Confederate Flag: Symbol of ?

The Confederate flag is the symbol of failure of slave owning pussies.

The Confederate flag was not the flag of the west Africans that rounded up and sold their own people into bondage which still goes on to this day.
My Quaker ancestors fought against slavery from Clintondale NY and assisted with the underground railroad. One can look at the records there now and see The Friends church there with the Walker and Terhune families that I am descended from on my mother's side.
The white man was primarily the backer of the African slave trade but many African tribes cooperated greatly and assisted for the cash.

The Confederate flag was not the flag of the west Africans that rounded up and sold their own people into bondage which still goes on to this day.
My Quaker ancestors fought against slavery from Clintondale NY and assisted with the underground railroad. One can look at the records there now and see The Friends church there with the Walker and Terhune families that I am descended from on my mother's side.
The white man was primarily the backer of the African slave trade but many African tribes cooperated greatly and assisted for the cash.

And dont forget that many whites gave their lives to free black slaves that they have never meet.

Its because the statement doesn't make sense, I could have been a lot more impolite about it, but this is the free debate zone. Why would #1 an irish person wear the mickey hat if it was symbol of prejudice against them? #2 why would someone prejudice towards the irish break into their house and lynch them for wearing a symbol that is prejudice towards them?

More clueless than I originally thought

It is OTHER people wearing the hat when they lynch you
Just like it was OTHER people waving the confederate flag

Thank you for proving my point. No one gets upset about mickey mouse, or about the christian cross (except for vampires, and when its on government property). These were once symbols or relics of bad parts in human history, but have taken on a different meaning. There are other examples of this. Take for instance the N-word, very derogatory back in the day, and when used by the wrong people, can still be very derogatory today (just like confederate flag). Yet for many blacks, most notably the fans of hip-hop culture, the N-word has taken on a different meaning. It is kind of hard to hear an uncensored rap song that does not use the n-word. If you were to place strict meaning on the n-word (like you are on the confederate flag) as solely a racist word, then there would be many black people you would have to say that are racist against blacks. You obviously dont hear that because the statement is ridiculous. Just because you can argue that back then the confederate flag was a symbol of slavery (functional word being argue), does not mean that it will never take on a different meaning. To many people, the confederate flag says to them, the southern way of living is the best.

Blacks are allowed to use the n-word....whites are not

MPC752.jpg

Thank you for proving my point. No one gets upset about mickey mouse, or about the christian cross (except for vampires, and when its on government property). These were once symbols or relics of bad parts in human history, but have taken on a different meaning. There are other examples of this. Take for instance the N-word, very derogatory back in the day, and when used by the wrong people, can still be very derogatory today (just like confederate flag). Yet for many blacks, most notably the fans of hip-hop culture, the N-word has taken on a different meaning. It is kind of hard to hear an uncensored rap song that does not use the n-word. If you were to place strict meaning on the n-word (like you are on the confederate flag) as solely a racist word, then there would be many black people you would have to say that are racist against blacks. You obviously dont hear that because the statement is ridiculous. Just because you can argue that back then the confederate flag was a symbol of slavery (functional word being argue), does not mean that it will never take on a different meaning. To many people, the confederate flag says to them, the southern way of living is the best.

Whats your point? The meaning of the word has changed, thats my point. Address that.

But here is the most important part.

How America rose above so many other countries healing past conflicts.

But people can not, shall not, must not wipe it out. It is history. And history is a subtle weaving of facts and legends.

Dear TD: Thank you for this. it reminds me of how the historic commission groups in Texas are able to include the Hispanic and Mexican American history and heroes right along with the Texas and American history, and there is no need for conflict, just respect for history.

When I read about how Santa Ana was granted mercy after Texas won independence, I just wish we had that kind of civility and respect today. We have good relations with Great Britain today, but how many countries can say the same thing following their revolutions.

We aren't quite there yet with the African American history, where even the historic churches in my neighborhood are allowed to burn down, and people are pressured NOT to defend the national history but to wipe it out. Also the people of African descent were voted out of some the Native American tribes, and that caused a huge problem not resolved yet.

We cannot rush the stages of grief, recovery and healing; but just provide a free and safe environment for people to go through their stages of development and support the process.
That is one strength that I see American culture provides, if people use these tools for good!

Why should I give a shit if somebody wants to display a Confederate flag, or an Irish flag, or a Mexican flag. I don't get why people get so upset about this kind of thing. Now, on the other hand, we do live in the U.S., and if somebody wants to fly a flag in front of their house of another country, that's okay with me, but I think it is reasonable to require the U.S. flag to fly above it, as it is viewable by the public. If somebody wants to display a flag from another country, past or present, within their home in prominence that's their business.

I got into a mild ideological debate with a coworker once over this very topic. He grew up in Texas, but now lives in Arizona. He is constantly complaining about how things are in Arizona, and how much better things are done in Texas, and how much better Texas is. It's slightly annoying, but ultimately it doesn't bother me much. However, in the same day he will complain about people from other countries displaying a flag from their country, or coming to the U.S. as immigrants and talking about their own country, or failing to do what he sees as assimilating to the customs of the U.S. The debate stemmed from me having heard these two contradicting diatribes one too many times and asking him if would just move back to Texas if he loved it so much. I didn't really care, actually, but it was just such a glaring contradiction.

People have certain cultural attachments. Who cares? Hell, I knew a black man when I served in the Navy who was from Louisiana who displayed a Confederate flag in his home. As strange as that struck me when I first saw it, I soon realized it was nothing more than a cultural identification of where he was from. My in-laws who are from Ireland fly a U.S. flag in the front of their house, with an Irish flag right under it. Yet if somebody were to fly a Mexican flag with a U.S. flag in the same manner, people would have a larger problem with it. I do not. People immigrate/emigrate, and they hold onto parts of where they are from. It is not necessarily an insult to the U.S., or to any particular race or culture, to do so.

so then blacks are not allowed to use the words
cracker
pink ears
honky
snowflake
whitey
etc

Last edited:
To me the Confederate flag is a symbol of the brave men and women who fought and died for it. May God bless our nation and all Americans!

The confederate flag in the minds of many people has the same connotations as the swastika has. You can argue different meanings, but to blacks and most whites, it is a symbol of slavery and hatred. Can you change the swastika back to its original symbolism, neither can you change the Confederate flag back for history doesn't disappear because it is unpleasant. People who imagine another meaning for the flag should recognize the fact the flag has stood for intolerance and hatred and that use continues today. Because some who fly the flag do not hate does not change anything in the minds and perceptions of others. One wonders how tolerant the defenders would be if a nation of Islam flag showed up.

Yet, the country that is currently using the flag of the USA held slaves (and used slaves) much longer than the Confederacy ever did.
I'm not agreeing with slavery, just pointing out a fact that you seem to be unaware of.

This has very little to do with slavery, and very much to do with northerners contempt for all things Southern.

We get it, you don't like us...we don't care.

This has very little to do with slavery, and very much to do with northerners contempt for all things Southern.

Yea...

Next thing ya know they will be banning country music, rotgut beer, Waffle Houses and marrying your cousin.

Yea...

Next thing ya know they will be banning country music, rotgut beer, Waffle Houses and marrying your cousin.

I see you didn't waste any time proving my point.

I sincerely appreciate your expeditiousness .

Only a idiot thinks southern still means confederate.

The Stars and Bars is still the symbol of the south and southern heritage and culture.

Northerners hate the fact the South still stands together.

Get over it.

Last edited:

Only a idiot thinks southern still means confederate.

The Stars and Bars is still the symbol of the south and southern heritage and culture.

Northerners hate the fact the South still stands together.

Get over it.

Like said only a idiot.

And dont forget that many whites gave their lives to free black slaves that they have never meet.

Good point but conscription was where most of the union troops came from after the initial enlistments. Immigrants were taken at gun point off of ships in NY harbor and forced to fight for the union.

Missourian does make a good point with many in the north having contempt for us southerners.
I have many relatives up north and many have moved down here over the last 30 years.
"Where is a good butcher" "Where is a good laundry" and all kinds of bitching and moaning.
But they keep coming in droves because union shop states, corrupt politicians up north and falling apart infrastructure up north send them here.
And they love our beautiful women, new and kept roads, affordable cost of living and weather down here.
But we love folks from the north down here when they show up with their football teams as we normally beat them.
We accept and welcome everyone here. However, when we go up north not the case with them accepting us all the time.
Okay for them to butcher the hell out of the English language yet when one of us does it we are hicks.
Add in liberal media and TV where they always depict us southerners as dumb asses.

But for those that keep bitching and moaning Delta is ready when you are.

Forum List

Back