Conservative Assault on Civil Liberties in Florida

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by C_Clayton_Jones, May 6, 2011.

1. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    BS – it’s an assault on the poor and designed to discourage those who don’t use drugs from applying for benefits because of the cost and intrusive nature of the testing.

Just as in Michigan over a decade ago, drug testing in Florida is a violation of one’s 4th Amendment right to be free from unwarranted searches. In Marchwinski v. Howard, 2000, the US District Court, E.D. Michigan, Northern Division ruled:

2. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    Cry me a fucking river you whiny little douse bag.

It long over due that working people stop supporting the drug habits of people on welfare.

fyi; welfare is a privileged, not a right.

3. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    First they came for the WELFARE CASES, but I was not on welfare so I did not speak up...

Many of you folks really cannot see how the demonization of drugs and the police state are really connected, can you?

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,009
    Still pissed you got busted ehh?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,070
    1. You seem to have a misunderstanding of the term 'conservative.' In your lexicon is means, I suppose, any view that is not authentically liberal or progressive.
    Actually, it refers to a belief in, among other things, the liberty and freedom of the individual.
    An individual is free not to take a drug test, and to decline welfare benefits.
    America provides beau-coup charitable benefits not tied to governmental programs.

a. Since the definition of 'liberal,' according to Dennis Prager, is 'good intentions plus coercion equals solution,' it seems that you are in favor of wringing funds out of the taxpayer to support drug use.
    So, you are liberal?

2. From your link: "...to pay for the tests, which are typically around $35."
    This seems hardly excessive, as I'm going to guess that benefits are consideralbly more...a kind of an 'investment' the individual makes to help get him or her on their feet.

3. Exactly how much are you currently giving in aid to those in need?

6. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,360
    I guess there should be NO restrictions put on these "poor" people sucking of the TAXPAYERS tit.

7. chikenwing

chikenwing Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,960
    While our war on drugs is a failure,requiring welfare recipients to pass a drug test is protecting peoples liberties by not requiring others to pay for their drugs.

8. R.D.

R.D. Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,375
    So? Don't go on welfare

9. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    There was once a cartoon in The New Yorker. It showed this very wealthy, fat cat type guy, sitting in the study of his mansion, having an afternoon cocktail with his wife. Outside in the driveway, you could see several Cadillacs, etc.

Fat Cat takes a sip of his martini and says: "You know, Margaret, you would never catch ME on welfare."

Do you think that the folks on welfare WANT to be there?

10. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,070
    Georgie-Porgie....you are totally correct! And the proof is tha only about 3-5% of folks remain in that category.

a. Journalists and academics alike endlessly repeat that the rich are getting richer while the poor are getting poorer. What these discussions ignore is that people move with some frequency from category to category over time. Only 5 percent of Americans who were in the bottom quintile of income earners in 1975 were still there in 1991. Only 25 percent of the “super-rich” in 1996 (the top 1/100th of 1 percent of income earners) remained in that category in 2005.

b. Over half of the poor earning at or near the minimum wage are between the ages of 16 and 24. As Sowell wryly notes, “these individuals cannot remain from 16 to 24 years of age indefinitely, though that age category can of course continue indefinitely, providing many intellectuals with data to fit their preconceptions.”

c. Abstract talk about “inequities” in income distribution presupposes a social problem, where strictly speaking one may not exist at all. Sowell’s analysis helps us understand why intellectuals so often call for government to promote economic redistribution.
    http://www.city-journal.org/2010/bc0618dm.html

See, the Left knows what a softee you are, so they wave the 'poor' flag.

Last edited: May 7, 2011