Consumer sentiment tumbles as inflation fears surge

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Consumer sentiment slumped as inflation expectations rose, despite otherwise strong signals in the economy, according to a closely watched survey released Friday.

The University of Michigan Survey of Consumers sentiment index for May posted an initial reading of 67.4 for the month, down from 77.2 in April and well off the Dow Jones consensus call for 76. The move represented a one-month decline of 12.7% but a year-over-year gain of 14.2%.

Along with the downbeat sentiment measure, the outlook for inflation across the one- and five-year horizons increased.

The one-year outlook jumped to 3.5%, up 0.3 percentage point from a month ago to the highest level since November.

Also, the five-year outlook rose to 3.1%, an increase of just 0.1 percentage point but reversing a trend of lower readings in the past few months, also to the highest since November.

“While consumers had been reserving judgment for the past few months, they now perceive negative developments on a number of dimensions,” said Joanne Hsu, the survey’s director. “They expressed worries that inflation, unemployment and interest rates may all be moving in an unfavorable direction in the year ahead.”

For the TLDR folks:

- Inflation is 3.5%, almost double the FED's target.
Mortgage rates may rise even higher.
- Consumer Sentiment is almost 10% lower than last month. Consumers are losing confidence.

I swear, these so-called "economists" the leftist dems employ have to be actually retarded or so out of touch to not understand “consumer sentiment”. Hell they hire people that are music majors.

Sure we are beside ourselves with glee that inflation maybe, might be, kinda sorta be, cooling down a bit but it piles on each quarter nonetheless.

In reality, a few tech companies and government spending/hiring are what is driving what little growth exists.

Buying groceries, houses, cars, whatever is a nightmare for folks of more modest means that are not on the EBT/Section 8.....How's that for "sentiment" you leftist clowns?

How are you doing personally?

Are you suffering?

Are you able to buy food and pay for your gas?

Are you suffering?

Yeah. I'm doing well. That's not the point. The point is MOST Americans aren't.

Most Americans are lower middle class.....and thanks to Joey bribem, they are turning into the poor class.

Ignore that at your peril.

Yeah. I'm doing well. That's not the point. The point is MOST Americans aren't.

Most Americans are lower middle class.....and thanks to Joey bribem, they are turning into the poor class.

Ignore that at your peril.

What peril?

What happens when people can't feed their children?

I know it's hard for your tiny little brain, but try.

Read a history book or two.

So, the people will rise up and throw off the duopoly.

Sounds great!

Monopoly, retard. There is no duopoly, take your buddy gipper and learn something.

Damn, dude read a book sometime.

A duopoly is a situation where two companies/entities together own all, or nearly all, of the market for a given product or service.

Damn, dude read a book sometime.

A duopoly is a situation where two companies/entities together own all, or nearly all, of the market for a given product or service.
I've read more books than you ever will. You "duopoly" retards are almost as stupid as the peak oilers.

Are you suffering?

I'm doing just fine thank you very much....But I also realize that due to FJB's reckless spending (FJB signed the spending Bills) my dollar does not go as near far as it did just four years ago.

Under the leftist dems the dollar has 21% less buying power than the same dollar did in 2020.

Now I'm sure the leftist dem music major "economist" would go through gyrations on why that is and you would agree with him but the bottom line is that anyone can use the same tool I posted and get a snapshot of the dire predicament we find ourselves in.

FJB

Forum List

Back