Confederate Flag: Symbol of ?

The confederate flag is a symbol of the most casualties ( 750,000 ) the US has ever sustained in a War.

“But wars have profound economic, demographic and social costs,” he went on. “We’re seeing at least 37,000 more widows here, and 90,000 more orphans. That’s a profound social impact, and it’s our duty to get it right.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/s...cent-in-new-estimate.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

From February 1864 until the end of the American Civil War (1861-65) in April 1865, Andersonville, Georgia, served as the site of a notorious Confederate military prison. The prison at Andersonville, officially called Camp Sumter, was the South's largest prison for captured Union soldiers and known for its unhealthy conditions and high death rate. In all, approximately 13,000 Union prisoners perished at Andersonville, and following the war its commander, Captain Henry Wirz (1823-65), was tried, convicted and executed for war crimes.
Andersonville — History.com Articles, Video, Pictures and Facts

There Confederate Flag is the symbol of the worst period of our history.
Nothing to ever be proud about.

the war was not necessary.

Lincoln could have let them go.

And all the southern states would have obeyed his command.:cuckoo:

Licoln could have let them secede.

Virginia, North Carolna, Tennessee and Arkansas might have remained in the union.

Nobody has questioned your individual right to declare your racism

It is when you insist that schools and government agencies support your racism that it becomes an issue

and no one is questioning your right to declare your racism either :D

it isn't racism to point out others' racism.

it's impressive how racists like trying that little scam, though.

IMO saying that the confederate flag is a symbol of racism is racist :D

Nobody has questioned your individual right to declare your racism

It is when you insist that schools and government agencies support your racism that it becomes an issue

It's impressive to me that you believe the falsiities you spew. The civil war was a war of states rights. Some of the southern states wanted to secede from the union. Slave holders lived in the northern and western states also. Did you know the AMerican indian tribes had slaves?

It's impressive to me that you believe the falsiities you spew. The civil war was a war of states rights. Some of the southern states wanted to secede from the union. Slave holders lived in the northern and western states also. Did you know the AMerican indian tribes had slaves?

Yea.....a war to protect a states right to allow slavery

The Confederate Constitution was for the most part identical to the US Constitution with one notable exception......It gave you a Constitutional right to own slaves

The Confederate Constitution was for the most part identical to the US Constitution with one notable exception......It gave you a Constitutional right to own slaves

you can not say that about 4 states that seceded and three of those states supplied major armies to the confederacy

you can not say that about 4 states that seceded and three of those states supplied major armies to the confederacy

Slavery in the Permanent Confederate Constitution « Civil War Emancipation

Article I, Section 9, Clause 4 made slaves a sancrosanct type of property within the Confederacy, with special protection under law. “No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed.“

Nobody broke into homes of the Irish in the middle of the night to drag off and lynch a family member wearing a Mickey Mouse hat. If they did, that hat would be offensive to the Irish.

What? Im sorry this statement does not make sense to me.

Not surprised

Its because the statement doesn't make sense, I could have been a lot more impolite about it, but this is the free debate zone. Why would #1 an irish person wear the mickey hat if it was symbol of prejudice against them? #2 why would someone prejudice towards the irish break into their house and lynch them for wearing a symbol that is prejudice towards them?

Speaking as a lifelong Californian, I see a great dichotomy in the perception of the Confederate Flag between White and Black Americans. For my Black friends, it seems to be a symbol of slavery, segregation, discrimination and racism. For my White friends, it is a symbol of Civil War military battles, moonshine and backwoods shenanigans a la the Dukes of Hazard.

I wonder if these divergent views will ever be reconciled. :confused:

Its a symbol of immature southern frat boys

Speaking as a lifelong Californian, I see a great dichotomy in the perception of the Confederate Flag between White and Black Americans. For my Black friends, it seems to be a symbol of slavery, segregation, discrimination and racism. For my White friends, it is a symbol of Civil War military battles, moonshine and backwoods shenanigans a la the Dukes of Hazard.

Id agree with that statement.

What? Im sorry this statement does not make sense to me.

Not surprised

Its because the statement doesn't make sense, I could have been a lot more impolite about it, but this is the free debate zone. Why would #1 an irish person wear the mickey hat if it was symbol of prejudice against them? #2 why would someone prejudice towards the irish break into their house and lynch them for wearing a symbol that is prejudice towards them?

More clueless than I originally thought

It is OTHER people wearing the hat when they lynch you
Just like it was OTHER people waving the confederate flag

confederate-flag-klansman-noose.jpg

Just'a good ol' boys
Never meanin' no harm.
Beats all you never saw
Been in trouble with the law
Since the day they was born

KKK and other Aryan nation hate groups are far more active these days in the midwest and northwest than in the south.

Slavery in the Permanent Confederate Constitution « Civil War Emancipation

Article I, Section 9, Clause 4 made slaves a sancrosanct type of property within the Confederacy, with special protection under law. “No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed.“

why did VA, AR, TN and NC secede?

KKK and other Aryan nation hate groups are far more active these days in the midwest and northwest than in the south.

never saw a KKK member in my life.

have you?

Not surprised

Thank you for proving my point. No one gets upset about mickey mouse, or about the christian cross (except for vampires, and when its on government property). These were once symbols or relics of bad parts in human history, but have taken on a different meaning. There are other examples of this. Take for instance the N-word, very derogatory back in the day, and when used by the wrong people, can still be very derogatory today (just like confederate flag). Yet for many blacks, most notably the fans of hip-hop culture, the N-word has taken on a different meaning. It is kind of hard to hear an uncensored rap song that does not use the n-word. If you were to place strict meaning on the n-word (like you are on the confederate flag) as solely a racist word, then there would be many black people you would have to say that are racist against blacks. You obviously dont hear that because the statement is ridiculous. Just because you can argue that back then the confederate flag was a symbol of slavery (functional word being argue), does not mean that it will never take on a different meaning. To many people, the confederate flag says to them, the southern way of living is the best.

Thank you for proving my point. No one gets upset about mickey mouse, or about the christian cross (except for vampires, and when its on government property). These were once symbols or relics of bad parts in human history, but have taken on a different meaning. There are other examples of this. Take for instance the N-word, very derogatory back in the day, and when used by the wrong people, can still be very derogatory today (just like confederate flag). Yet for many blacks, most notably the fans of hip-hop culture, the N-word has taken on a different meaning. It is kind of hard to hear an uncensored rap song that does not use the n-word. If you were to place strict meaning on the n-word (like you are on the confederate flag) as solely a racist word, then there would be many black people you would have to say that are racist against blacks. You obviously dont hear that because the statement is ridiculous. Just because you can argue that back then the confederate flag was a symbol of slavery (functional word being argue), does not mean that it will never take on a different meaning. To many people, the confederate flag says to them, the southern way of living is the best.

"when used by the wrong people"

You are a scream there Moe. Gang bang rappers calling women whores and bitches, advocating ******* being shot with AKs are the "right" people?

You are a scream there Moe. Gang bang rappers calling women whores and bitches, advocating ******* being shot with AKs are the "right" people?

Uh I dont know what your getting at, but you clearly missed the point, which is the word has taken on a different meaning. And the proof of that is that it is not racist when a black person says it, according to our culture.

Uh I dont know what your getting at, but you clearly missed the point, which is the word has taken on a different meaning. And the proof of that is that it is not racist when a black person says it, according to our culture.

Then your culture is fucked up.

Forum List

Back