yourself....and clean up is easy...served on paper plates or just paper towels....dont worry about a side...have a dessert.....you can never go wrong with banana pudding ....or small cakes....o those are called cupcakes

I need to make dinner for about 20 kids. It needs to be cheap, portable and make ahead. I have spent half of my afternoon looking at recipes. I found a couple but what do you folks do when cooking for a crowd?

Make a salad with something crunchy in it. ( no frog legs)

That I think I am going to do. I have a 7 layer salad with a dressing that will solve the problem of having to buy five bottles of dressings.

A 7 layer salad? wow. I cant imagine what that looks like, sounds impressive though! 5 bottles of dressing? what is this? the high school sumo wrestling team?

Did you get the list of vegetarians, vegans, and allergies yet? Better secure a copy before you cement your menu.

I take and send buckets of food for my kids' sports and summer activities. One of the most successful is plain cheap bread, sliced cheese (smoked gouda freaking pastureized cheese food...cheap version comes in packets at any grocery store...also provolone).Sliced deli ham, sliced deli turkey, baloney, I don't even do lettuce it just makes a mess. Pickles, onions, mustard, mayo in squeeze bottles. Chicken in a biscuit crackers, grapes, and cookies.

But honestly, the spaghetti is easier. Fewer ingredients, easier to serve...you just cut in squares and put it on a paper plate. Give them salad, ranch dressing, parmesan and toast, they're good.

home made party subs kick ass....have several made up and wrapped.....you can do them all the night before...do them yourself....and clean up is easy...served on paper plates or just paper towels....dont worry about a side...have a dessert.....you can never go wrong with banana pudding ....or small cakes....o those are called cupcakes
If you want subway sandwiches then it is much easier just getting them all at your local sandwich shop.

I need to make dinner for about 20 kids. It needs to be cheap, portable and make ahead. I have spent half of my afternoon looking at recipes. I found a couple but what do you folks do when cooking for a crowd?

Frog legs are a delicacy which I have seen at some high end groceries a time or two. You can get them at a high end deli too.

They taste best grilled not fried.

They taste like chicken wings only bigger and with a more reptile taste.

If you want subway sandwiches then it is much easier just getting them all at your local sandwich shop.
And it costs about 1000 dollars lol

Buckets of KFC work well for teens also.
I took buckets of legs and thighs to a family reunion this year, almost all the thighs came back lol. Legs are always good...

And that would be another good thing....shake n bake a crapload of legs. You can get big packages of them for less than a dollar a pound.

That I think I am going to do. I have a 7 layer salad with a dressing that will solve the problem of having to buy five bottles of dressings.

A 7 layer salad? wow. I cant imagine what that looks like, sounds impressive though! 5 bottles of dressing? what is this? the high school sumo wrestling team?

I was thinking 7 layer dip. What I meant was a layered salad. If you figure lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, a yellow or orange bell pepper, celery then it isn't all that. A layer of shredded cheese and cover the top with a home made dressing. It sits over night then you mix it up. It makes a lot.

Potluck meatballs

Prepackaged meat balls ( 4 small or two large)
32 oz jar Grape jelly
2 12 oz Jars chili sauce.

On stove combine jelly and chili sauce. Cook until smooth pour over the meatballs in crockpot and warm.

Pasta salad.

Pasta
Cucumbers, tomatoes,olives, bell pepper (diced).

Italian dressing to taste.

Queso and chips

Block velveeta cheese (cut up in cubes)
2 cans strewed tomatoes with green chili.
1pound cooked hamburger

Warm in crock pot

Last edited:
Another thing you can cook in a crock pot

Hot dogs

Side dishs

Baked beans
Potato salad
Cole slaw (they have a good kit in Walmart's fresh veggie isle.) or really...any grocery store.

Last edited:

I was thinking 7 layer dip. What I meant was a layered salad. If you figure lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, a yellow or orange bell pepper, celery then it isn't all that. A layer of shredded cheese and cover the top with a home made dressing. It sits over night then you mix it up. It makes a lot.

sounds good to me, maybe add some bacon or crumble up some taco shells on top

Potluck meatballs

Prepackaged meat balls ( 4 small or two large)
32 oz jar Grape jelly
2 12 oz Jars chili sauce.

On stove combine jelly and chili sauce. Cook until smooth pour over the meatballs in crockpot and warm.

Pasta salad.

Pasta
Cucumbers, tomatoes,olives, bell pepper (diced).

Italian dressing to taste.

Queso and chips

Block velveeta cheese (cut up in cubes)
2 cans strewed tomatoes with green chili.
1pound cooked hamburger

Warm in crock pot

Lets do it. We going to have this at the USMB family reunion?

Ok. I did sub sandwiches and this Frito Corn Salad and a back up potato salad in case that was horrible.
The Perfect Potluck Salad - Easy Peasy Pleasy

I got a text saying the above salad was actually pretty good.
One down. Two more to go and then I would like to kick myself for signing up for anything else. Ever.

Forum List

Back