Congratulations to the GOP

Good night for Republicans. Not actually a terrible night for Democrats, who didn't lose nearly as bad as they did in 2010. If you think back just 20 years, Democratic senate candidates kept things relatively close in states like Kentucky, Georgia, and other places that used to go easily Republican and by about 20 points. They only lost these races by single digits.

Everything changes now. Republicans are no longer the opposition. They now get to govern and I'm interested in seeing what they decide to do now that they're in a position of leadership.

John McCain now becomes head of the Armed Services Committee, and he has said we should end the sequester on the Pentagon. He is pushing for additional defense spending.

Some Republicans are pushing for more tax cuts.

Those two priorities cost money. What will they cut? Will they now try to raise some revenue so they can pay for their stuff?

This is going to be an interesting 2 years.
Are you kidding? Normally the GOP is lucky to knock off 2 senators. They cleaned the clocks of 7 of them. As for the House, we haven't seen levels like this since WW2. Tuesday was a tsunami; not a freakin' wave.
3 or 4 DEM senators retired. If Harkin or Rockefeller were on the ticket, they wouldn't have been in play. Plain and simple. The GOP would still have the Senate I think but there is a reason for the dominance. Policy differences are real but the Parties are closer than they are different.

In good news for the Democrats ... Former Governor and convicted felon Edwin Edwards came out of retirement (got out of prison) and made it to the run-off for Congressional District 6 (Bill Cassidy's House seat).

Good night for Republicans. Not actually a terrible night for Democrats, who didn't lose nearly as bad as they did in 2010. If you think back just 20 years, Democratic senate candidates kept things relatively close in states like Kentucky, Georgia, and other places that used to go easily Republican and by about 20 points. They only lost these races by single digits.

Everything changes now. Republicans are no longer the opposition. They now get to govern and I'm interested in seeing what they decide to do now that they're in a position of leadership.

John McCain now becomes head of the Armed Services Committee, and he has said we should end the sequester on the Pentagon. He is pushing for additional defense spending.

Those two priorities cost money. What will they cut? Will they now try to raise some revenue so they can pay for their stuff?

Are you kidding? Normally the GOP is lucky to knock off 2 senators. They cleaned the clocks of 7 of them. As for the House, we haven't seen levels like this since WW2. Tuesday was a tsunami; not a freakin' wave.
3 or 4 DEM senators retired. If Harkin or Rockefeller were on the ticket, they wouldn't have been in play. Plain and simple. The GOP would still have the Senate I think but there is a reason for the dominance. Policy differences are real but the Parties are closer than they are different.

In good news for the Democrats ... Former Governor and convicted felon Edwin Edwards came out of retirement (got out of prison) and made it to the run-off for Congressional District 6 (Bill Cassidy's House seat).

Oh, I remember him! Do you know the entire story about him? :D

I was born and raised in Louisiana (although I have been around the world since) and Edwin Edwards has always been a Democrat folk-hero around the state. He is an old school Huey P Long style Democrat ... Unashamed to say he is willing to help out his friends regardless of any pesky laws that might get in the way.

There used to be a joke about the fact he could win an election against God as long as he had the poll workers on his side.

Edit:
The one thing that most of the people say about Edwin Edwards getting elected is that no matter what ... You know what you are getting.

Last edited:
No one in the mainstream is going to follow Cruz or Lee anywhere.

Lee has been kissing as here with the mainstream since the primary laws changed, making him much more vulnerable to a mainstream primary challenger.
Cruz is a smart man who represents middle American values of honesty, decency and fair play.

If you believe that then your middle name is gullible.

There were 12 candidates on the ballot. Nine were republican. Edwin is a disgrace, just like David Duke who keeps popping up from under his rock.

I remember that election back then with "the Fuhrer or the Felon" posters. What a hoot.

There were 12 candidates on the ballot. Nine were republican. Edwin is a disgrace, just like David Duke who keeps popping up from under his rock.

He received 30% of the vote and his closest challenger received 27% of the vote. If it had been a straight vote instead of a run-off, he would have won.

He received 30% of the vote and his closest challenger received 27% of the vote. If it had been a straight vote instead of a run-off, he would have won.

I understand what you are saying. It is embarrassing. A lot of D's voted R this round, they just split the vote. 64% of the vote went to Republicans.

This is statistically untrue. The GOP picked up 6 seats in 2010. I will likely pick up 9 seats this time around, when all is said and done. And I may just do it with a PV margin that is slightly LOWER than 2010.

You just have to live here to understand.

Edwin went to Congress as a young man, and became known as the fastest zipper in DC.

Like a crazed banty rooster, in an amazing show of bipartisanship, he laid wives and staff on both sides of the aisle, earning the undying hate of a hard core group of cuckolded husbands and BFs in his wake, Hell bent to see him in jail.

He was hounded, and hounded and hounded, and finally jailed in a trial so full of paid government liars it is a disgrace.

He did his time, and people still love him for the things he did for us.

And he never lied and wagged his finger saying things like "I never had sexual relations with that women".

He was more like, "Hell yeah, I drilled her in the Senator's own personal office chair".

I saw he wins, and wish I had not changed my district.

Long Live The Governor

No, he is not, and you are not middle America, AvgGuy, if you support the Canadian Cruz.

We did well in the Senate because there were no Angles, Millers, witches, etc., for a change.

I am so glad the mainstream leadership is in charge.
I heard Christie gets a lot of credit for making sure the best candidates were put forth.

I think that speaks highly of his political skills, and I hope he applies it to himself and does not run.

I WILL NEVER vote for a fatass, sweaty lipped Bruce Springsteen fan.

Edwin went to Congress as a young man, and became known as the fastest zipper in DC.

Like a crazed banty rooster, in an amazing show of bipartisanship, he laid wives and staff on both sides of the aisle, earning the undying hate of a hard core group of cuckolded husbands and BFs in his wake, Hell bent to see him in jail.

He was hounded, and hounded and hounded, and finally jailed in a trial so full of paid government liars it is a disgrace.

And he never lied and wagged his finger saying things like "I never had sexual relations with that women".

He was more like, "Hell yeah, I drilled her in the Senator's own personal office chair".

Long Live The Governor

Actually, I was thinking of his positive role in the 1990 gubernatorial race, in which the battle cry to keep David Duke out of the Senate was: "vote for the crook, it's important".

:thup:

"Well he's been like a father to me,

He's the only Governor you could call after three,

I was a wayward son, hell bent on grief,

Thank God for Edwin who brought me relief."

I love that man!

Eighty something, has the grip and strength of an LSU linebacker.

Last edited:

Long Live The Governor

A lot can be said for Edwin Edwards ... Like I mentioned, he wasn't ashamed and isn't a liar.

Thanks, but the GOP didn't actually DO anything to earn a congratulations. OK, they didn't screw up their campaigns, so maybe they did do something.

That is not all. They have huge majority in the house, 31 (really 32 since the AK governor is a former Republican and is very right leaning) and ginormous gains in the State legislature.

There is one devil of a problem the GOP has now. How can they change from obstructionist to a law making organization. I don't see it happening and 2016 is a very big problem where things may reverse across the board. The GOP has 2 years to get off their asses and get to work. If not, get ready for one hell of a rout.
GOP sent 300 bills to senate and passed a budget. Harry Reid did neither. We're not the obstructionist. Get new talking point. America rejected your ideology soundly.

Indeed.........this BS narrative is laughable.......that the GOP stalled the legislatiive process in the house. Hmmmm.....................then why didnt the electorate Ray Rice republicans and vote in all Dums Tuesday?:dunno::dunno:

Logic fAIL is gay.:fu:

Long Live The Governor

A lot can be said for Edwin Edwards ... Like I mentioned, he wasn't ashamed and isn't a liar.

He was too good and too loyal to some of his friends, who turned out to be paid informants.

Forum List

Back