Confession

S

sky dancer

Is it good for the soul? What are your ideas of its value?

If you are a theist, who do you confess to, and is it private or public?

What about atheists? Any value to confession?

I've often thought one of the problems with our justice system is that it does not allow people to clear up problems with each other by making non-admission of wrong doing a legal strategy.

What role, (if any) does confession play in your life?

As a kid I was Roman Catholic and of course followed the rituals including this one. As a kid it had no value for me, naturally. Since I bailed out of the Catholic Church at a young age I can't give an adult's view on it.

However, speaking as an agnostic adult I have to say that facing up to my own shortcomings and faults (I have a list but it wouldn't fit on here) helps me to deal with them. Denying them is bullshit. I don't need a god to absolve me, I do need secular advice to help me deal with them.

I've often thought one of the problems with our justice system is that it does not allow people to clear up problems with each other by making non-admission of wrong doing a legal strategy.

If you mean formal, religious confession a la the Catholic Church, can't say I've ever seen the point, not being a Catholic myself. I do my religious confessing straight to God.

In terms of confessing wrongs done to other human beings, I think there's a lot of value to be found in going to the wronged party and confessing and making amends. It can clear the air and allow both parties to move forward from that point. I will say, however, that if the only benefit in confessing is to make YOU feel better, and will do nothing to improve the life of the other person, it's maybe worthwhile to consider keeping your yap shut about it.

I confess to you privately.... he he

I think telling people the good the bad and the ugly about yourself promotes mental stability, good relationships and encourages you to act postitively. Admitting wrong ain't easy. If you are committed to a life of honesty and transparency you are more likely to act that way.

Confession is perfect. You can be a piece of shit all week, and atone on Sunday.

That way, you can still get into heaven.

I think confession was dreamed up by priests so they could live vicariously through their parishioners.

It is the original version of the voyeur web site.

I think telling people the good the bad and the ugly about yourself promotes mental stability, good relationships and encourages you to act postitively. Admitting wrong ain't easy. If you are committed to a life of honesty and transparency you are more likely to act that way.

I think you are correct on this...in most cases!

Of course there will always be some exceptions, that you or I would not be able to forsee in each individual circumstance or situation....as outsiders, imo.

Care

Confession is good for ones soul imo.

It helps us grow and become better people, when we are able to recognize our own shortcomings and address them, repent, so to say...

It does not have to be about a relationship or partner....

confession, can be you confessing to yourself or a higher being, that you feel you have failed....was too rude, too mean, too selfish, too greedy, too self centered, too prideful, too angered etc....

A self acknowledgment of guilt, is the first step....to recovery! :)

Care

We have confession in Buddhism. It's part of a purification practice. We call the practice the four opponent powers.

1. We acknowledge our misdeeds and we confess them to our own wisdom nature, that has been obscured through our mistakes and harmful actions.
2. Next we sincerely regret what we have done. We reflect on the disadvantages of continuing our mistakes.
3. We make a vow or pledge to not repeat the action, spoken words or thoughts.
4. We bring in the light until we feel completely pure again.

Confession is perfect. You can be a piece of shit all week, and atone on Sunday.

That way, you can still get into heaven.

You must be a former Catholic.

That's a misuse of confession, it's not supposed to be like that. IN the RCC, I think that concept is a holdover from the time when priests sold redemption to complete scoundrels for a large fee.

The idea of confession in Buddhism is to acknowledge the wrong, take responsibility for it, regret it, pledge to not repeat it and then bring in some light to the situation.

confession is the opposite of PRIDE, in most cases, it is HUMBLING oneself....imo.

And sky, it is pretty much the same as what you say, only as a Christian, these sins are spiritually paid for, by someone else, Christ.

We may still need to get our earthly punishment, if it breaks a law of some sort, or even if it harmed someone else...it may come back to bite us, you reap what you sow....

even if you are repentant and sorry for the consequences of the original sin or shortcoming, you may still have "earthly" consequences that you must face, but the sin itself, spiritually, has been forgiven....your conscience is clean/pure....and the sin should no longer burden you, weigh you down, spiritually....this will then lead to a better situation, eventually, here on earth, after you've reaped what you've sown in the earthly realm....if need be.

That's an essential difference between Christians and Buddhists, CARE

In Buddhism, there is no God to purify your karma for us. We have to do it ourselves. Realizing your own buddha nature and resting in it moment to moment 24/7 purifies karma.

That's doesn't mean there isn't still suffering. As long as we are in cyclic existence, with physical bodies, we suffer. What remains is peace, acceptance, love, joy, compassion and equanimity.

If we truly know ourselves and our flaws, we will never stand in judgment of any other being.

It's like Thich Nhat Hanh says in his poem:

Please Call Me By My True Names

A Poem By Thich Nhat Hanh

Do not say that I'll depart tomorrow
because even today I still arrive.

Look deeply: I arrive in every second
to be a bud on a spring branch,
to be a tiny bird, with wings still fragile,
learning to sing in my new nest,
to be a caterpillar in the heart of flower,
to be a jewel hiding itself in a stone.

I still arrive, in order to laugh and to cry,
in order to fear and to hope,
the rhythm of my heart is the birth and
death of all that are alive.

I am the mayfly metamorphosing on the
surface of the river,
and I am the bird which, when spring comes,
arrives in time to eat the mayfly.

I am the frog swimming happily in the
clear water of a pond,
and I am also the grass-snake who,
approaching in silence,
feeds itself on the frog.

I am the child in Uganda, all skin and bones,
my legs as thin as bamboo sticks,
and I am the arms merchant, selling deadly
weapons to Uganda.

I am the twelve year old girl, refugee on a small boat,
who throws herself into the ocean, after being raped by a sea pirate.
And I am the pirate, my heart yet not capable of seeing and loving.
I am the member of the Politburo, with plenty of power in my hands.
And I am the man, who has to pay a debt of blood to my people,
dying slowly in a forced labour camp.

My joy is like a spring, so warm, it makes flowers bloom.
My pain is like a river of tears,so full, it fills the four oceans.
Please call me by my true names,
So I can hear all my cries and my laughs at once.
So I can see that my joy and pain are but one.
Please call me by my true names,
so I can wake up,
and so the door of my heart can be left open,

The door of compassion."

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an essential difference between Christians and Buddhists, CARE

In Buddhism, there is no God to purify your karma for you but you. Realizing your own buddha nature and resting in it moment to moment purifies karma. That's doesn't mean there aren't consequences.

As long as we are in cyclic existence, with physical bodies, we suffer.

Christianity is the only religion in the world, where the spiritual price of the sin, is paid in full by Christ, in the Spiritual ream.

Holding on to sin and the burden and guilt from being sinful, keeps one living in the sin itself to a degree and makes one feel that they never can be worthy....leading to.... so why not continue to sin type of thing....imo.

The idea that we are not worthy to receive salvation, (the next life) because we have sinned or failed in perfection, is an idea that Satan has put in to our heads and would love for us to believe, so that we would stay with him..... is what we are taught....

Knowing that an all loving God believes in the forgiveness of sins, is what keeps me WANTING to stay on the straight and narrow... out of gratefulness.... it is not an excuse for not being an ethical/moral person....but humbling that I and you and everyone human is loved so much, that we are forgiven for our transgression if we seek such.

Forum List

Back