Congrats to the happy couple

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Elton on AIDS funding, marriage equality, pending wedding

The U.S. and U.K. arms of the Elton John AIDS Foundation have raised more than $300 million in the past two decades, and a good chunk of that comes from the singer's annual Oscar bash, a glitzy, celebrity-studded affair that ends up assisting some of the neediest among those afflicted with the disease.

This year, John's party raised $5.1 million. This week, Funders for LGBTQ Issues identified EJAF as the largest funder of programs for black lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer individuals.

"In America, we're now the biggest funder of African Americans, other minority groups, IV drug users, people in prison," John said in a recent interview. "I want to concentrate on the people who could get left behind because the funding's being cut. We stand for those people. We're not going to let them be forgotten."...

"It's a gradual process," John says. "I'm a great believer in the public being good at heart. (Republicans) ran on anti-gay marriage and stuff like that, but more people are in favor of equality than the people who are against it. People may rail against it and raise their ugly heads, but the reality in America is that the dominoes are falling. I'm not so sure about the rest of the world, in places like Uganda, Russia and India."

John and Furnish, partners since 1993, formed a civil partnership in England in 2005 and have two sons born to a surrogate mother. They plan to marry in England, where same-sex marriage legislation was passed last year and takes effect March 29.

"When we get back to England in the springtime, we'll get married," John says. "It won't be a big occasion. It will be private. In my lifetime, I never thought I'd be able to have a civil partnership and also be able to marry my partner. You bet I'm going to take advantage of the laws that so many people have fought to change over the years. I'm thrilled."

And, good for him for doing so much to help.

When you accept that there are people who don't believe as you do, and you are capable of treating them with the same respect you demand of them as far as equality is concerned, then you can claim you are for equality. Otherwise, don't lecture us about equality when even you are incapable of practicing it.

Equality means tolerating everyone not just half of them.

Last edited:
And, its not just gays who get aids. Nor is it passed only through unprotected sex.

`

"I don't want to be married. I'm very happy with a civil partnership. If gay people want to get married, or get together, they should have a civil partnership. The word 'marriage,' I think, puts a lot of people off. You get the same equal rights that we do when we have a civil partnership. Heterosexual people get married. We can have civil partnerships" - E. John

I guess he evolved :rolleyes:

When you accept that there are people who don't believe as you do, and you are capable of treating them with the same respect you demand of them as far as equality is concerned, then you can claim you are for equality. Otherwise, don't lecture us about equality when even you are incapable of practicing it.

Equality means tolerating everyone not just half of them.

You want others to tolerate your intolerance. Why not start a thread on the subject? This forum needs a thread like that.

Forum List

Back